Honda Civic Wagon?

Started by Yawn, August 28, 2007, 08:27:39 AM

Yawn

I was just on the freeway the other day and saw a civic from the front but then it was a wagon.. 4 door.. Had Michigan plates and driver side was left side... Is the Stream or Jazz coming here?

the Teuton

And it wasn't the civic wagon from 1988-91?  Maybe it was a test car or something to see how it handled American driving conditions.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

nickdrinkwater

Sounds like it could have been the Stream.  It's been out in Europe for a while now but AFAIK it's been a sales flop.  I think new version is out for the JDM.

TheIntrepid

I remember my family having a Civic wagon from the late 80s. It had a semi-automatic transmission IIRC.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

i can't imagine what it would look like. somone photoshop a civic wagon.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Yawn

So I went to Honda of Japan and it is the stream

http://www.honda.co.jp/STREAM/

SVT_Power

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 28, 2007, 08:54:31 AM
I remember my family having a Civic wagon from the late 80s. It had a semi-automatic transmission IIRC.

wtf is a semi automatic tranny?  :confused:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Clutchless manual perhaps?  Like Saab's system?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on August 28, 2007, 11:22:51 AM

Saab now? I thoguht it was just VW and a bunch of other insanely expensive cars that I prefer not to waste my time remembering the names of.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Danish

Quote from: Yawn on August 28, 2007, 10:11:34 AM
So I went to Honda of Japan and it is the stream

http://www.honda.co.jp/STREAM/

I'm usually big on wagons but that I don't like. Looks bloated and looks like a van
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Raza  on August 28, 2007, 11:22:51 AM

No, the Hondamatic was just an automatic you had to shift yourself (same mechanicals as an automatic only it can't do shit for shifting without you telling it when)

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SVT666

Yawn

It will then have to be the Euro Spec model since the steering was on the left side..

VTEC_Inside

FWIW, the Stream is SUPPOSED to be comming here.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Raza

Quote from: Secret Chimp on August 28, 2007, 12:06:35 PM
No, the Hondamatic was just an automatic you had to shift yourself (same mechanicals as an automatic only it can't do shit for shifting without you telling it when)

That's kind of pointless, isn't it?  A manumatic that doesn't shift on its own? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

Saab Sensonic was the term, came out in Europe in the early 90's, only one here in America that I drove last weekend at the Saab Owners Convention.? It's very weird.

It's a true manual, but no clutch.? Just the two pedals.? Take your foot off the gas between shifts.

Off Wiki:
QuoteThe 'Sensonic' clutch variant, (available on the Turbo models only) provided a manual gear lever as in a standard manual-transmission car, but omitted the clutch pedal in favor of electronics which could control the clutch faster than the average driver.

When a driver started to move the gear shift knob/gear selector lever, a computer-controlled actuator operated the clutch. With the car in gear but stationary, the clutch was released only when gas was applied. If neither brake nor gas pedal was depressed, a warning tone sounded and a message flashed on the on-board display, and if no action was taken after 7 seconds, the engine was shut off.

It's really odd sitting in a running car, shifting through the gears without pushing a clutch down.

Submariner

Quote from: Champ on August 29, 2007, 08:26:16 AM
Saab Sensonic was the term, came out in Europe in the early 90's, only one here in America that I drove last weekend at the Saab Owners Convention.  It's very weird.

It's a true manual, but no clutch.  Just the two pedals.  Take your foot off the gas between shifts.

Off Wiki:
It's really odd sitting in a running car, shifting through the gears without pushing a clutch down.

I can't see it being hugely different from shifting a manumatic.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

heelntoe

Quote from: Champ on August 29, 2007, 08:26:16 AM
Saab Sensonic was the term, came out in Europe in the early 90's, only one here in America that I drove last weekend at the Saab Owners Convention.  It's very weird.

It's a true manual, but no clutch.  Just the two pedals.  Take your foot off the gas between shifts.

Off Wiki:
will it stall if you go in a gear too high at low rpms?
@heelntoe

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Yawn on August 28, 2007, 08:27:39 AM
I was just on the freeway the other day and saw a civic from the front but then it was a wagon.. 4 door.. Had Michigan plates and driver side was left side... Is the Stream or Jazz coming here?

For what it's worth, the Jazz is already here, sold as the Fit. I think the Stream's pretty cool, though.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Champ

Quote from: heelntoe on August 29, 2007, 10:10:44 AM
will it stall if you go in a gear too high at low rpms?
No, it was quite smart for what it was.

Quote from: Submariner on August 29, 2007, 10:07:15 AM
I can't see it being hugely different from shifting a manumatic.
Not 100% sure what manumatic is, but there is actually a 5-speed shifter - which might be the difference.  Instead of just hitting a paddle to go up, up, up, down, down, down.

Raza

Quote from: Champ on August 29, 2007, 11:57:05 AM
No, it was quite smart for what it was.
Not 100% sure what manumatic is, but there is actually a 5-speed shifter - which might be the difference.  Instead of just hitting a paddle to go up, up, up, down, down, down.

Manumatic is a manually shifted torque converter automatic, like my Passat's Tiptronic transmission.  Manumatic is  a general term, whereas Tiptronic is a copyrighted term.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

USA_Idol

I'm not sure what "late 1980's" Civic Wagon would have a "semi-automatic" transmission.? From what I could find, using the 1988 Civic Wagon as an example:

Civic FWD Wagon -- 5-speed manual or traditional 4-speed automatic
Civic Real Time 4WD Wagon -- 6-speed manual only