With the success of the Z why don't manufacturers make more sports cars???

Started by sportyaccordy, August 22, 2007, 08:04:49 PM

sportyaccordy

Like I mentioned in another thread I would be all over a hatchback Miata or S2000. I know nobody here works for any of these companies but what the hey??? It's not even like they would have to make new platforms, a lot of these companies have them already. Why do we have to get convertibles to have sports cars?

Soup DeVille

Because not enough sports cars come with overhead DVD players or 15 cupholders?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

GM:
-Solstice
-Sky
-soon-to-be Camaro/GTO

Ford:
-Mustang (Is there a need for anything else?)

Chrysler:
-Razor eventually?

Honda:
-S2000

Mazda:
-RX8
-MX-5

Nissan:
-350Z

Nope, not much more than that under $35,000.  I think a lot of them are scared because of the 1990s small sportscar influx just to be destroyed by a weak Japanese economy.  Had it not been for a weak Yen, the cars wouldn't have gone up so much in price and there'd probably still be good alternatives all over the place.  That, and anyone else remember when the Boxster started at $39,980 and the Corvette hardtop for a little less than that?  These cars are getting a bit inaccessible with prices increasing faster than the rate of inflation.  Sure, they're getting better, but less joe schmoes are beginning to be able to afford them.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Onslaught

Nissan 350Z
Mazda RX-8
Chevy Corvette
Porsche Cayman
Ford Mustang GT.  I know it's not a sports car but for Ford it's as close as you can get unless you could buy a GT.
I would add the STi or evo but I know that will get people mad.

Not a bad list. All we need is for Toyota get a pulse again and make a Supra or MR2.
I think Mazda should make something off the Kabura show car. A cheap RWD car like
that should do well with not much competition for it on the market. If they want to be known
as a sports car company then this is how you do it. Bring out 3 SUV's isn't the way.

sportyaccordy

Yea the Kabura looks to be a good look. Hopefully the styling won't be too ridiculous. Were they gonna put the RENESIS in it or go with a regular motor?

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 22, 2007, 08:43:09 PM
Yea the Kabura looks to be a good look. Hopefully the styling won't be too ridiculous. Were they gonna put the RENESIS in it or go with a regular motor?
I would think a 4 banger like the 2.3 or so. But they haven't' even said that the car will ever get made in the first place.
I don't think it will have a Rotary in it. That motor should just be in the RX-7 or RX-8 in my book. But who knows.

the Teuton

Look at the cheapie and slightly more expensive sports cars from the past and ask yourself why they failed:

-Honda Del Sol
-Mercury Capri
-Toyota MR2
-BMW Z3 1.9
-Toyota Supra
-Nissan 240SX
-Nissan 300ZX
-Mazda RX7
-Pontiac Fiero
-Mitsubishi 3000GT
-Mitsu Eclipse GSX
-Nissan Pulsar

All of them were gone by 1998 except maybe the BMW and Mitsubishi and the second iteration of the MR2.  Why?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on August 22, 2007, 08:59:33 PM
Look at the cheapie and slightly more expensive sports cars from the past and ask yourself why they failed:

-Honda Del Sol
-Mercury Capri
-Toyota MR2
-BMW Z3 1.9
-Toyota Supra
-Nissan 240SX
-Nissan 300ZX
-Mazda RX7
-Pontiac Fiero
-Mitsubishi 3000GT
-Mitsu Eclipse GSX
-Nissan Pulsar

All of them were gone by 1998 except maybe the BMW and Mitsubishi and the second iteration of the MR2.? Why?

Unfair question: some of those cars failed because they had a habit of breaking down or catching fire. Some didn't fail in the market at all, but were discontinued for other reasons. Some were replaced. Some were crap.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

I think I can answer a lot of my own question.  None of them are sold here anymore, and heck, Mitsubishi even killed off the FTO in Japan, as well as the GTO (3000GT), Toyota with the Supra in '02, Nissan with the Silvia in '05, etc.  I think it's a fairly answerable question given you know what was going on in the market at that time.

afty

I think a lot of it has to do with not having a small RWD platform on which to base a sports car.  If you have to design a dedicated platform for a sports car, it's going to be tough to turn a profit.

Soup DeVille

The Fiero died in '84, the 3000GT died in '99: there's a lot of time in that time.

S204STi

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 22, 2007, 09:09:25 PM
The Fiero died in '84, the 3000GT died in '99: there's a lot of time in that time.

The Fiero died in 1988, but it kinda started a chain reaction in the industry.  Admittedly, the Japanese cars died for a little bit different reasons, but it all happened in the same timeline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Fiero

Read the Fiero link.  It's awfully interesting.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: the Teuton on August 22, 2007, 09:07:34 PM
I think I can answer a lot of my own question.  None of them are sold here anymore, and heck, Mitsubishi even killed off the FTO in Japan, as well as the GTO (3000GT), Toyota with the Supra in '02, Nissan with the Silvia in '05, etc.  I think it's a fairly answerable question given you know what was going on in the market at that time.

I thought the last Supra we saw was made in 1998 or something? Was it the same car as that iteration up to 2002?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

TheIntrepid

I think you all are forgetting the sportiest sports car of them all! The vehicle with 3.3L and 195hp of mind-blowing fury!!!

:lol: :lol:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

sportyaccordy

If I don't want a canvas top the count goes down is all I'm saying. There should be more solid top sports cars in the low 20K range. Because if I want a roof, the only choices are

Mustang
RX-8
350Z

Then we start spending money:

328i/335i
G37

Or buying roofs for convertibles, which IMO is pointless. You still pay the high insurance and you don't get any structural rigidity from the thing.

Rich

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 23, 2007, 03:51:57 AM
If I don't want a canvas top the count goes down is all I'm saying. There should be more solid top sports cars in the low 20K range. Because if I want a roof, the only choices are

Mustang
RX-8
350Z

328i/335i
G37

Or buying roofs for convertibles, which IMO is pointless. You still pay the high insurance and you don't get any structural rigidity from the thing.

The Miata has some of the lowest insurance of any car... and a rollbar would do wonders for rigidity :huh:

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ChrisV

Quote from: Onslaught on August 22, 2007, 08:54:46 PM
I don't think it will have a Rotary in it. That motor should just be in the RX-7 or RX-8 in my book. But who knows.

Why not? They USED to put rotaries in every car they made, including sedans, station wagons, and their pickup truck...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Mustang
RX-8
350Z

328i/335i
G37

Small GTs traditionally don't sell all that well.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

r0tor

you can get an MX5 now with a folding metal hardtop!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: Onslaught on August 22, 2007, 08:54:46 PM
I would think a 4 banger like the 2.3 or so. But they haven't' even said that the car will ever get made in the first place.

theres alot of people hoping it will be sold as a revival of the RX-3 with a rotary... and alot of people that would like to see it me a revival of the MX-3 with a turbo 4 banger...

either will fit... it will be interesting
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

I think they should go with a high-po 2.3L... 200-210HP sounds nice

And ChrisV... the 3 series has done pretty well for the past few years. If they make it a good car people will buy it.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

I'll sell you my 2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT.  It's a kickass mofo. :rockon:

Nethead

sportyaccordy:? You asked the wrong question.? The proper question, asked in corporate boardrooms worldwide, is "Why don't customers buy more sportscars?"?

Repeatedly in these forums, people quibble, bitch, fuss, and whine over the proper definition of a "sportscar".?

Pick any of the definitions you've seen in these forums and compare the sales of the vehicles meeting those definitions to the sales of all the vehicles that don't.? Therein is your answer to the question that you did ask.

When times get lean, the manufacturers get mean.? They'll stick with what works best for them.? For Ferrari and Porsche, sportscars are what works best for them--and the world can be grateful for that.
Manufacturers whose core production isn't sportscars are always candidates for discontinuing their sportscars when times get tough.? Or introducing cheaper-to-produce versions and then phasing out the high-end versions when contracts with subcontractors finally run out.? I should note here that this happens to non-sportscars, too, from time to time...
So many stairs...so little time...

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 22, 2007, 08:04:49 PM
Like I mentioned in another thread I would be all over a hatchback Miata or S2000. I know nobody here works for any of these companies but what the hey??? It's not even like they would have to make new platforms, a lot of these companies have them already. Why do we have to get convertibles to have sports cars?

I agree it seems a bit odd.  The Z and the Corvette really have a golden formula when it comes to sports cars.  Big NA engines, 2 seats, RWD, auto or manual, coupe or vert,  sleek exterior, and a cheap interior to keep it affordable.  They are fun when you want them to be, livable when you need them to be, always stylish, and rather obtainable.

Yet despite these two sales leaders, few cars directly target this duo.  Compare this to the BMW 3 series, which is being attacked every which way by competitors. I guess automakers are timid to enter markets that are dominated by a single car.  It's part of the reason why the Mustang and Miata had only a few rivals over the years.  Though I think much of this fear is unwarrented because no car is invicible on the market.  GM built the solstice sky twins and aimed them directly at the well established Miata.  They've managed to beat the Miata in sales.

Cobra93

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 23, 2007, 08:04:35 AM
I'll sell you my 2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT.  It's a kickass mofo. :rockon:

I'd go for it, but EVERYONE knows those engines are only good for about 125,000 kms.   :mask:

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

NomisR

The problem with sports cars is the amount of R&D required into it to make a proper sports car.  In order to be competitive, you have to have a well designed car that looks good exterior, interior, with comfort and performance, more so than with your run of the mill sedan.  In other words, people expect to get more without having to pay more.

Along with the fact that, most automaker's lineup is filled with FWD Sedans, you don't have any sort of platform sharing at all or a lot of parts.  I suppose you can share a lot of the interior parts but most everything have to start from scratch.. which means $$$