New Audi A4

Started by nickdrinkwater, August 28, 2007, 04:51:15 AM

nickdrinkwater

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/27/new-audi-a4-appears-on-web/

Few details of yet but I'd expect there to be a wide choices of engines as with the current A4.

cawimmer430

Looks like an A5 with 4 doors. I like this photoshop. :mrcool:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Looks boring to me. And when are they gonna cave and make the 2WD version RWD, you know, now that all the hardware's behind the front axle???

ifcar

This could have been the 2002 version. It doesn't look new.

r0tor

Quote from: ifcar on August 28, 2007, 05:36:31 AM

seeing that i still like the 2002 version, i'm attracted to this car
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

You guys suck, I think it looks good.

Its not a departure from the current style, but the details and proportions are all better. And yes...it looks like an A5 with 4 doors. Is anyone surprised?  :confused: I expect is going to have the same interior as the A5 as well. 

Is it a photochop? If it is, its a really good one.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ifcar on August 28, 2007, 05:36:31 AM

Do you mean the 2006 model?  :confused:

This was the 2002 A4:

This model won't share practically anything with that model.

ifcar

I don't mean that they're mechanically related, just that this new version doesn't look like a new model. That styling could have been introduced in 2002, and it wouldn't have been any more radical than what they did put out.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ifcar on August 28, 2007, 06:35:52 AM
I don't mean that they're mechanically related, just that this new version doesn't look like a new model. That styling could have been introduced in 2002, and it wouldn't have been any more radical than what they did put out.

It would have been radical for 2002. Its not radical today because since ~2005 Audi has been using that style on more and more cars, and its been copied (the large grill) by other makes.

It evolutionary, but I think saying its dated is kind of silly. The A5 is arguably the nicest looking coupe in its class, and the A4 looks like it will be a 4-door version.

ifcar

It's not dated so much as timelessly bland to me, at least judging by that photo.

nickdrinkwater

Looks smart and well proportioned to me.  Styling that is less radical when it's first seen tends to stand the test of time better IMO.  And I prefer Audi's approach of evolution (take the new TT for example) to BMWs attitude to styling.

omicron

I like it; even more, perhaps, than the A5.

SJ_GTI

Saw these on VWVortex:

Not a big fan of silver cars, but I really like it so far. Very evolutionary, which is great since I think the A4 is already one of the nicest looking in its class. It looks like they mainly spruced up the exterior details, revamped the interior completely (if that interior is, as it looks, the same as an A6, this will easily be best in class), and they fixed the major mechanical issues (put the engine behind the front axle).

The S5 was lighter than the G37 coupe in the Motive comparison. I expect the A4 3.2 Quattro will have a weight advantage over its competition. Personally, I hope the A4 gets an updated 2.0T like the GTI 30th edition got (230 HP). That would be my ideal engine for this car.

SJ_GTI

It also looks like the first picture was real afterall, not a photochop.

MexicoCityM3

The Ultimate Blandness Machine
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

red_shift

Is this mechanically very similar to the model it replaces, or is it an all new design?
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

red_shift

Is this mechanically very similar to the model it replaces, or is it an all new design?
Future is electric

sportyaccordy

Quote from: red_shift on August 28, 2007, 02:21:00 PM

They changed the order of the engine, differential and clutch so that everything could sit further back, and it would *look* like a RWD car. I'm pretty sure they will only be offered in FWD or AWD though. No, I don't get it either.

I like the glorified Golf more.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 28, 2007, 02:26:38 PM
They changed the order of the engine, differential and clutch so that everything could sit further back, and it would *look* like a RWD car. I'm pretty sure they will only be offered in FWD or AWD though. No, I don't get it either.

I like the glorified Golf more.

Its to improve weight balance. They've also changed the center differential so that it puts 60% of the power to the rear wheels until it detects some slip. The idea is to reduce understeer and improve handling. The new platform also moves form a 4-link suspension to a 5-link, so there is some expectation that body control and/or ride will be better balanced. The have also, at a minimum, upgraded the 3.1L V6. No changes have been announced on a 2.0T version, but I am hoping it will get upgraded significantly (similar to how the old 1.8T went from 150 HP to 170 HP).

No specs have been announced, but its worth noting that the Audi S5, with a V8 and AWD, was actually lighter than the G37. If they can reduce weight with the A4 that well I think it will be a significant improvement in dynamics (when combined with the above changes).

FWIW, a Jetta GLI isn't any lighter or better balanced than a FWD A4. Other than being cheaper, the MKV platform doesn't do anything better as far as I can tell.

red_shift

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 28, 2007, 02:38:45 PM
Its to improve weight balance. They've also changed the center differential so that it puts 60% of the power to the rear wheels until it detects some slip. The idea is to reduce understeer and improve handling. The new platform also moves form a 4-link suspension to a 5-link, so there is some expectation that body control and/or ride will be better balanced. The have also, at a minimum, upgraded the 3.1L V6. No changes have been announced on a 2.0T version, but I am hoping it will get upgraded significantly (similar to how the old 1.8T went from 150 HP to 170 HP).

No specs have been announced, but its worth noting that the Audi S5, with a V8 and AWD, was actually lighter than the G37. If they can reduce weight with the A4 that well I think it will be a significant improvement in dynamics (when combined with the above changes).

FWIW, a Jetta GLI isn't any lighter or better balanced than a FWD A4. Other than being cheaper, the MKV platform doesn't do anything better as far as I can tell.

OK thanks. I can get excited over that.
Future is electric

Raghavan

It looks awesome!!!
I love it. The proportions look awesome. If they offered it in RWD i'd totally want one over a 3 series.
And this is one of the rare times i'd take the sedan over the coupe.

TheIntrepid

I'd hit it. I hope it gets the 2.0T instead of hte 1.8T though.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 28, 2007, 04:20:59 PM
I'd hit it. I hope it gets the 2.0T instead of hte 1.8T though.

It already has the 2.0T.  Why would they bring back an old engine for the NA market?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10843.msg552134#msg552134 date=1188339907
It already has the 2.0T.? Why would they bring back an old engine for the NA market?

I think he is referring to the fact the red A4 above has a "1.8T" on the back.

But to your point, that one is for the European market.

My fear is that Audi does to the A4 what they did to the A5, which is make the 3.1L V6 standard. I want the 2.0T!

Raghavan

I hope they bring the 2.0 TDI here.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on August 28, 2007, 04:25:07 PM
It already has the 2.0T.  Why would they bring back an old engine for the NA market?

Red A4 has a 1.8T badge on it.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

93JC

I can't even tell the difference between this and the 'current' one.

Minpin

I gotta say this is not one of their better designs, at least judging from the pictures. Just too much of the same thing which wasn't bad say...6 months ago but it needs something new..something fresh.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

sandertheshark

Oh!! The eyes!! Those horrible, evil eyes!!

Seriously, wtf is it with new cars and weird bulges in the headlight casings?

SaltyDog

The current one is a lot cleaner.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.