First car possibilites

Started by CJ, September 16, 2007, 05:01:36 PM

AKL

Do you want a compact or midsize?
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

CJ

I saw that one and I kinda like it.  I just really want a car that hasn't been wrecked.

I would prefer a midsize, but a compact works the same way.  They're all cars.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CJ on September 16, 2007, 05:42:33 PM
Oh, and I'm also looking atlate 90's-'00 Saturn SL2's.

Yet you rule out Intrepids.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

AKL

---------------------
---------------------

CJ

The Intrepid is a POS and I don't want it.  Those Saturn's, on the other hand, are very reliable and very low mainanence.  YOu have to keep a wrench on Chryslers.

CJ

Also, mid 90's Tacoma single cabs with a V6, 5-speed, and 4-wheel drive.

Raghavan

Quote from: CJ on September 16, 2007, 05:50:55 PM
Those are really expensive still, and are bad on gas.
I'd go with a 2WD, 5 speed I4 if i were you.

CJ

Single cab or double cab, really.

Raghavan

AKL

Quote from: CJ on September 16, 2007, 05:50:55 PM

Why do you need a truck?
---------------------
---------------------

CJ

I don't.  Last year, I was looking at these and they really seemed to be the way to go.  That was also when I could find one with relatively low miles and cost less than $4,000.  But they don't anymore, so they're off the list.

CJ

I think I'll add 1995-1997 Acura Integra's on the list.  They seem to be relatively cheap.

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on September 16, 2007, 06:03:01 PM
I think I'll add 1995-1997 Acura Integra's on the list.  They seem to be relatively cheap.

Remember, age is also important, not just mileage.

CJ

I just really want a car that hasn't been wrecked and this is a good way to do it.  I'll probably search dealership lots when the time comes to buy, but right now I'm just looking at what I like.

Raghavan

Doesn't your brother already have an Integra?

CJ

Yes.  :lol:  They're cheap, reliable, and are easy to find. 

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 16, 2007, 05:36:23 PM
Ok, I plugged that (<$5000 and <100k mi. +sunroof) into cars.com for the Dallas area and found a '94 Volvo 960, a '97 Nissan Maxima, a '94 Infiniti J30, a 2000 Mazda 626, and a '98 Civic.

The Volvo 960 had a really nice I6, is safe, RWD, and is a pretty nice car. Possibily not the most fun, but a very solid car.

CJ

Those 960's are wonderful!  If I could find one in great shape around here, or on eBay, I'd jump for it. 

CJ

Oh my.  That IS perfect.  I must find one of these in a year.

ro51092

Quote from: CJ on September 16, 2007, 05:37:33 PM
Huh....I'm looking at a '98 Passat 2.8 GLX and it looks to be a pretty darn good deal.  Pretty cheap to boot.  I think the B4 is a serious contender now.

1998 is a B5

SVT_Power

just make sure u dont get a rare car like i did :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

The Pirate

Of the three on your list, I'd go with the Hyundai.

Older European cars, while they may be reliable, are going to require repairs and maintenance periodically and it's not going to be cheap.  You mention being on a very tight budget, which would rule out an older, high mileage European car IMO.

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CJ

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONLY-83k-MILES-SERVICED-WARRANTY-INCLUDED-i33_W0QQitemZ290159040158QQihZ019QQcategoryZ31878QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check that sucker out! 

I know there are risks with older Eurpean cars, but there's just so much character in them that it'd be worth it.

TheIntrepid

850s are nice. My mom had a white 1993 850GLT back in the day.

AKL

Quote from: The Pirate on September 16, 2007, 06:53:49 PM
Of the three on your list, I'd go with the Hyundai.

Older European cars, while they may be reliable, are going to require repairs and maintenance periodically and it's not going to be cheap.  You mention being on a very tight budget, which would rule out an older, high mileage European car IMO.

I agree. You need to be able to afford not only the car but the costs it will inevitably bring with it.

Don't forget they're not cheap to repair either.
---------------------
---------------------

TheIntrepid

Quote from: AKL on September 16, 2007, 07:08:24 PM
I agree. You need to be able to afford not only the car but the costs it will inevitably bring with it.

++

I really wanted a B5 Passat to be on my list, but I am too scared of problems. That's why the Infiniti is there. Just as fun AND reliable.

Submariner

A TD will not die.  They just won't.

I mean, it has it's downfalls.  Same day acceleration, an unpleasant and obtrusive exhaust note, and long winter startups are a problem, but buying a TD is essentially buying a car that will last for as long as you keep it, if not longer.

Plus, it's awesome.

You can find good condition W-126 300 SE or SD's for about five thousand too, might want to look into them.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Panama_Chopster

Quote from: Submariner on September 16, 2007, 07:20:57 PM
A TD will not die.  They just won't.

I mean, it has it's downfalls.  Same day acceleration, an unpleasant and obtrusive exhaust note, and long winter startups are a problem, but buying a TD is essentially buying a car that will last for as long as you keep it, if not longer.

Plus, it's awesome.

You can find good condition W-126 300 SE or SD's for about five thousand too, might want to look into them.

Torque compensates the lack of power in the fun to drive department, not to mention good gas mileage and being a diesel also less maintenance costs.