Chrysler repositions PT Cruiser as a small car

Started by BMWDave, June 28, 2005, 06:01:43 AM

BMWDave

Chrysler repositions PT Cruiser as a small car as part of effort to jump-start sales
MARY CONNELLY | Automotive News
Posted Date: 6/27/05
CHELSEA, Mich. -- The Chrysler group is trying to jump-start PT Cruiser sales by touting it -- at long last -- as a small car.

A small-car pitch is surprising because the company has called it anything but.

The vehicle was derived from the Dodge Neon sedan. But the company classified it as a light truck for federal fuel economy purposes when it was introduced in 2000.

The classification drew the ire of some environmentalists. They said the vehicle was clearly a car and should be subject to higher federal fuel economy standards. The law says that if a vehicle's rear seats can be folded flat, it can be a truck.

For marketing purposes, Chrysler cast it as a segment buster, neither car nor truck.

Now Chrysler is coming full circle. It will market the PT Cruiser as a small car, says Jeff Bell, Chrysler group vice president of the Jeep and Chrysler brands.

"We convinced ourselves based on the initial sales euphoria that this was a completely unique thing, that it defied a definition and had its own unique segment," Bell says.

"That was not a very robust strategy for its long-term success," he says. "So we have repositioned it and placed it squarely in the small-car segment where there is a lot of volume opportunity."

The 2006 model reaches dealerships in August. A new grille, interior and front and rear fascias update the 5-year-old model.

Through May, PT Cruiser sales are holding steady. In the first five months, 53,821 units were sold, 189 more than in the year-ago period.

Chrysler began tinkering with the PT Cruiser strategy last fall. For the 2005 models, content was removed and the base sticker price was lowered.

That strategy "really started gaining traction this calendar year," Bell says. "It is now getting consideration with small-car shoppers."

Shoppers considering the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla also are looking at the PT Cruiser, he says.

"We have had our highest cross-shopping against those vehicles this calendar year," Bell says.

The average age of the PT Cruiser buyer is dropping, he says. "It was running about 57, and now it is almost 10 years younger."

The PT Cruiser touched off a sales furor when it was introduced in March 2000. Sales peaked at 144,717 units units in 2001. Its worst year was 2003, when 107,759 units were sold.

Bell says Chrysler now pitches the PT Cruiser as a small-car with style, functionality and a versatile interior.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Speed_Racer

Chrysler has no clue what the PT Cruiser is. SUV, minivan, minicrossover whatever, and now a small sedan.

BMWDave

QuoteChrysler has no clue what the PT Cruiser is. SUV, minivan, minicrossover whatever, and now a small sedan.
It has sold well though over its lifespan, so it is a success, even if Chrysler changed the positioning many times.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteChrysler has no clue what the PT Cruiser is. SUV, minivan, minicrossover whatever, and now a small sedan.
Does it matter? I am guessing it outsells the Neon on which it is based, it is a complete success, no matter what kind of vehicle it is.

Raza

It is, was, and probably always will be a microvan.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

R33 GT-R

I think it should go into the confused category.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Secret Chimp

I think it should go into the quickest fall from charm category.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

QuoteI think it should go into the quickest fall from charm category.
:D  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

R33 GT-R

It was never charming to me.  It was more along the lines of Feeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrt!

Secret Chimp

QuoteIt was never charming to me.  It was more along the lines of Feeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrt!
An appropriate noise for a post whore

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Catman

One thing I appreciated about the PT Cruiser is it really doesn't look old or new.  I was looking at a Platinum Edition the other day, really sharp.  Why they're spending so much time defining it seems to be a waste of time to me.  If you want a small car with some SUV utility get one.

BMWDave

QuoteOne thing I appreciated about the PT Cruiser is it really doesn't look old or new.  I was looking at a Platinum Edition the other day, really sharp.  Why they're spending so much time defining it seems to be a waste of time to me.  If you want a small car with some SUV utility get one.
The design has aged very well.

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

As long as their selling keep making them.  Last I looked they were one of the most reliable vehicles around.

R33 GT-R

QuoteIt was never charming to me.  It was more along the lines of Feeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrt!
An appropriate noise for a post whore
A perfect noise for you secret blimp.

TBR

QuoteI think it should go into the quickest fall from charm category.
It is still selling over 100,000 copies a year, it is aging much better than the New Beetle did.  

ifcar

The low prices and high versatility made it a popular fleet vehicle, so those sales don't exactly mean that it's enjoying great success. It's had price cuts, rebates, and fleet sales to keep volume up, though it's still on par with or outdoing the Neon.