What to do with the Caddy?

Started by southdiver1, August 21, 2007, 09:55:08 AM

What "theme" should I do for my 49 Cadillac?

Save up the money and go stock
11 (73.3%)
Gloss black with flames
1 (6.7%)
flat black with "nose art"
3 (20%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

southdiver1

OK folks, I am slowing down on the engine a bit and I am going to start on the body work.
After pricing just the chrome "spears" for the doors and fenders, those peices alone will run close to $1000.00 so, I am looking at other options.
I am NOT going to cut the rear end or chop the top just in case I want to make changes in the future or sell the car.
Option 1:
Option 2: (the closest I could find)
Option 3: (just the idea)
Option 4:... make a suggestion.
You can see the car at the top of the garage section.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

Eye of the Tiger

Two words: Flat. Black.

Two more words: Rat. Rod.

:praise:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

If finances allow, I'd go stock looking.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

S204STi

I think that classic cars of this sort should generally look original, but then the second option is a very good alternative.  I personally dislike the "rat rod" look.

Secret Chimp

Give it nice bright paint, but lower it just a little and throw a set of these on:

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

ChrisV

I'd go with lowered over whitewalls and flat black for now, due to how much work it would be to get it ready for real paint.

Being as it's a 4 door sedan, it won't be worth as much in stock form as you'd have into it to make it nice. And moving away from stock means you can update the parts that make it nicer to drive, like brakes and engine. Plus, if you do it tastefuly, it'll be worth more than stock in the same condition.

of course, there's always this:

You know you can't afford to make it like this right now:

So that's why I suggest the low and flat black with a caddy 500 cid in there.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

etypeJohn

I'd go stock, but I'm into restorations.

Soup DeVille

Chris's suggestion is a good one.

Just whatever you do: keep it caddy powered and don't lose the dagmars.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

It also occurs to me that a complete 331 can be quite valuable to somebody, running or not, and if you want to remove the chrome, somebody is bound to want to buy that as well.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

I've been researching, writing, and basically living Cadillac for the last 3 weeks because I'm writing display cards for our local concours d'elegance.  I know more about Cadillac than I do about Subarus at this point.  That being said, if I'm reading my handy dandy book right, you have a Series 62 sedan.  Yeah, 37,617 of them were built, but if you could see some of the cars I've seen, you would probably think factory spec. restoration.  I vote for that.  Keep the 331 (160 hp is more than enough  :ohyeah:). 

Yeah, it's an expensive chore, but in a few years, it could bring you tons of pride.  There are cars that I've gotten to research that had 15 years of restoration put into them before they were finished, if that gives you any idea of what some people will go through to make their cars what they think they should be.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

If you could see some of the cars i've seen...

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Anyways, in your Cadiilac researching activities, have you read "Master of Precision?"

Or "Autopsy of an Engine?"

the Teuton

No.  I'm doing mostly post-WWII.  I have a standard catalog of American Cars sitting next to me right now, and I've used several other standard research books with production numbers, engine specs, trim packages, etc.   :ohyeah:

I've had to do other brands, too.  I've just done a lot of Cadillac.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on August 21, 2007, 07:18:56 PM
No.? I'm doing mostly post-WWII.? I have a standard catalog of American Cars sitting next to me right now, and I've used several other standard research books with production numbers, engine specs, trim packages, etc.? ?:ohyeah:

I've had to do other brands, too.? I've just done a lot of Cadillac.

The Standard books are great. I have Buick, Cadillac and Pontiac.

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 21, 2007, 07:20:42 PM
The Standard books are great. I have Buick, Cadillac and Pontiac.

I have the big 800 page one I had to get from the library.  It's a 1997 edition of 1946-75 cars and isn't nearly as good as the newer ones.  I own another book that covers many more years, but it isn't as specific as to year-to-year changes, though.  Doing this concours thing two years now, I've learned more about Hydramatic factory fires, to Hudson's strangely clever names for paint colors, to the differences between Eldorados, Devilles, Biarritzes, and all sorts of other models, to Fordlantia, to the differences between an SS, RS, RS/SS, and all the other Camaros.  I have a wealth of useless car knowledge I've gained from all of this.

southdiver1

Thank you for all the replies.
it appears that so far, everyone is leaning towards a "real" restoration.

I must point out that I really want to be driving this car by December.
In light of that, the body will be straight and painted by that time.
The chrome probably won't be finished and the glass probably won't be replaced by that time.
As I mentioned before, I won't be cutting or chopping anything in this car so, if a few years down the road I can actually afford to buy new chrome, I can do so and the restoration won't be too bad.

Basically, by December I plan on having a running, road worthy car with SOME kind of theme going on.
The tires, suspension, brakes, and steering will all be good to go and the drivetrain will at the very least be up to completing a 100 mile trip.
The body will ABSOLUTLY be straight. While I am going to remove ALL chrome before painting, I will not be removing the glass and sand blasting the body.
The body will be hand stripped using a DA sander and a LOT of work.
I plan on doing the body work panel by panel so it is not so overwhelimg.
As soon as I get the shop manual in, I can remove the drivers side rear fender (I think it bolts off) and that will be my first body work tackle.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.

GoCougs

I said "stock" as well, because it's a four door. I think a four-door 'rod would be a bit awkward looking.

However, the flat black w/WWII bomber-like nose art is an awesome idea, and would get my vote if it were a two-door.

Zcarnut

I'd do a more modern drivetrain,braking system etc but keep it relatively stock looking.
Especially if your budget will not allow for a stock "makeover"
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

the Teuton

Four wheel drums do pose a problem, don't they?

southdiver1

Quote from: the Teuton on August 22, 2007, 09:32:39 AM
Four wheel drums do pose a problem, don't they?

Not really as long as I don't have to stop...... ever.
Actually, the bigger problem is parts for the brakes. And, because of that, I am gonna start my search for a disk conversion.
I have a feeling my 5k budget might get broken......

the Teuton

I have a rule of thumb that whatever your realistic project budget is, multiply it by 1.5 and that'll give you a better estimation of what everything will cost.

It's worked for me so far...unfortunately.  I wish everything was cheaper when it comes to cars.

the Teuton

I think the best answer to this question is what do you want to do with the car?  Do you want it to be a cruiser, a concours car, a weekend beast, or a daily driver?  Depending on your answer, it might be best to go with a rat rod and then convert it to a resto rod over time as you get the money.  Front discs are a must for daily driving, but not for a weekend car and definitely not for a concours. 

southdiver1

Quote from: the Teuton on August 22, 2007, 12:33:57 PM
I think the best answer to this question is what do you want to do with the car?? Do you want it to be a cruiser, a concours car, a weekend beast, or a daily driver?? Depending on your answer, it might be best to go with a rat rod and then convert it to a resto rod over time as you get the money.? Front discs are a must for daily driving, but not for a weekend car and definitely not for a concours.?

It will absolutly be a weekend driver.
I don't plan on driving it to work every day nor do I plan to turn it into a dragster.
I do plan on putting it in some shows and meets but, I don't plan on winning or even competing with these huge budget restoration jobs.
The problem is, I keep changing my mind every time I do anything to it.
For example, I was dead set on going with a 100% restoration until I priced out the chrome spears.
Then, I figured that I would go with the rat rod look. My wife even volenteered to "be" the nose art.
Then I saw a pix of a 57 Chevy with flames. I always wanted that.
I am thinking the best thing to do (and stay in my $5000 budget) is a rat rod look however, if I can't get the engine running and I end up putting in a 500 c.i. in it, I might change my mind once again and go for a street rod look....
(sigh)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on August 21, 2007, 11:04:08 AM
I think that classic cars of this sort should generally look original, but then the second option is a very good alternative.  I personally dislike the "rat rod" look.

While it's a nice idea to preservce the past by restoring a car to its original condition, I think if you're going to put hundreds of hours of work into rebuilding a car, you should make it whatever you want it to be. Anyway, it's not like automakers did everything perfectly 60 years ago, so I don't see the sense in repeating their mistakes.

I'm liking this idea of having the wife pose for the nose art. Just imagine the Caddy with a color scheme like this, semi-gloss black paint, red wheels and trim, whitewalls, smoothie hub caps to match whatever chrome you happen to leave on it, and your wife on the nose:  :praise:

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: southdiver1 on August 22, 2007, 01:00:11 PM
I don't plan on driving it to work every day nor do I plan to turn it into a dragster.
I do plan on putting it in some shows and meets but, I don't plan on winning or even competing with these huge budget restoration jobs.
For example, I was dead set on going with a 100% restoration until I priced out the chrome spears.
Then, I figured that I would go with the rat rod look. My wife even volenteered to "be" the nose art.
I am thinking the best thing to do (and stay in my $5000 budget) is a rat rod look however, if I can't get the engine running and I end up putting in a 500 c.i. in it, I might change my mind once again and go for a street rod look....
(sigh)

Honestly, I think it'd be best as a cruise-in kind of car then.  Go rat-rod.   :rockon:

Just don't sell any of the parts in case you ever do want to make it into a concours car or someone who buys it from you eventually does.

etypeJohn

Quote from: southdiver1 on August 22, 2007, 01:00:11 PM
(sigh)

You can always do a rolling restoration.  Get it running and safe and then have the work done as time and budget allows.  If you don't have all the chrome pieces so what, run with what you have until you find them.  You don't need to do everything at once.

southdiver1

Quote from: etypeJohn on August 23, 2007, 11:02:40 AM
You can always do a rolling restoration.? Get it running and safe and then have the work done as time and budget allows.? If you don't have all the chrome pieces so what, run with what you have until you find them.? You don't need to do everything at once.

It looks like that is what is gonna happen.
I am suprised at how expensive it is gonna be just to get my stuff re-chromed.
I am looking at around $1000.00 for both bumpers and the grill so far.
I have not even touched on the emblems and the other trim peices like the window bits....
I suppose I can just drive it without bumpers and a grill for a while and I can take off the window bits when I am ready to paint and send them off seperate.....