More GTR information?

Started by SJ_GTI, August 28, 2007, 11:55:03 AM

SJ_GTI

http://www.7tune.com/?p=100

So it sounds like 450-500 HP, and will weigh about 3700 lbs.

FlatBlackCaddy

sigh, thats too heavy. They should know better than to do that.

the Teuton

The old one was 3400-3500, right?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SJ_GTI

PS. That number is just a guess on my part, I can't read Japanese.

I assumed that the line with "kg" in paranthesis is the weight. 1680 kgs = 3704 lbs.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 28, 2007, 12:23:50 PM
PS. That number is just a guess on my part, I can't read Japanese.

I assumed that the line with "kg" in paranthesis is the weight. 1680 kgs = 3704 lbs.

Well that would be the logical assumption, which is i guess within the (large) target range.

Still they should have shaved a few more lbs off of it.

NomisR

I didn't read the article closely but looks like a 7 speed AT on the test vehicle with a 3.7L V6 engine.

Your weight is correct,  price is about.. 650(?)K I can't read the second # - 800K yen.. which roughly translates to USD55000 - 75000.. Covette range..

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

nickdrinkwater

Looks like a big car.

I wish they had stuck with this

maybe tone down the bodykit a little...

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm not ready to dismiss this car just because of the porky curb weight. People love the mustang and thats a bit of a porker(the GT500 is almost 250 pounds heavier than this).

I just wish the kept it at or below 3500 lbs.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: NACar on August 28, 2007, 01:35:16 PM
370Z FTW

This will be the more interesting(and attainable) car.

A nice higher tuned version of the G37 motor(~350HP and 290-300lbft) would be fantastic. That motor coupled to a smaller lighter chassis would be perfect, a true porsche competitor.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 28, 2007, 01:29:05 PM
Looks like a big car.

I wish they had stuck with this

maybe tone down the bodykit a little...

C'mon man can we get a NSFW warning or something?

NomisR

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 28, 2007, 01:43:10 PM
I'm not ready to dismiss this car just because of the porky curb weight. People love the mustang and thats a bit of a porker(the GT500 is almost 250 pounds heavier than this).

I just wish the kept it at or below 3500 lbs.

The problem is we're looking at about 55k - 75k in Japan, so after getting it ovr here, it'll most likely be 60k+.  And then added on dealer markups for the first year, you're looking at a 70k car... is it worth it? 

If this does succeed though, we have a good chance of seeing another NSX..

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: NomisR on August 28, 2007, 01:58:03 PM
The problem is we're looking at about 55k - 75k in Japan, so after getting it ovr here, it'll most likely be 60k+.? And then added on dealer markups for the first year, you're looking at a 70k car... is it worth it??

If this does succeed though, we have a good chance of seeing another NSX..

Thats not really a problem, most expected this thing to be expensive. Since this is a global car i don't think the US price will be to far off from that 55-75 japan market figure. It will be worth the asking price since they will have no problem selling them. It will surely succeed.

The NSX "failed" because it was never updated, and because it came to the party with a "low output" V6 relative to its V8 couterparts. Though it was an excellent performer, it was handicapped from the beginning in spec sheet comparos.

Atleast with such a high base price this leaves future room for Z variants. A TT Z for 38-42 K looks all the more possible with the GTR in a higher market with no possibility of overlap.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 28, 2007, 03:10:14 PM
Atleast with such a high base price this leaves future room for Z variants. A TT Z for 38-42 K looks all the more possible with the GTR in a higher market with no possibility of overlap.

They would never do that, that would cannibalize GT-R sales. A better idea would be to make a decontented GT-R, maybe w/o AWD and a single turbo for ~high 40s-low 50s. A TT Z would be lighter, faster and probably a better drive than the GT-R... especially considering it will be the next generation, which is supposedly gonna be smaller than what we have now.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 28, 2007, 03:10:14 PM

They would never do that, that would cannibalize GT-R sales. A better idea would be to make a decontented GT-R, maybe w/o AWD and a single turbo for ~high 40s-low 50s. A TT Z would be lighter, faster and probably a better drive than the GT-R... especially considering it will be the next generation, which is supposedly gonna be smaller than what we have now.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 28, 2007, 04:26:48 PM

Valid point, though in japan during the late 90's the Silvia, Fairlady and GTR all coexisted together. The silvia in S15 trim was faster than a Z, but i'm sure the Z still got sales(different market, but still a real world example). Granted the silvia did eventually kill the Z, but i think it also had to do with the age of the fairlady since it was still riding on an unchanged platform and drivetrain from 1990(possibly 1989 in Japan). So its no surprise a fresh S chassis with one of the most powerful versions of the SR20 was chosen over a heavier, more expensive Z.

I think nissan could do it, i'm not talking nothing crazy on the TTZ front(380-400HP MAX) with some performance bits sprinkled here and there. Hell i'd even be happy if they stay the N/A route and get 370 to 380 out of a high strung 3.7 and a lighter chassis. I do think the Z should offer some choice in motors, even if it is like the old track model just with a larger Hp difference.

Also keep in mind that nissan still hasn't officially released the GTR info, it could be lighter or have more power or a few trims. Who knows, i wish they would hurry up and release this info early.

TBR

Quote from: NomisR on August 28, 2007, 01:58:03 PM
The problem is we're looking at about 55k - 75k in Japan, so after getting it ovr here, it'll most likely be 60k+.  And then added on dealer markups for the first year, you're looking at a 70k car... is it worth it? 

Certainly more so than the GT500 imho.

This sort of relates back to that discussion, actual performance aside many people would love to buy the GT-R just for its rep and its appearance, the problem is that the baby boomers who love the GT500 are in much better shape to spend $70k on a car than the Gran Tourismo fans are.

TBR

I find the text of the article rather interesting.

"An unnamed test driver has spoken exclusively to Car Top magazine about an event held by Nissan to allow 30 people to test drive the 2008 GT-R at its Tochigi proving grounds earlier this month. No media representatives were invited to the event so the lucky group of people only consisted of Nissan advertising and marketing personnel as well as some racing and test drivers to help out with the program. Over the 3 day event, the aforementioned unnamed test driver was able to put the GT-R through handling and high speed tests designed to show its superiority against two other cars for comparison, a Z33 Fairlady Z and a 997 Porsche 911 Turbo. All those assembled were told that the interior of the GT-R test car was fake and that the black front mask would not be coming off for the tests. The rear of the car however was unmasked and there for all to see. The unnamed test driver went on to describe the rear of the GT-R to Car Top and a CG image of that description can be seen below. There would also be 7 different GT-R models to be released (in different markets) and there would be four colors: the silver as seen on the Nurburgring test car, the gun metal gray as seen on the car at the Goodwood Festival, white and black"

"The test course consisted mainly of 160km/h slaloms, laps of the high speed oval and emergency braking tests. The guests were first asked to put the Z33 Fairlady Z and Porsche 911 Turbo through the various tests to get acquainted with those cars and only after that would the GT-R be available for comparison. The unnamed test driver was initially surprised by the sound of the GT-R, right from the first push of the starter button he felt it sounded every bit like a supercar. The exhaust note was very strong but muffled well through the titanium system and had an unexpected note very different to the VQ35HR of the Fairlady Z."

"The guests were only treated to the 7 speed semi-automatic version of the GT-R, the 6 speed manual car (although there was one present) was not available for testing as it was still in development. The ?two pedal? 7 speed semi-automatic operated so smoothly that you couldn?t tell gears were being changed if it weren?t for the engine sound. In the unnamed test driver?s opinion the semi-auto felt even better than Volkswagen?s DSG transmission. Up and down shifting was so smooth and very fast that it emphasized the incredible urge of the engine from low revs right up to the rev limit. The unnamed driver went on to say that the 2008 GT-R felt every bit as powerful as a tuned BNR34 GT-R with a power output of around 450 - 500ps, that output being the least one could expect from the 2008 car. The new GT-R?s chassis and suspension set up is incredibly stable, it actually hides the sheer speed of the car and gives a lot of confidence. Even with a higher output of 600ps and beyond, the unnamed driver was sure the GT-R?s handling ?as is? could easily cope. Multiple runs were made above 200km/h and the GT-R felt as stable as what it did at 100km/h. This led some of the guests to believe that the speed limiter was either deactivated or not installed at all. The Brembo brakes were an often talked about feature of the GT-R, the guests agreeing its braking power has to be experienced first hand in order to appreciate it fully. The ABS was working overtime at the Tochigi test event and the drivers were never afraid of not being able to stop even after repeated heavy braking tests."

"There was a slalom course where the drivers had to weave through the cones at 160km/h and the 2008 GT-R cleared this test easily without any problems. The Porsche 911 Turbo on the other hand felt like it needed some adjustments made to it?s suspension in order to maintain the speed of the GT-R. As much as the drivers tried, the handling limits of the GT-R could not be reached under the circumstances. Precise turn in and directional stability are two strong points of the 2008 GT-R?s handling and the guests at the Tochigi proving grounds agreed that with these two points at least, the Porsche 911 Turbo has met its match."

"One area where Car Top magazine goes against what Best Car said previously about the GT-R?s power plant is that it will be powered by a VQ based V6. With 3.8L and twin turbochargers, the 2008 GT-R will be on par emissions wise with the Nismo Fairlady Z 380RS. Thats not to say that they?re sharing the same engine, the GT-R will get unique pistons, conrods and crankshaft. These parts will be able to withstand at least 600ps and will probably lead to a different engine code? possibly not ?VQ?? Nissan?s VVEL technology will also be included.

The Transmission

Some were doubtful about the existence of a 6 speed manual GT-R, but this has been laid to rest by the appearance of a ?three pedal? model at the Tochigi test event. It seems that the 6 speed manual version is having problems clearing emissions testing so it?s likely that it will not make an appearance at this years Tokyo Motor Show in October. Apparently initial sales will only consist of two pedal 7 speed semi-automatic models however there will be 6 speed manual cars made available for racing events such as Super Taikyu. One other point of interest is the ECU used in the new GT-R. There will be 3 different engine control units available for Japan, and a further 16 produced for overseas markets. Each one will have its own unique map for various fuels and output levels. It?s possible this may mean some GT-R models destined for overseas markets will be slightly detuned depending on fuel quality and other factors."

It sounds like there are still alot of disagreements between the Japanese car magazines.  And it seems like people heard about what happened here rather than seen it with their own eyes.  I think we'll have to wait till october to find out all the facts, as Nissan seems so tight lipped about this.  Supposedly the GTR will be at the LA autoshow, that should be a treat to west coast fans.  I bet alot of people will be going just for the GTR.

Yawn

Quote from: the Teuton on August 28, 2007, 12:21:18 PM
The old one was 3400-3500, right?

yeah but it was only pumping 280 hp.. Most likely more but per Japanese law (back then Japan can only post up to 280)  thats all Nissan could have posted.  450-500 hp will make up for that 300 extra pounds i think

SJ_GTI

Uh yeah I did read all that, but I would suggest taking it with a grain of salt. This was a manufacturer sponsored test drive and most of the people that went for Nissan marketing people.

It was interesting for the objective information, but I generally ignore crazy subjective stuff like that.

3700 pounds isn't so bad.  This is probably the weight for the manumatic model.  For comparisions sake a Porsche 911 Turbo S-tronic weighs 3,572 lbs. (1,620 kg).  Supposedly there are higher performance light weight models that drop weight by 100kg.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 565 on August 29, 2007, 08:00:15 AM
3700 pounds isn't so bad.? This is probably the weight for the manumatic model.? For comparisions sake a Porsche 911 Turbo S-tronic weighs 3,572 lbs. (1,620 kg).? Supposedly there are higher performance light weight models that drop weight by 100kg.

I was just about to mention that, really this thing will be on par with a 911 turbo(spec wise).

Both will have similar power(480HP) and be within 100-150lbs in curb weight. Both are using AWD so acceleration times should be similar. Also judging by mercedes improvements with the 7 speed gearbox the weight advantage the 911 has might not count for much since the GTR has an extra cog in its automated manual.

I expect a pretty even match and in light of that the expected GTR price is nothing to complain about.

FlatBlackCaddy

Also porsche USA lists the tiptronic turbo at 3.4 to sixty and a top speed of 192, the gtr should be right in there.

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 29, 2007, 07:55:28 AM
Uh yeah I did read all that, but I would suggest taking it with a grain of salt. This was a manufacturer sponsored test drive and most of the people that went for Nissan marketing people.

It was interesting for the objective information, but I generally ignore crazy subjective stuff like that.

What I don't understand is where they got all the definitive objective numbers about size, weight, etc.  Most other sources have given ranges and estimates rather than concrete numbers. I understand that they claim some unnamed test driver came to them and gave the details of his drive, but it doesn't seem like Nissan handed this driver a specs sheet.  He was conjecturing on the power by comparing it to a tuned 500hp BNR34, so he probably had no real clue how much power it made.  And the only other magazine source with definitive numbers of 480ps and torque also gave very different information about the engine.  In fact the part where the unnamed test driver says the GTR sounds nothing like the VQHR seems to support more that theory. 

LonghornTX

3700 lbs?  :confused:

Haha, I remember when people thought this was going to be like 3400lbs.....

Oh well, it will still be a badass ride  :thumbsup:, if a bit ugly (IMO).
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Raza

It's quite possible that this will suffer the same fate as the 350Z.  Massively capable, but boring to drive under 10/10ths.  Maybe not, though. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

The Z Tune and Nur Spec Skylines were very fast beasts, both with under 500 hp.  I hope this one can follow suit.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MX793

Are those official number from Nissan or just some car mag's speculation?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5