Italian V8 (F430)
16 (42.1%)
German V8 (RS4, M3)
4 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

SVT666

omicron

SVT_Power

No british V8's? Esprit, TVR's, etc anyone?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Stock or modified? Old or new? I can't pick one. All of the above.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: M_power on August 20, 2007, 12:00:27 PM
No british V8's? Esprit, TVR's, etc anyone?
They suck.  Vote on the one of these three.

Eye of the Tiger

OMG I just remembered, a TR8 with FLowmasters. Slow, but awesome sound. :praise:

SVT_Power

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 20, 2007, 12:03:55 PM
They suck.  Vote on the one of these three.

:nono:  TVR V8's sound good. But choosing from one of the three...american
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

I just checked TVR's website and they only have V6s.

TBR

They're inline 6s I thought? TVR did previously sell V8s, but I  think they were actually hopped up Rover V8s.

The Vantage does sound real nice. I voted for the Germans, I prefer the pitch of, say, the RS4, over the deep rumble of the Americans (which can really fall off at higher rpms) or the wail of the Italians (which probably sound flaccid at lower rpms). What we need are some good sound clips.

Raghavan

I can't decide between German and Italian.

Raghavan

Quote from: TBR on August 20, 2007, 12:28:17 PM
They're inline 6s I thought? TVR did previously sell V8s, but I think they were actually hopped up Rover V8s.

The Vantage does sound real nice. I voted for the Germans, I prefer the pitch of, say, the RS4, over the deep rumble of the Americans (which can really fall off at higher rpms) or the wail of the Italians (which probably sound flaccid at lower rpms). What we need are some good sound clips.
Here's a great sound clip:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mVQLXUvJjNQ

Eye of the Tiger

After surfing Yout00b some time, while limiting myself to only the suggestions listed in parenthesis, I have chosen the F430.

FoMoJo

Quote from: TBR on August 20, 2007, 12:28:17 PM
They're inline 6s I thought? TVR did previously sell V8s, but I? think they were actually hopped up Rover V8s.

I think that you're, probably, right.  Off the top of my head...I don't feel like looking it up...the Rover V8, I believe, was developed from the old (60s) Buick Skylark V8 that found it's way into a number of applications...including a boat engine.  It was also used in a number of racing applications.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

I chose American V8.? Italian V8s sound nice but they don't sound like V8s.? The V8 in a Merc sounds okay as well, but not as nice as most American V8s.? Of course my favourite engine sound is a 289 HiPo with free-flow mufflers.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ChrisV

I love italian V8s, though there are different sounds from them. There are too many American V8 sounds to pick one as the definitive American V8, though the Ford 5.0 tends to have the best balance of rumble and ripping. Which is also why I like the sound of my BMW V8 when on the throttle. It sounds like a small block should, with a touch of small bore "rip"

Still, I voted for the Italians, for making some of the most delicious ear candy of anyone.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT_Power

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 20, 2007, 12:14:33 PM
I just checked TVR's website and they only have V6s.

Oh wait. They stopped putting V8s in their road cars in '03

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 20, 2007, 01:04:25 PM
I chose American V8.? Italian V8s sound nice but they don't sound like the old American V8s that I am accustomed to.? The V8 in a Merc sounds okay as well, but not as nice as most American V8s.? Of course my favourite engine sound is a 289 HiPo with free-flow mufflers.

Fixed? :ohyeah:

I like 'em, too, and you must know that one of my tertiary goals in life to own a 350 chevy-powered 914 Porsche, but I can't not love an F430 winding out every gear to 8,500 rpm.

Eye of the Tiger

And if there are two engine noises I am actually growing tired of, it's the American V8 (usually with Flowmasters, and usually on a pickup truck, so it doesn't even go very fast), and the Harleys with straight-pipes (also slow). Everybody and their brother is out here running the same basic thing, and I am sick of hearing it everywhere I go.

There really aren't enough ric30rs and young squid punks on sport bikes in these parts to balance out the number of redneck NASCAR fans with trucks, and well-off middle-aged men who want to look like bad-asses on Harleys.
The sound of some 4-bangers with farty-pipes would actually be refreshing right now. I should start a ric30r gang.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 20, 2007, 01:35:18 PM
...or you could listen to a real V8.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1D8qwa2wfjM

If by "real" you mean unbalanced and inefficient, then no thanks, I'll take the Ferrari.  :evildude:

Quote from: NACar on August 20, 2007, 01:38:59 PM
And if there are two engine noises I am actually growing tired of, it's the American V8 (usually with Flowmasters, and usually on a pickup truck, so it doesn't even go very fast), and the Harleys with straight-pipes (also slow). Everybody and their brother is out here running the same basic thing, and I am sick of hearing it everywhere I go.

There really aren't enough ric30rs and young squid punks on sport bikes in these parts to balance out the number of redneck NASCAR fans with trucks, and well-off middle-aged men who want to look like bad-asses on Harleys.
The sound of some 4-bangers with farty-pipes would actually be refreshing right now. I should start a ric30r gang.

I agree, you hear the American V8 rumble everywhere and it just isn't as special.? The LS6 makes a great noise, but it can't compare to the amazing screams of the Ferrari V8's.? I heard a F430 roaring down the road and it just sounds like it's more special. So I voted Italian V8.?

giant_mtb

Quote from: 565 on August 20, 2007, 02:01:58 PM
I agree, you hear the American V8 rumble everywhere and it just isn't as special.  The LS6 makes a great noise, but it can't compare to the amazing screams of the Ferrari V8's.  I heard a F430 roaring down the road and it just sounds like it's more special. So I voted Italian V8. 

That's because the only time you'll hear an Italian V8 is when it's in some sort of multi-hundred-thousand dollar car.  The beauty of the American V8 is that it's available for cheap.  Then again, that's not what this thread/vote is about. :lol:

SVT666

The Italians do sound nice, but nothing compares to the sound of a cammed out American V8 that just sits there shaking the whole car at idle.

GoCougs

Italians - high-winding, flat-plane crank V8 for me...

Onslaught

Italian for me. I don't hate the American sound but I'm not a fan of it. That and American V8's are normally in American cars.

goldenlover1101

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

JYODER240

Italian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOA6zij5mWM

American: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDWRWlMEjRg&mode=related&search=

British (should have been included): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DPXYS_1pRI

German: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0QIAad1TCY

1. Italian
2. British
3. German/American

The classic American V8 sound doesn't do much for me. There's nothing special or impressive about it. It sounds just like all the lifted trucks around here with exhausts. It's a bunch of loud noise. I prefer the high-reving rip of the Italians. It sounds almost frenic where the American V8 sounds lazy. In this case of the British sounds really good too. It's crude but doesn't sound lazy and it really lets loose up top. Most German V8s sound to tame IMO.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Mak450

To date my all time favorite V8 sound is that of the SLR McClaren, but overall I would go with American.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on August 20, 2007, 12:04:36 PM
OMG I just remembered, a TR8 with FLowmasters. Slow, but awesome sound. :praise:

That V8 is a Buick/Rover engine.

I don't really think there's a single definitive "American V8" sound. Sure, there's the "common American V8 sound," which basically means "under-Mufflered small block with a relatively mild cam and way-too-heavy flywheel."

How many people think of the tunnel-port Fords that reved to 8000 RPM and loped like mad at anything under 3, or the short, staccato bursts of a full race cammed 426? That don't sound like no pick-em-up truck to me.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 20, 2007, 10:29:01 PM
That V8 is a Buick/Rover engine.

I don't really think there's a single definitive "American V8" sound. Sure, there's the "common American V8 sound," which basically means "under-Mufflered small block with a relatively mild cam and way-too-heavy flywheel."

How many people think of the tunnel-port Fords that reved to 8000 RPM and loped like mad at anything under 3, or the short, staccato bursts of a full race cammed 426? That don't sound like no pick-em-up truck to me.

If your point is that this thread is pointless, then your point is well taken.  :ohyeah: