r0tary engine will live on

Started by r0tor, September 18, 2007, 04:39:50 PM

Onslaught

Yes, and with all the oil and black smoke shooting out of the exhaust it makes it difficult to push from the back.

280Z Turbo

You may start on fire from all the flames shooting out.

Dun-dun-dun-dun-duh-dun-dun-dun-dun-duh-dun-dun-dun-vrrrrrrrrrrrrruummmmmmmm-popopopoppopp-da-dum-dum-da-dum exhaust note would become irritating after a while.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 21, 2007, 04:48:27 PM
You may start on fire from all the flames shooting out.

Dun-dun-dun-dun-duh-dun-dun-dun-dun-duh-dun-dun-dun-vrrrrrrrrrrrrruummmmmmmm-popopopoppopp-da-dum-dum-da-dum exhaust note would become irritating after a while.

NO way! Dun-dun-dun-dun-duh-dun-dun-dun-dun-duh-dun-dun-dun-vrrrrrrrrrrrrruummmmmmmm-popopopoppopp-da-dum-dum-da-dum is wicked awesome. I love the flamez, too.  :praise:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2007, 04:02:24 PM
but with the same effort, you can make a 400hp rx with a rotary

Not for the cost or reliability. Mine was a regular driver for 4+ years with zero issues, and never taken apart again. That's not the case with high power rotaries. In fact, they make better daily drivers with the swap, not just faster performance cars.

Guys, the fact is, the RX7 is one of the best low cost chassis in all of automobiledom, and especially cheap when they don't run anymore (and so many don't). If I wanted a Mustang (which I've owned) or a Corvette (which I've owned) I'd buy one. I didn't WANT one, I wanted the lighter, better looking, better built, vastly CHEAPER alternative, with better suspension and brakes than any mustang save a highly modded race one, and better build quality and ergonomics than any relatively inexpensive Corvette. And I had a total of $4k (including the car and the suspension mods I had done when the car was a rotary powered autocrosser) into it. You can't match it with a Corvette, Camaro, or Mustang.

Has nothing to do with simply throwing power at a car like a "redneck hotrodder that has no clue," and I'm offended that someone is retarded enough to insinuate that.

I've had a number of rotary powered cars, from an R100 and RX2, through a pair of RX3s and a couple RX7s. I've rebuilt rotary engines on my kitchen table (Don't try this when married). I doubt rOtor has done anything but masturbate to the idea of a rotary.

The engine swapped cars are the perfect marriage of cheap, reliable horsepower with a perfectly balanced chassis that is light, attractive, well built, with excellent suspension and brakes, and it loses NONE of it's good qualities with the swap, retaining it's balance, poise, style, and ergonomics, while being infused with a large helping of reliable power and torque.

I'd still love to see a 20B twin turbo in a '65 Mustang fastback...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Onslaught

You could be an exception to the rule.  But I stand by the fact that many people I know who do swaps in RX-7's, 240-260Z cars and what have you are drag racing red necks who think power is everything.
One of the biggest reasons why I like the 7 is the motor. So without it I don't like it as much. But I don't care nor am I insulted that you don't look at it that way.

280Z Turbo

A V8 in a Z is fine with me. :huh:

And I'd rather have an RX-7 with a piston engine. Preferably a Mazda piston engine to keep it all Mazda.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on September 22, 2007, 04:53:44 PM
You could be an exception to the rule.  But I stand by the fact that many people I know who do swaps in RX-7's, 240-260Z cars and what have you are drag racing red necks who think power is everything.
One of the biggest reasons why I like the 7 is the motor. So without it I don't like it as much. But I don't care nor am I insulted that you don't look at it that way.

Just because somebody is a dragracer,they are a redneck?

I wonder how the import drag racing scene even exists at all then.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Not always. I'm sure you can find people who like going in a straight line who aren't rednecks. I just don't know any personally. But then again I do live in the south.

Onslaught

Why do people care so much that some people like a rotary in a RX car? I dont' give a shit if you do what you want with your cars. Put a rocket motor in it if it makes you happy. Just don't think I should love it too.

I'm sure if I put a rotary in a Cobra and took it to a Cobra club meeting you would find a few people who would think it was cool. But I'm thinking most of them would think it was a horrible idea.
Just like if I had a old Mustang and put a Supra motor in it. Many Ford guys would hate it. But lets all say that a Rotary fan who's not all happy about some domestic motor being put in his RX is a nut job!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on September 22, 2007, 07:27:08 PM
Not always. I'm sure you can find people who like going in a straight line who aren't rednecks. I just don't know any personally. But then again I do live in the south.

Everybody who lives in the south are rednecks. Maybe some aren't, I just don'tknow any personally.

;)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CJ

I live in the south and I'm not a redneck!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on September 22, 2007, 09:00:49 PM
I live in the south and I'm not a redneck!

You are.

Rednecks always have a hard time recognizing sarcasm.

280Z Turbo

Number one rule in hot rodding:

You can't go down in the number of cylinders.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 22, 2007, 09:22:59 PM
Number one rule in hot rodding:

You can't go down in the number of cylinders.

Number two rule in hot rodding:

Rules are for squares, man.

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 22, 2007, 08:38:22 PM
Everybody who lives in the south are rednecks. Maybe some aren't, I just don'tknow any personally.

;)
I'm not! I don't have time to argue with you about it. Don't want to over cook my possum!

;)

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on September 22, 2007, 04:02:01 PM
Not for the cost or reliability. Mine was a regular driver for 4+ years with zero issues, and never taken apart again. That's not the case with high power rotaries. In fact, they make better daily drivers with the swap, not just faster performance cars.

Complete and utter bullshit.  There are countless boosted rotary engines that have been through thousands of miles and even raced in endurance events without a problem.  Hell, for the price of a V8 sway I can get a 20B thats putting down 400+hp normally aspirated and found in the GT endurance race cars.  Boosted they are in the 800+ hp range without problems.  Just like any engine, its only going to be as reliable as the monkey behind the wrench makes it to be.  Pettit racing currently has 100,000 miles of testing on a supercharger kit for an RX8 that puts down around 300hp to the wheels.

I've had a number of rotary powered cars, from an R100 and RX2, through a pair of RX3s and a couple RX7s. I've rebuilt rotary engines on my kitchen table (Don't try this when married). I doubt rOtor has done anything but masturbate to the idea of a rotary.

Well, I've tuned an engine management system for a RENESIS... didn't need to do any more then that because my engine hasn't broke in 4 years and counting!

The engine swapped cars are the perfect marriage of cheap, reliable horsepower with a perfectly balanced chassis that is light, attractive, well built, with excellent suspension and brakes, and it loses NONE of it's good qualities with the swap, retaining it's balance, poise, style, and ergonomics, while being infused with a large helping of reliable power and torque.

...and looses the enjoyment of an engine that will smoothly rev to 9k without thinking, provides a great low center of gravity, low polar moment of inertia, all all sense of identity
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on September 23, 2007, 06:58:07 AM
I'm not! I don't have time to argue with you about it. Don't want to over cook my possum!

;)

There's your first mistake.  You just flash fry possum.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2007, 01:00:58 PM
thats what they all said about a miata too

The MX-5 SP flew off dealer lots here, and they've kept their values very nicely.

r0tor

i believe the official word at SevenStock was the new RENESIS(2) will be bumped to 1.55L and be labeled a "15C"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

Quote from: omicron on September 24, 2007, 10:52:04 AM
The MX-5 SP flew off dealer lots here, and they've kept their values very nicely.
Not for us. Our cars didn't sell and had heavy rebates on them. Most Miata people felt the car didn't have enough power. I personally felt like it was good for a production turbo. If I could have fit in one then I would have got one.

omicron

Quote from: Onslaught on September 24, 2007, 03:25:01 PM
Not for us. Our cars didn't sell and had heavy rebates on them. Most Miata people felt the car didn't have enough power. I personally felt like it was good for a production turbo. If I could have fit in one then I would have got one.

You'll have to excuse me; I got myself confused with nomenclature.

The SP was Australia-only; you couldn't have had any of those flying off your dealer lots. I'm sure you were referring to the SE, which I think is what I meant to say originally.

Soup DeVille

He must have been referring to the Mazdaspeed MX-5.

Onslaught

I think Rotor was talking about the US turbo MSMX-5 and that's what I was also.

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 24, 2007, 09:42:43 PM
He must have been referring to the Mazdaspeed MX-5.

Hmm.

*consults interwebs*

Aus MX5 SE = 162hp/152lb-ft
NA Mazdaspeed MX5 = 178hp/166lb-ft
Aus MX5 SP = 210hp/213lb-ft

Mazda; damnit. This doesn't help me become involved in Merry Can conversation.

The Pirate

Quote from: Onslaught on September 24, 2007, 03:25:01 PM

How tall are you?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on September 24, 2007, 09:59:13 PM
Hmm.

*consults interwebs*

Aus MX5 SE = 162hp/152lb-ft
NA Mazdaspeed MX5 = 178hp/166lb-ft
Aus MX5 SP = 210hp/213lb-ft

Mazda; damnit. This doesn't help me become involved in Merry Can conversation.

It is though, one more instance when Australians get the cooler car...

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 24, 2007, 10:41:27 PM
It is though, one more instance when Australians get the cooler car...

Unauthorised by Mazda head office, might I add.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on September 24, 2007, 10:46:04 PM
Unauthorised by Mazda head office, might I add.

That's precious. Even the Japanese imports get to be criminals...

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 24, 2007, 10:47:44 PM
That's precious. Even the Japanese imports get to be criminals...

It's the only Mazda in the world to run on bread crusts and water!

Soup DeVille