Do you think Acura should sell the EL in the US?

Started by BMWDave, May 08, 2005, 06:01:44 PM

BMWDave

Its basically a tarted up Civic with a few luxury touches and an Acura badge.  Power from a 1.8 L engine producing 140 hp.  

So should they sell this in America?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Tom

No.  It doesn't really fit American tastes.

BMWDave

QuoteNo.  It doesn't really fit American tastes.
I dont think it should be sold here.  It is essentially a Civic.  There is no real luxury to it.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

I don't believe it's necessary for the particular vehicle to be sold in the United States of America.  :praise:  :praise:  

Colonel Cadillac

The RSX fits its place as the "economy car."  

Speed_Racer

Yeah, I see no need for a luxurized economy car. The Civic is a nice enough car. An Acura clone would just complicate things, and might not sell well.

See the Saab 9-2X.

850CSi

That car shouldn't exist in the first place. The Civic is ALREADY expensive. Who needs one with an Acura badge and 'luxury' options.

ifcar

QuoteIts basically a tarted up Civic with a few luxury touches and an Acura badge.  Power from a 1.8 L engine producing 140 hp.  

The TSX is as far downmarket as they ought to go, even in Canada.

850CSi

QuoteIts basically a tarted up Civic with a few luxury touches and an Acura badge.  Power from a 1.8 L engine producing 140 hp. 

The TSX is as far downmarket as they ought to go, even in Canada.
For once ifcar agrees with me!

93JC

QuotePower from a 1.8 L engine producing 140 hp.
What?!?!?!?

Try 1.7L and 127hp.  :lol:  

Catman

I agree with everyone else, no.  Infiniti tried this with the G20 and failed.  Though the G20 was not a rebadge of another domestic offering.  It was actually a Nissan Primera, a car not available here.  I actually owned a 1999 G20t in black on black.  The car handled awesome and was only hampered by lackluster engine power.  It was a great can and always topped reliability ratings.

850CSi

QuoteI agree with everyone else, no.  Infiniti tried this with the G20 and failed.  Though the G20 was not a rebadge of another domestic offering.  It was actually a Nissan Primera, a car not available here.  I actually owned a 1999 G20t in black on black.  The car handled awesome and was only hampered by lackluster engine power.  It was a great can and always topped reliability ratings.
I've never been in a G20, but that pretty much sums up everything I've heard about it.

I've been in a Primera. If quality was anything like the Primera, then that was one of hte G20's problems, because the Primera was terrible on the inside.

I think another problem was that it didn't look like a Luxury car and the interior was lacking.

MX793

I definately don't see a need for Acura to move any more down market in the US.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

850CSi

Canadian guys: How much does it cost compared to a TSX?

Does it steal away TSX sales?

93JC

EL goes for around $24,000. TSX is about $35,000.

They don't steal sales from each other (at least I don't think people cross-shop tarted-up Civics and tarted-up European Accords). If anything TSX and TL compete with each other.

EL accounts for the bulk of Acura sales in Canada.

ifcar

QuoteI agree with everyone else, no.  Infiniti tried this with the G20 and failed.  Though the G20 was not a rebadge of another domestic offering.  It was actually a Nissan Primera, a car not available here.  I actually owned a 1999 G20t in black on black.  The car handled awesome and was only hampered by lackluster engine power.  It was a great can and always topped reliability ratings.
The G20 was more in the position that the TSX is in now, maybe slightly lower. And it didn't necessarily fail because it was a mainstream-level Infiniti, it failed because it had rather bland styling that didn't look upscale enough to tempt consumers into the Infiniti brand.  

TurboDan

My aunt has her 2001 G20 still.  I've driven it, and it handles beautifully.  Only problem is the sorta weak engine, but even that's not THAT big of a deal.  The exterior styling is very nice, IMO.

I think the interior of the car looks too mainstream and not luxurious enough.  That's the only issue I really had with it.  But still, I liked the G20.

SJ_GTI

I see EL's all over the place. I don't see the point but apparently alot of candian's do. For the money I think I would rather have a VW Golf or Mazda 3s.

NomisR

EL has no place for the US, RSX is already too low for the lineup in my opinion, but then again if it was moved down to a Honda, I don't think it'd sell as it would occupy the same spot as the old prelude althought it would be more similar to a Civic.

IrishGuy

<off topic a bit>I test drove a G20 once and loved everything about the car except for the engine. Perhaps I will look at getting a used one soon however.</off topic a bit>
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

FlatBlackCaddy

What year did you drive irishguy.

I see alot of people have driven the newer ones.

As with alot of nissan vehicles the best G20 was the early yeared ones(pre 95).
I've owned one and driven several of the early ones and the engine is much better than later detuned versions.

The early G20's use the same motor as the SE-R's and NX2000's of the same time, i've never heard any complaints about weak motors in those cars.

IrishGuy

QuoteWhat year did you drive irishguy.

I see alot of people have driven the newer ones.

As with alot of nissan vehicles the best G20 was the early yeared ones(pre 95).
I've owned one and driven several of the early ones and the engine is much better than later detuned versions.

The early G20's use the same motor as the SE-R's and NX2000's of the same time, i've never heard any complaints about weak motors in those cars.
As you guessed a more recent one 2000+
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

mazda6er

What?!?!?!?

Even better! Sign me up!  :P
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

What?!?!?!?

Even better! Sign me up!  :P
My bad, I thought the engine was more powerful.  Wow, thats a really weak engine then! :o  

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

No. Its pointless. And the G20 is awesome.  :praise:  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club