New Audi A4

Started by nickdrinkwater, August 28, 2007, 04:51:15 AM

Raza

Quote from: ArchBishop on August 29, 2007, 10:03:54 PM
Then I'd steal one. I'm brown remember? Besides, it would be a trick of the hand. One second we would be playing halo 2 with the guys having a beer, then BAM, when you least expect it. Sometimes you have to be slick about it.

Edit*
I had to lol when I read that. Classic stuff, honestly.

That's how I roll.  It doesn't usually come to fighting, not since junior high school anyway.  Comedy's the best way to handle most things.  Growing up brown in a really white area leads to a lot of fights as a kid. 

And I hate Halo.  XBox controllers really piss me off!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on August 29, 2007, 03:35:12 PM
That's all I'm hearing at this point. 
I'm just saying, if you're gonna go FWD make the most of it. Balanced weight, setting the engine back in the chassis, etc., all this stuff is terrible for a FWD car. But w/e

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ArchBishop on August 29, 2007, 09:55:48 PM
I just re-read that, and I think you have your own sick motives for wanting to see me confront Raza. Did he demoralize you, or make fun of your oh-so-precious  camry too much?

No. I have fun watching you two have a catfight though. Personally I have nothing against either of you. :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 29, 2007, 10:08:07 PM
I'm just saying, if you're gonna go FWD make the most of it. Balanced weight, setting the engine back in the chassis, etc., all this stuff is terrible for a FWD car. But w/e

I think it's safe to say, at least in North America, that the vast majority of A4s are sold with AWD.  So balance is good.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ArchBishop

Quote from: Raza on August 29, 2007, 10:07:09 PM
That's how I roll. It doesn't usually come to fighting, not since junior high school anyway. Comedy's the best way to handle most things. Growing up brown in a really white area leads to a lot of fights as a kid. (truth)

And I hate Halo. XBox controllers really piss me off!

I thought so too, but I got used to it. Even though I only play the 360 on rare occasion, the analog layout just seems 'right'. Of course the button layout seems completely ass backwards, and always has me looking for the "x" or "square" buttons. 360 may not be my cup of tea, but when you have enough people playing and having fun, it?s easier to over look its faults.

I can't over look this cars faults though.

TBR

Why not just make it RWD with available AWD though? It really seems quite ridiculous not too. The engine is placed for it and there is obviously already a spot for the driveshaft.

Raza

Quote from: ArchBishop on August 29, 2007, 10:13:22 PM
I thought so too, but I got used to it. Even though I only play the 360 on rare occasion, the analog layout just seems 'right'. Of course the button layout seems completely ass backwards, and always has me looking for the "x" or "square" buttons. 360 may not be my cup of tea, but when you have enough people playing and having fun, it?s easier to over look its faults.

I can't over look this cars faults though.

I'm anti-BMW because of the people who drive them.  I don't generally blame the cars.

What's so wrong with Audi?  Reliability isn't an issue, and Evo rates the RS4 as a 5 star car.  When the RS2 came out, it was showing its liftgate to 911s on tracks.  The B5 S4 is a tuner's dream. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ArchBishop

Quote from: Raza on August 29, 2007, 10:20:59 PM
I'm anti-BMW because of the people who drive them. I don't generally blame the cars.

What's so wrong with Audi? Reliability isn't an issue, and Evo rates the RS4 as a 5 star car. When the RS2 came out, it was showing its liftgate to 911s on tracks. The B5 S4 is a tuner's dream.

I'm not too sure, but they have always struck me as boring, and uninvolved. Though the GTI is becoming one of my favorite hot hatches. I even recommended it to someone over the Tc. By the time I finish law school, and I've lost most of my interest in cars, and modifying them, I might actually consider an Audi....

r0tor

Quote from: TBR on August 29, 2007, 10:14:25 PM
Why not just make it RWD with available AWD though? It really seems quite ridiculous not too. The engine is placed for it and there is obviously already a spot for the driveshaft.

because there is no reason for it... all performance minded audi buyers want Quattro and the non-performance minded buyers are better off with the fuel economy benefits of FWD  :huh:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 29, 2007, 10:08:07 PM

Audi's are not built to be FWD. They are built to be AWD.

The engine sit longitudinally too, which is another no-no for FWD. They do it because its the best way to build in the quattro system.

The FWD versions are just there to give people a lower cost option.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 29, 2007, 09:00:33 PM
This segment has a lot of great looking choices between this, the CTS, and C-class.

:ohyeah:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 30, 2007, 07:02:07 AM
Audi's are not built to be FWD. They are built to be AWD.

The engine sit longitudinally too, which is another no-no for FWD. They do it because its the best way to build in the quattro system.

The FWD versions are just there to give people a lower cost option.
OK, fair enough. Although if they went RWD, they could save $$ on rear subframes.

TBR

Quote from: r0tor on August 30, 2007, 05:54:36 AM
because there is no reason for it... all performance minded audi buyers want Quattro and the non-performance minded buyers are better off with the fuel economy benefits of FWD  :huh:

How much of a difference can there possibly be between the fuel economy of a FWD car and an otherwise identical (same weight, same transmission type, same engine) RWD car? Additionally, I would think that Audi's current set-up would require a sophisticated a complicated transaxle that would suck a little extra power (and fuel economy) versus the traditional set-up and cost more. The transaxle isn't mounted in front of the engine, is it?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: TBR on August 30, 2007, 11:05:50 PM
How much of a difference can there possibly be between the fuel economy of a FWD car and an otherwise identical (same weight, same transmission type, same engine) RWD car? Additionally, I would think that Audi's current set-up would require a sophisticated a complicated transaxle that would suck a little extra power (and fuel economy) versus the traditional set-up and cost more. The transaxle isn't mounted in front of the engine, is it?
No, I believe the transaxle comes into the cabin like a RWD car, or perhaps is offset to the side.

The only losses would come from the extra weight of a driveshaft (which I bet the FWD car is still hacked up to accomodate) and possibly the weight of the diff in the rear, but I don't think that would be extra weight on the car...

SJ_GTI

Of course every drivetrain is a bit different, but I've always used this rule of thumb:

FWD cars have about 10% parasitic loss
RWD cars have about 15% parasitic loss
AWD cars have about 20% parasitic loss

If that's generally true, then it's usually going to be more efficient to use a FWD setup.

deesea

Quote from: ArchBishop on August 29, 2007, 10:28:23 PM
I'm not too sure, but they have always struck me as boring, and uninvolved. Though the GTI is becoming one of my favorite hot hatches. I even recommended it to someone over the Tc. By the time I finish law school, and I've lost most of my interest in cars, and modifying them, I might actually consider an Audi....

amen to that  :ohyeah:
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

ro51092

Quote from: SaltyDog on August 28, 2007, 08:59:09 PM
The current one is a lot cleaner.

Muchos gracias.

I like it. It looks really good.

Raghavan

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 31, 2007, 06:32:53 AM
Of course every drivetrain is a bit different, but I've always used this rule of thumb:

FWD cars have about 10% parasitic loss
RWD cars have about 15% parasitic loss
AWD cars have about 20% parasitic loss

If that's generally true, then it's usually going to be more efficient to use a FWD setup.
Is it because FWD cars don't have the extra driveshaft?

thewizard16

That car is very attractive. Audi's styling continues to make me happy. (not to mention everything else too, but the styling is what I like best)
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

r0tor

if the buyer is worried about performance, what advantage is there from RWD? Heavier, worse gas mileage, worse all season performance, trickier handling to the general lousy driver...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Champ

Quote from: Raghavan on September 02, 2007, 06:46:33 PM
Is it because FWD cars don't have the extra driveshaft?
Kinda, it's the extra weight of everything.  Running a long driveshaft back is heavier and is another thing the engine needs to use power to spin.  By heavier, I mean physical weight of the driveline, not just weight of the car. 

From Wiki:
Quotethe direct connection between engine and transaxle reduce the mass and mechanical inertia of the drivetrain compared to a rear-wheel drive vehicle with a similar engine and transmission

TBR

Quote from: r0tor on September 04, 2007, 11:35:18 AM
if the buyer is worried about performance, what advantage is there from RWD? Heavier, worse gas mileage, worse all season performance, trickier handling to the general lousy driver...

I think you meant if the buyer isn't worried about performance.

There really aren't an advantages to that type of buyer. But to the buyer that is worried about performance it does make the car more appealing. A lot of people only get Quattro because the car is FWD, a RWD model would a credible alternative to AWD for enthuisists, better performance, lower weight, and a lower price.

Hachee

IMO, the best looking A4 was the original 1996 version.? It might look dated now, but everything about it was (and is) just right.? The successors, including this one, are lovely looking cars, but that's it - there's nothing that's really great looking about them.? And as Ifcar said, it just doesn't look new, even if you argue that it's just supposed to look evolutionary.? I also don't love the extra length, but CNMGS (constant new model growth syndrome) is not exclusive to this car by any means.? Perhaps they're following BMW's lead here, with their bigger 3 Series and filling the slot below with the 1 Series.? I'd expect the next A3 to be more than just a hatch model.?

I'm a big Audi fan - on my third now - but I'm not digging this new, expressive styling.? But - the funny thing is, other than the wagons, my favorite Audis now are the new TT, which has really grown on me, and the R8, which is just phenomenal.?

I'd probably still take one over a 3 or a C (but the new CTS beats them all in terms of style).

Galaxy

TheIntrepid

I would make sweet love to that interior.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on August 29, 2007, 10:07:09 PM
That's how I roll.  It doesn't usually come to fighting, not since junior high school anyway.  Comedy's the best way to handle most things.  Growing up brown in a really white area leads to a lot of fights as a kid. 

And I hate Halo.  XBox controllers really piss me off!

That's too bad.  Halo is a fine game.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

JYODER240

Quote from: Submariner on September 09, 2007, 02:33:43 PM
That's too bad.  Halo is a fine game.

Halo in multiplayer mode is one of the greatest games of all time. Campaign mode is so-so.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 09, 2007, 04:27:01 PM
Halo in multiplayer mode is one of the greatest games of all time. Campaign mode is so-so.

Play on FPS, you've played most of them.  Halo, as I recall, is one of those sci fi types, and I don't care for those.  I love the immersive experience of Call of Duty and the mock-realism of a game like CounterStrike or Rainbow Six.  Other than that, I don't play many FPSs.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=10843.msg564346#msg564346 date=1189387805
Play on FPS, you've played most of them.  Halo, as I recall, is one of those sci fi types, and I don't care for those.  I love the immersive experience of Call of Duty and the mock-realism of a game like CounterStrike or Rainbow Six.  Other than that, I don't play many FPSs.

Playing it as a multiplayer on Live or with a group of friends is a blast. Very reminicient of Goldeneye's multiplayer. It's a ton of fun playing games like Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, etc. As a single player game Call of Duty and the like is better.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Minpin

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 09, 2007, 08:05:21 PM
Playing it as a multiplayer on Live or with a group of friends is a blast. Very reminicient of Goldeneye's multiplayer. It's a ton of fun playing games like Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, etc. As a single player game Call of Duty and the like is better.

Halo is fun in it's own small right. It's only fun for me if I am playing with my friends not some random ass people. If I am playing with random ass people BF2 or BF2142 is WAY better. In the grand scheme of things Halo is only popular because it is trendy and cool to play it whereas games that are off the beaten path but are better make you seem like a nerd more. Halo is a fine game but it is not something that could play every day, there are better games out there, way better.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?