First car possibilites

Started by CJ, September 16, 2007, 05:01:36 PM

Champ

I say keep up with the Saturn's, I worked there for 3 years and loved the cars.  It is one of my top cars under $5k to buy - I always look at them come winter time cuz I think of storing the Vig.

CJ

I have one thing about those Saturn's.  Are the transmissions any bad?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CJ on September 16, 2007, 08:37:23 PM
I have one thing about those Saturn's.  Are the transmissions any bad?

Is you good in English?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CJ

At least I don't have an Intrepid.

ro51092

Quote from: CJ on September 16, 2007, 08:40:39 PM

That really shows that you're good at English.

CJ

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CJ on September 16, 2007, 08:40:39 PM

That's right. You don't even have a car.

ro51092

Quote from: CJ on September 16, 2007, 08:42:06 PM
:confused:

YU MUSHT NOHT UHNDURSTAHND ME. TREP SAY THAT U NO GOOD ENGLISH. YU SAY HE HAS TREPID. I SAY YU GOOD ENGLISH NOW. YOU CONFUSD. UHNDURSTAHND?

(sorry to be a jackass, I couldn't resist)

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ro51092 on September 16, 2007, 08:46:34 PM
YU MUSHT NOHT UHNDURSTAHND ME. TREP SAY THAT U NO GOOD ENGLISH. YU SAY HE HAS TREPID. I SAY YU GOOD ENGLISH NOW. YOU CONFUSD. UHNDURSTAHND?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure my cab driver from last night speaks better English than CJ

ro51092

Please reply to me in Luxury Talk.

sandertheshark

Quote from: ro51092 on September 16, 2007, 08:46:34 PM

First thing that made me think of:

3.0L V6

As I was in your shoes at the beginning of this year and I ended up with a Saturn SC1.

Weak points:
Oil burning. They are noted for consuming oil. Keep an eye on it.
Engine Coolant Temp Sensor. $20 part and 10 minutes to upgrade it to a new sensor.
Top motor mount tends to wear. Easy fix.
Differential pin. If your car has done one wheel spinning, the differential pin could go and destroy the transmission case. Make sure your car wasn't abused by a previous owner. The pin take a fair bit of abuse.

Pros: Parts are cheap.
Easy for a novice to fix
Excellent gas mileage.
Other than the issues above, reliable.

Edit: Can't spell.

Champ

Not really any more likely to go bad under normal driving conditions than any other tranny on the market.  I don't remember anything specific so to me it's a non-issue.

They really are quite good cars.

Laconian

850s are maintenance nightmares.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid

If I only had $5,000 to buy the best value for my money, and wanted reliablity and good gas mileage, like CJ does, I'd buy the best Camry available for $5k, probably something between 1998-2000.

Oh wait, he already has a 2000 Camry.

CJ

If I could find a Miata for $5,000 when I'm ready to buy, I'll see what my dad says about it.  That is, after all, one of his favorite cars....ever.  To the Protege: I'll definitely look for those.  Honestly, they escaped my mind. 

If 850s are nightmares, then they're off the list.

nickdrinkwater

Are used cars that expensive over there?! wow....

For 5 grand I thought you could do much better than a 10 year old Volvo.  Why don't you look at American brands, as the Saturns show, their values drop a lot more steeply AFAIK.  Plus the maintenance will be cheaper I'd guess from the fact that parts are easier to find and less expensive.  Something like a Pontiac or a small Buick comes to mind.

Otherwise, what's wrong with a Camry?  Not the most exciting thing but it's reliable, comfortable and pretty safe.

Failing that, if you really want something a bit different, the W124 is a GREAT choice.  Those things are tanks.  The diesel would be a great bet, as it's been said it will last a lifetime and won't be too bad on fuel consumption.

CJ

What's wrong with our Camry is the fact that it has been wrecked.  It was wrecked quite badly nearly 3 years ago and nearly totaled.  Idiot teenage brother behind the wheel of a speeding car on a wet curvy road with storm drains FTL.

I have the possibility of getting my Grandma's Buick if she passes away in the next year, but I don't want that to happen.

nickdrinkwater

When you say wrecked, you mean it was a write off, or just damaged and then repaired?
It it was repaired properly what's the problem?

Raza

5 grand is a lot of money on the used market, believe it or not.

I'd get a 3 door Focus stickshift. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Quote from: CJ on September 17, 2007, 10:52:37 AM
If I could find a Miata for $5,000 when I'm ready to buy, I'll see what my dad says about it.  That is, after all, one of his favorite cars....ever.  To the Protege: I'll definitely look for those.  Honestly, they escaped my mind. 

If 850s are nightmares, then they're off the list.

You should at least test drive the Protege, and shoot me any questions about them.  I have a 2001 ES, and I like it a lot.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a more fun to drive car in that category. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Laconian

I can find a million NA Miatas for under $5k.

Mine was $6k for a '95 with 53k miles, popular equip package (incl. LSD), and a hardtop.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ro51092

NA's are nice. I think the Proteg? is an awesome choice.

the Teuton

Whatever you wanted, throw them all out the window.  This car will hit 60 mph in the low 5s, maybe high 4s.  If it weren't in Texas, I'd buy it.

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/424013318.html
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ro51092

Quote from: the Teuton on September 17, 2007, 02:04:38 PM
Whatever you wanted, throw them all out the window.  This car will hit 60 mph in the low 5s, maybe high 4s.  If it weren't in Texas, I'd buy it.

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/424013318.html

You win.

the Teuton

Did I mention that it's still insured as an Impreza L -- one of the lowest costs of insurance out there for compact cars?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on September 17, 2007, 02:13:46 PM
Did I mention that it's still insured as an Impreza L -- one of the lowest costs of insurance out there for compact cars?

So when it's wrecked, they'll give you replacement cost for a 12 year old base model Subaru, around 2 grand if you're lucky.

Were something to happen that required an insurance claim, you'd be bitten in the ass.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.