This weekend our traffic enforcement

Started by rohan, September 03, 2007, 10:52:30 AM

Minpin

I can;t believe this is still going on. What's this thread even about now? I got bored around...page 1.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on September 29, 2007, 09:35:07 PM
If you punish them more for not having money, that's wrong.

I find it interesting that you think it's okay to punish someone for being successful, but it's wrong to treat people the same. 

I would insist that success does not (or should not) depend on one's pocketbook, but to each his own opinion on that matter, so I won't.

So long as both understand that this is a pretty philosophical discussion and not a practical one, it's hard to argue with equality for all based on class-- oh, sorry, I meant money. But that's it, isn't it? Class is the issue here, as it is with so many things. Why should one class be able to basically get away with paying a small toll to speed all over town, while another has to not eat decent food for a month because they were late for their doctor's appointment because their boss kept them ten minutes later than usual?

Understand also that my mind is not made up on this particular issue because it's fairly complicated in practical and other ways. Still, I don't agree with your rich-man's view.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on September 29, 2007, 12:43:49 PM
It only sounds appealing because you're on the opposite end of the spectrum.  It sounds appealing the same way the estate tax sounds appealing. 

Both things fuck you for working harder and smarter than other people.

I think you should be able to buy speeding ticket exemptions.  $500 a year or so gets you out of tickets. 
Estate takes don't hurt the person who actually worked for the money...

Quote from: dazzleman on September 29, 2007, 08:24:34 PM
Most expenses in life are 'regressive.'  The electric company doesn't care about your income when they determine your electric rates.  Ditto for the phone company, food prices, etc.

Financially, things are not equal and never will be.  The cost of trying to make them equal has been proven to be widespread poverty.

While on the subject of punishment and its dispirite effects on different people, think of a more serious case -- a murder conviction.  An older person will effectively serve a lesser sentence for that, since he has fewer years to live.  At the same time, when an older person goes to prison, that prison time will take up a larger percentage of his remaining life than it does for a younger person.  There are many different ways to look at this issue, and it's clear that there will be inequalities whatever the system is.

As far as speeding goes, for many people, a more effective punishment than taking a person's money is taking a person's time.  After 3 tickets in my state, you have to attend an all-day re-training class.  To me, that is more onerous than the fine they'd come up with. 

Of course that would be regressive as well, richer people tend to be paid by salary and to get xx number of vacation days so they would essentially still be getting paid for the class while poorer, paid by the hour people would have to ask off work and forfeit income.

The reality is that life can not be fair. Cliched, yes, but it is the truth.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on September 30, 2007, 12:40:54 PM
Estate takes don't hurt the person who actually worked for the money...

They are your possessions, and you already paid taxes on them.  Why shouldn't you be allowed to give it to whoever you want to without the government grabbing another slice of it? 

But you're right, that's a different discussion.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on September 30, 2007, 01:36:06 AM
I would insist that success does not (or should not) depend on one's pocketbook, but to each his own opinion on that matter, so I won't.

So long as both understand that this is a pretty philosophical discussion and not a practical one, it's hard to argue with equality for all based on class-- oh, sorry, I meant money. But that's it, isn't it? Class is the issue here, as it is with so many things. Why should one class be able to basically get away with paying a small toll to speed all over town, while another has to not eat decent food for a month because they were late for their doctor's appointment because their boss kept them ten minutes later than usual?

Understand also that my mind is not made up on this particular issue because it's fairly complicated in practical and other ways. Still, I don't agree with your rich-man's view.

If rich people have more expensive cars, they'll have higher insurance costs than poor people, so the ticket would cost them more in insurance increases.  Does that make it more fair?

Fair in life will not happen.  But that's not what I'm talking about.  Fair in law is a must.

And fine, measure success however you want to.  But when I say "success", I imply "financial success".

God damn hippies.  :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

I've gone too long without reading this thread.  I can add nothing because I am too lazy to go back and read.

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on September 30, 2007, 04:48:27 PM
I've gone too long without reading this thread.  I can add nothing because I am too lazy to go back and read.

The argument has gotten into whether traffic fines should be graduated according to income, or just a flat amount.

What's your opinion on that Greg?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TBR

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=10956.msg587392#msg587392 date=1191187083
They are your possessions, and you already paid taxes on them.  Why shouldn't you be allowed to give it to whoever you want to without the government grabbing another slice of it? 

But you're right, that's a different discussion.

I don't disagree with you in theory, but in practice I just don't care (I am not a big fan of generational wealth).

Besides, the government taxes many things multiple times. My car has been, by my math, taxed 15 different times (original sales tax, annual registration, and sales tax again when I bought it).

The Pirate

Quote from: TBR on September 30, 2007, 04:53:08 PM
I don't disagree with you in theory, but in practice I just don't care (I am not a big fan of generational wealth).

Besides, the government taxes many things multiple times. My car has been, by my math, taxed 15 different times (original sales tax, annual registration, and sales tax again when I bought it).

Isn't the used car tax great?  I'm the 3rd owner of my car.  The state has collected sales tax on the same car 3 times.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Catman

Quote from: dazzleman on September 30, 2007, 04:49:56 PM
The argument has gotten into whether traffic fines should be graduated according to income, or just a flat amount.

What's your opinion on that Greg?

So we should put together a new gov't agency to verify income on everyone and transmit their income to the police mobile computers so an officer can calculate the fine?  Not going to happen.  :nono:

Raza

Quote from: TBR on September 30, 2007, 04:53:08 PM

Why?  You think everyone should have to start on the bottom rung?  If people gain immortality through their offspring, it's in their nature to want to give them better lives than what the parents had when they started.  I don't understand the argument against generational wealth.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on September 30, 2007, 05:25:41 PM
So we should put together a new gov't agency to verify income on everyone and transmit their income to the police mobile computers so an officer can calculate the fine?  Not going to happen.  :nono:

You could argue the theoretical point either way I think, but in practical terms, the implementation of an income-based fine system would be a nightmare.  And surely not worth the trouble in the grand scheme of things.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: The Pirate on September 30, 2007, 05:10:43 PM
Isn't the used car tax great?  I'm the 3rd owner of my car.  The state has collected sales tax on the same car 3 times.

The government collects taxes on the same income many times also.

I pay taxes on my money, and if I hire somebody to do some work for me (such as a contractor, housekeeper, etc.), that person is taxed on the money I pay him/her.

The concept of taxes being collected on the same money (or in your case, object, multiple times) is a pretty widespread one.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=10956.msg587528#msg587528 date=1191194813
Why?  You think everyone should have to start on the bottom rung?  If people gain immortality through their offspring, it's in their nature to want to give them better lives than what the parents had when they started.  I don't understand the argument against generational wealth.

It creates spoiled, arrogant brats who would most often be happier and more successful without the money. People work harder and smarter when they have to build up their resources on their own.

I would rather give my children things to remember me by, then to give them a lot of money, which is, imho, actually a disadvantage.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on September 30, 2007, 06:28:45 PM
You could argue the theoretical point either way I think, but in practical terms, the implementation of an income-based fine system would be a nightmare.  And surely not worth the trouble in the grand scheme of things.

That's pretty much true. Also, I'm not really comfortable with the government going through my income taxes or what have you whenever I get a ticket.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: TBR on September 30, 2007, 09:06:32 PM
It creates spoiled, arrogant brats who would most often be happier and more successful without the money. People work harder and smarter when they have to build up their resources on their own.

I would rather give my children things to remember me by, then to give them a lot of money, which is, imho, actually a disadvantage.

You really think that?  I disagree completely.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the nameless one

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2007, 08:48:06 AM
You really think that?  I disagree completely.

Look at people like Paris Hilton and all of the kids of other famous people. They are almost all screwed up people because of their unrealistic upbringings, easy cash without having to work for it, etc.
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

*"They " can be anyone. Take your pick. I know who MY "they" is. Who is yours?*

the nameless one

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 28, 2007, 04:54:20 PM
Why do you bother arguing with me in the first sentence just to prove my point in the second?
My knowing that the violation happened does not make me "infallible" or "all-knowing"...but I KNOW that THAT violation happened, or I would not be making the stop or issuing a ticket.
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

*"They " can be anyone. Take your pick. I know who MY "they" is. Who is yours?*

Raza

Quote from: the nameless one on October 01, 2007, 02:50:23 PM
Look at people like Paris Hilton and all of the kids of other famous people. They are almost all screwed up people because of their unrealistic upbringings, easy cash without having to work for it, etc.

And Paris Hilton represents all people born with means.  Your assumption is based on availability, not logic.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on September 30, 2007, 06:28:45 PM

Some european countries have tried such a scheme. There were some cases where people were levied huge fines, but instead of paying them made them into huge money losing court cases that they eventually settled for a fraction of what they were initially levied.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the nameless one on October 01, 2007, 02:50:23 PM

So, I should use Mark Fuhrmann to base all of my opinions about cops on, and lt/ Calley to form my opinion of all military people as well, huh?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2007, 03:13:43 PM
And Paris Hilton represents all people born with means.  Your assumption is based on availability, not logic.
I can think of at least two people on this board who would probably be alot happier and alot less stressed without their family's money and the expectations included with it.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on October 01, 2007, 06:14:14 PM
I can think of at least two people on this board who would probably be alot happier and alot less stressed without their family's money and the expectations included with it.

You're right.  No one should have money ever. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2007, 06:17:28 PM
You're right.  No one should have money ever. 

When did I say anything like that? I am just of the opinion that people who work harder for their possessions (I am including education and money in that as well) get more satisfaction and good from them. It really doesn't seem to be an unreasonable theory at all.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on October 01, 2007, 06:30:45 PM
When did I say anything like that? I am just of the opinion that people who work harder for their possessions (I am including education and money in that as well) get more satisfaction and good from them. It really doesn't seem to be an unreasonable theory at all.

I think it's a stupid theory.  Just because people are born with nice things doesn't mean they can't appreciate them.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2007, 06:32:28 PM
I think it's a stupid theory.  Just because people are born with nice things doesn't mean they can't appreciate them.

Okay.

TBR

I think I am much more fit to judge the other side than you are.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on October 01, 2007, 06:39:44 PM
I think I am much more fit to judge the other side than you are.

Why is that?  Because your parents make you pay for everything on your own?  Or because your Christian sensibilities allow you to judge?

I think you're wrong. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

As the person with the least amount of money on this entire forum, I can say that nobody here knows what they're talking about.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

Count me in the "earn your way" crowd.  My parents, though not in the top percentage of income in the country, are very financially sound and could have bought each of their kids new cars and paid for school fully for us.  They paid most of our schooling (having us each take out minimal loans to appreciate the investment) and strived to always teach us the value of a buck.

I'll do the same for my kids.  Even if I was a millionaire, I won't buy them cars.  I will, however, help with schooling costs.

I agree fully with TBR.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.