A little late, but lets talk about the Labour day weekend

Started by VTEC_Inside, September 18, 2007, 12:58:01 PM

VTEC_Inside

For those unfamiliar, Ontario saw its highest fatality rate this past labor day weekend (for the weekend that is).

This despite ridiculously high levels of speeding enforcement.

Yet no one had the balls to come to the media and make that connection. Not once did I hear it suggested that maybe they should be targeting things such as failing to signal and lane camping more actively instead.

It boils my blood that such emphasis is placed on speeding while the behaviors that lead to the majority of accidents are left unchecked.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

James Young

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on September 18, 2007, 12:58:01 PM
For those unfamiliar, Ontario saw its highest fatality rate this past labor day weekend (for the weekend that is).

This despite ridiculously high levels of speeding enforcement.

Yet no one had the balls to come to the media and make that connection. Not once did I hear it suggested that maybe they should be targeting things such as failing to signal and lane camping more actively instead.

It boils my blood that such emphasis is placed on speeding while the behaviors that lead to the majority of accidents are left unchecked.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Ontario law enforcement will contend that the increase (if there really was an increase in the rate; it's much too early to ascertain that) was due to not having enough manpower to apply to the situation.  Of course, if the crashes decreased, they would claim it was due to their efforts.  It's been this way since the 1950s.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

Catman

Without that enforcement they'd still be scraping bodies of the pavement. 

Raza

Quote from: Catman on September 18, 2007, 02:49:46 PM

Wouldn't you love to believe that?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

I think more attention should be paid to tailgating and aggressive driving and less to safe speeding.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

James Young

Quote from: Raza  on September 18, 2007, 03:13:10 PM
Wouldn't you love to believe that?

Raza, chill out.  Catman is just playin' with you.  :)
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

280Z Turbo

Yeah thank God they caught those maniacs going 62 in a 55!

sparkplug

Hm... with a shovel I suppose? I remember there was this accident and someone come across a severed head. Why we have enforcement is kind of obvious.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

dsred

Quote from: sparkplug on September 18, 2007, 06:02:27 PM
Hm... with a shovel I suppose? I remember there was this accident and someone come across a severed head. Why we have enforcement is kind of obvious.

Of course. It's to make money....

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.