Went to the local Italian Concours d'Elegance - pix!! (56k - don't even try)

Started by Laconian, September 02, 2007, 11:13:33 PM

Laconian

A few friends (including Psilos) attended the Des Moines Italian Concours D'Elegance, a local event put on by several local Italian car clubs showcasing some sweet pieces of Italian steel and/or carbon fiber. In addition to the usual suspects, there were a few surprises from England (V12 Vanquish and DB9) and the USA (Shelby Cobra!!!)

Here are some of the highlights:

(LM002 interior shot)

(The commodious trunk of a Dino!)

LP640 :rockon:

DeTomaso Pantera. Beautiful!

Here are the cars we saw on the streets leading down to the marina:

It's not Italian, but it still kicks ass :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Being that it has a Shelby sticker on it, I think it's a real Shelby CSX.  Wow.  Nice show, but I wouldn't call it a concours.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raghavan

Laconian

It was called a "concours" by the event organizers :) Lay off, we don't get much in the way of cars 'round these parts!!

Onslaught

God I still love a Countach. If I came into money I'd have to have one.
So did you wax up the Miata and park it near them and rev the motor?  ;)

the Teuton

I probably would have messied myself if I had seen so many fine Italian automobiles like that in one spot, so don't think I'm knocking the show.  I'm just knocking the name.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on September 02, 2007, 11:15:39 PM
Being that it has a Shelby sticker on it, I think it's a real Shelby CSX.  Wow.  Nice show, but I wouldn't call it a concours.

That's the same conclusion we came to. It's got Cobra badges, and replicas can't use Cobra badges.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Minpin

Quote from: Psilos on September 03, 2007, 12:32:11 AM
That's the same conclusion we came to. It's got Cobra badges, and replicas can't use Cobra badges.

Well the manufacturer's of the replica's can't. But joe schmo from wherever can buy them off the internet and install them himself.  :huh: Either way that sticker he has on there convinces me.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

the Teuton

It's not a 1966 Cobra.  I can tell you that, but Carroll Shelby built a limited number of them in the 1990s and their prices are insane.  This guy wouldn't rice a Cobra.

Rupert

Here are some more. By the way, that 911 isn't so much riced out as it is ready for the track. ;)

Interior of the Cobra

Sorry, I only got the butt end of the Jenson Interceptor III

In the F40

There were some motorcycles, too

Some neat Alphas

As far I we can tell, this baby is original

Did you know Maserati made a bicycle? I didn't.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on September 03, 2007, 12:48:31 AM
It's not a 1966 Cobra.  I can tell you that, but Carroll Shelby built a limited number of them in the 1990s and their prices are insane.  This guy wouldn't rice a Cobra.

How can you tell?

the Teuton

Quote from: Psilos on September 03, 2007, 01:03:20 AM
How can you tell?

No one would not restore a car like that to OEM spec.  It has steel braided radiator lines, whereas they were originally rubber.  Also, the paint looks hella better than anything from the 1960s.

Raghavan

Quote from: the Teuton on September 03, 2007, 01:08:25 AM
No one would not restore a car like that to OEM spec.  It has steel braided radiator lines, whereas they were originally rubber.  Also, the paint looks hella better than anything from the 1960s.
You never know...

Rupert

Yeah, seriously. Steel braided lines aren't exactly damning. The fact that is was parked on the side of the road in the middle of the day is the only indication that it might not be real.

the Teuton

Do you want me to show you the 996 Turbo, the three 356s, the two Ferraris, the Maserati that weren't in the Glenmoor show, but were just parked out there?  It's more than possible.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on September 03, 2007, 01:16:53 AM
Do you want me to show you the 996 Turbo, the three 356s, the two Ferraris, the Maserati that weren't in the Glenmoor show, but were just parked out there?  It's more than possible.

I'm sure Glenmoor is rather less sketchy than this neighborhood. ;) At any rate, I don't doubt that it's a real Shelby. I just think it's odd that such an expensive car, more so than any of the cars you mentioned, was parked on the side of the street.

the Teuton

Quote from: Psilos on September 03, 2007, 01:33:41 PM
I'm sure Glenmoor is rather less sketchy than this neighborhood. ;) At any rate, I don't doubt that it's a real Shelby. I just think it's odd that such an expensive car, more so than any of the cars you mentioned, was parked on the side of the street.

I can imagine.  Glenmoor is a gated community with a Jack Nicklaus gold course behind it.  Weirder things do happen.  :huh:

Rupert

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Rupert

I just noticed that there's an AC badge on the steering wheel of the Cobra...

sandertheshark

Quote from: Psilos on September 03, 2007, 01:01:49 AM

There were some motorcycles, too
:nono:
Classic Ducatis are not "some motorcycles" any more than that '67 Ferrari 275 GTB4 is "some car."

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sandertheshark

Quote from: NACar on September 03, 2007, 06:12:07 PM
whts tha tyelllow one a triumphf?
That's a Laverda.  A 1998 Ghost Strike if my eye serves me.  The motorcycle equivalent to a Lamborghini Diablo SV.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 03, 2007, 06:14:50 PM
That's a Laverda.  A 1998 Ghost Strike if my eye serves me.  The motorcycle equivalent to a Lamborghini Diablo SV.

never heard of them  in my life. i guess im not mising much

Rupert

No, it's a motorcycle like a Lamborghini is a car. An exotic motorcycle, sure.

Eye of the Tiger

sandertheshark

Quote from: NACar on September 03, 2007, 06:17:27 PM
never heard of them  in my life. i guess im not mising much
They were bought out by Aprilla a few years ago.

omicron

I looked through all these photos of an Italian car show, and found myself drooling all over a Pantera and an Interceptor!

Sorry, Ferrari.