Wiggle in steering wheel

Started by 280Z Turbo, June 27, 2005, 06:28:38 PM

280Z Turbo

I have a wiggle in my steering wheel and it seems to be getting worse. I have new polyurethane rack bushings, new ball joints, and a new right side tie rod. The wiggling gets much worse under hard braking. It also seems to pull to the left somewhat. What's wrong with it?

footoflead

thats a toughy...i would say its because of the age of the car...but since you metioned the stuff about replacing the bushings and what-not....you got me stumped...

heres a mabye..i'm not that familar with datsuns...i admire them but have yet to drive one...

there might be a kinda u-joint thing connecting the steering wheel shaft to the steering box...but i'm not sure thats how it is in my dads car and my moms truck but there newer vehicals....

to me this might explain the wiggle...slack in the joint would cause a wiggle...

hope that helps a little..
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

Most likely your steering rack.

SargeMonkey

Yup, my 78 is horrible, it needs a new colum, you need to correct it constantly too.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

R33 GT-R

That's not good, better get on that quick slickpecker.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

BartsSVO

See if it is the rag joint or steering column isolator first. Much cheaper and usually is somewhat easier than swapping out the power steering rack in most vehicles. A pull to one side under breaking could also indicate a bad ball joint.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

280Z Turbo

I think it's the left tie rod end. You can shake it and it sounds like the left front wheel is loose, but it's not.

I don't know what a column isolator is and it doesn't have power steering.

Catman

QuoteI think it's the left tie rod end. You can shake it and it sounds like the left front wheel is loose, but it's not.

I don't know what a column isolator is and it doesn't have power steering.
Watch the tie rod end as you turn the wheel back and forth (get some help for this).  If there is any play in it than it's probably the culprit.  

Also, if you have a shimmy (wheel wiggles slightly back and forth at speed) it couls also be tires out of balance.  My Sequoia is doing this right now and I know that's what it is.  Next oil change I'll have them balanced.

280Z Turbo

I'm pretty sure it's the tie-rod.

I was going down the road and didn't realize how bad it was until I looked down at my arm and saw it shaking like crazy!

GMPenguin

The steering box probably needs rebuilt or just replaced.

280Z Turbo

There is no steering box, it's not recirculating ball. ;)

I just need to decide whether or not I should get a tie rod assembly ($122) or tie rod end ($32).

280Z Turbo

I just changed the left side tie rod end, but it still shimmys. Not as bad, but this might be because of the wheel swap.

I'm going to have it aligned and have the wheels rebalanced, but if that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what it is.