Who needs internal combustion engines anyway? New method for storing electricity

Started by red_shift, September 07, 2007, 08:30:50 PM

red_shift

Saw this on CNN just now:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/09/07/electric.car.batteries.ap/index.html

If this is all it's promising it is, then we're in for some exciting times in automotive worlds.
Motors only at the wheeels, with batteries in the bottom of passenger space - dynamics should be good,
and it helps contain the pollution and manage it better by producing greener electricity. (or even energy - dense
fuel like Nuclear fuel)
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sportyaccordy

Cool. This will be great for people like my mom. And with cars using this technology, I won't feel bad putting a turbo on my next car :huh:

S204STi

Neat idea, but we're still going to have to get the energy somewhere; whether it's a fossil fuel burning powerplant (because we couldn't possibly use nuclear!) or from an ICE, at some point there is pollution.

Eye of the Tiger

FREAKING AWESOME! Capacitors can charge and discharge almost instantly. It's an excellent idea that just needs some more development.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on September 08, 2007, 09:02:15 PM
Neat idea, but we're still going to have to get the energy somewhere; whether it's a fossil fuel burning powerplant (because we couldn't possibly use nuclear!) or from an ICE, at some point there is pollution.

Electric powerplants are much more efficient at using fossil fuels than individual vehicles, so it's still a huge step in the right direction.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

red_shift

Quote from: R-inge on September 08, 2007, 09:02:15 PM

The energy can come from alternative sources. Nuclear fuel is not all that bad, sooner or later we wil have to come to terms withthe fact that our growing population can most efficiently be energized by Nuclear fuel. We will have to come up with better storage or disposal of spent nuclear fuel.
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

GoCougs

I don't see much of an improvement over batteries, save for perhaps less chemicals. To be used en masse, there would still exist the substantial environmental toll and finanical cost of upgading the country's power grid, let alone the continued pollution of energy generation.

Quicker charge times are substituted for significantly higher current and/or voltage supply; more than what is available at most homes, and certainly more than what the average person should be playing around with. Home charging is one of the endearing qualities of current battery technology.

Maxxum

Well whatever be the pros and cons, one big deal could be that it will reduce dependance on middle east OIL; the money we spend for buying which is being spent in harmful ways.
(\__/)     
(='.'=) << One day I will rule the world!         
(")_(")