SSC Ultimate Aero hits 257 mph!!!!

Started by SVT666, September 14, 2007, 09:28:48 AM

Champ

Panama_Chopster

Half the turbos and cylinders of the Veyron but I also guess it weighs the half of a Veyron too.

the Teuton

Carroll Shelby had something to do with this car?  Awesome!

I hope it's also half the price of the Bugatti, too, even though I won't be able to afford one for a few more years.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on September 14, 2007, 11:54:55 AM
Carroll Shelby had something to do with this car?  Awesome!
This is right at the bottom of SSC's webpage: Shelby Supercars, LLC is in no way affiliated with Carroll Shelby or Shelby North America.

sandertheshark

Hells yeah.  Suck on that, Volkswagen.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 14, 2007, 03:24:02 PM
This is right at the bottom of SSC's webpage: Shelby Supercars, LLC is in no way affiliated with Carroll Shelby or Shelby North America.

Well, damn.  But I don't think that this car will struggle to make a profit as much as the Bugatti, which never will.  How can you over-engineer a car so much when another company can just brush you aside so quickly?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on September 14, 2007, 07:21:46 PM
Well, damn.  But I don't think that this car will struggle to make a profit as much as the Bugatti, which never will.  How can you over-engineer a car so much when another company can just brush you aside so quickly?
To be fair the Ultimate Aero has been in development for 7 years.  Too bad it looks like a Diablo that's been beaten with a sledge hammer.

Secret Chimp

I think I've driven on this highway they're talking about, I think it's just east of the Columbia river.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raghavan

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Submariner

Quote from: Submariner on September 15, 2007, 09:10:31 AM

Seriously, who cares if It can't reach a speed none of you will be able to.  The Zonda Is just so exquisitely detailed and executed that you forget you can only do 0-60 in a pedestrian 3.4 seconds. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sandertheshark

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 15, 2007, 08:38:46 AM
I'll just take this:

Yeah, me too.  It'll probably be faster than the SSC anyways.

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on September 14, 2007, 07:21:46 PM

I somehow doubt that this car has the road manners of a Veyron. It may not matter to you, but it might to... say... Ralph Lauren.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

nickdrinkwater

r0tor

you can go to Bonneville and see all kinds of ill thought out automobiles reaching those speeds... its one thing to hit the speed, its another for the car to actually be done in a safe manner and stable enough to be driveable by someone other then a test driver
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on September 18, 2007, 09:18:12 AM
you can go to Bonneville and see all kinds of ill thought out automobiles reaching those speeds... its one thing to hit the speed, its another for the car to actually be done in a safe manner and stable enough to be driveable by someone other then a test driver
In the end, does it really matter?  Nope.  It's good for bragging rights and that's it, because there is no way any of these cars can reach those speeds on any public roads anywhere in the world, including the Autobahn.

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 18, 2007, 09:24:11 AM
In the end, does it really matter?  Nope.  It's good for bragging rights and that's it, because there is no way any of these cars can reach those speeds on any public roads anywhere in the world, including the Autobahn.

so then whats the point of the whole thread?  who cares how fast it can go?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on September 18, 2007, 09:47:21 AM
Obviously lots of people do.  The reason we do is because achieving that kind of speed is very impressive.  Does it matter if you can do it only with a pro driver or if any regular driver can do it (like in a Veyron)?  No, I don't think it does because those speeds are only achievable on a select few race tracks in the world anyway. 

Champ

Quote from: r0tor on September 18, 2007, 09:47:21 AM
Man I'm glad more people don't think like you.

How will we ever advance without pushing the envelope?

r0tor

Well, if you want to look at it just for numbers Racing Beat got a FD RX7 up to 242mph in 1995 -shrug-

...if your not trying to acheive outright speed while being reasonable about it, its not very hard to do

Champ

Quote from: r0tor on September 18, 2007, 10:45:38 AM
Well, if you want to look at it just for numbers Racing Beat got a FD RX7 up to 242mph in 1995 -shrug-

...if your not trying to acheive outright speed while being reasonable about it, its not very hard to do
Why isn't this car reasonable?

r0tor

Quote from: Champ on September 18, 2007, 12:44:27 PM
Why isn't this car reasonable?

It has no where near the development time the Veyron has to actually make sure you don't die while attempting your run...

its no more special then Racing Beat flipping a 900hp 3 rotor engine in an RX7 over 10 years ago and going 242mph - or anyone else thats into top speed racing

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on September 18, 2007, 12:53:24 PM
It has no where near the development time the Veyron has to actually make sure you don't die while attempting your run...
It took 7 years to develop this car.

Quoteits no more special then Racing Beat flipping a 900hp 3 rotor engine in an RX7 over 10 years ago and going 242mph - or anyone else thats into top speed racing
I think that's pretty impressive actually. :huh:  Is it only impressive if the car can carry you in complete silence with a glass of wine in your hand and steering with one hand?

Champ

Quote from: r0tor on September 18, 2007, 12:53:24 PM
Have either of these cars even been in any formal crash testing?  How do you know the Veryon will hold up better than this?

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 18, 2007, 01:47:22 PM
It took 7 years to develop this car.
I think that's pretty impressive actually. :huh:  Is it only impressive if the car can carry you in complete silence with a glass of wine in your hand and steering with one hand?

7years isn't an especialy long time for a car like this.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Tave

I thought it was supposed to hit 270-something.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on September 18, 2007, 03:01:46 PM
I thought it was supposed to hit 270-something.
No, that's the Saleen S7 TT I believe.