Edmunds Full Review - 2008 Cadillac CTS

Started by VetteZ06, September 27, 2007, 11:35:24 AM

VetteZ06

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=122751?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1#4

Aside from the marginal 0-60 time (which, as usual for Edmunds, is a bit slower than what other automotive publications recorded), I've rarely seen such a positive review from them.

109 feet 60-0, 67.0 mph in the slalom, 0.85g around the skidpad, an amazing infotainment system, an interior that makes the Germans look "austere" and the Japanese "antiseptic," and a confident and composed chassis. GM, please put this much effort into all of your cars in the future.

SJ_GTI

It will, at best, be ranked 3rd or 4th in any comparison. They stop well short of calling it class leading or even as good as the best. Its "the best Cadillac." Its called damning with faint praise.

ifcar

I read a review today of the base-suspension car that was not too favorable, written by a sporadic member here:

http://www.epinions.com/content_404023316100

I share the concerns about the interior space, but it's good to see an indication that sport models are living up to the sport hype. I notice that Edmunds didn't share his concerns about lateral support though.

I'm looking forward to driving it myself, but I think I'll need to wait for supply to catch up with demand.

Edmunds used to get slower times, but now they are right in line with the best that C&D and Motortrend get.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=116681

Here they drove a G35 to 13.9 seconds at 102mph.  I think C&D managed about the same

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=117669

Here they drove a BMW 335 to 13.3 seconds at 105.9mph.  That is one of the fastest ever recorded magazine times for the 335.

So I think this new CTS is really just a 14.9 second car with a 94ish mph trap. That means it's about on par with a BMW 328 in performance, and seeing how this particular model starts at 3 grand MORE than a 328, I don't really see how it's gonna be a winner in this field.  Even Edmunds admit most of its handling praise come from the PS2's the car wears.  These tires don't have very long trend life, have low weather capability.  I'd want these tires on my Z06, but not on something like this.

I agree with SJ_GTI on this one.  In order to really pull buyers away from the Germans and Japanese, the CTS needs to out perform the competition, while undercutting the price.  This falls short on performance, and falls short on value too.

Hell for 44 grand you could buy a M45.

VetteZ06

I believe C&D got 5.8 seconds for their 0-60 time when they tested the CTS, and Motor Trend got something similar. There was also a recent test (within the past year) where they tested a Z06 and got 4.5 seconds 0-60 (versus times in the range of 3.4 - 3.7 seconds almost everywhere else). Historically, it has never been surprising to find Edmunds getting slower times.

And if you're talking strictly about performance numbers on paper, I suppose the CTS is slower than some of its competition. But it does so many other things unbelievably well that a few tenths in the 0-60 column shouldn't overshadow its other strengths. Obviously Edmunds agrees, given the overall tone of the review.

GoCougs

4000 lb and 300 hp, and the CTS should consider itself lucky that it runs upper 14s in the 1/4 mile...

IMO, it's notable that they call it the best Caddy in 40 years, but it still is playing catch up in the class, and it's brand spanking new.

VetteZ06

Quote from: GoCougs on September 27, 2007, 02:41:19 PM
IMO, it's notable that they call it the best Caddy in 40 years, but it still is playing catch up in the class, and it's brand spanking new.

Playing catch-up where, exactly? Other than acceleration numbers, of course.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on September 27, 2007, 02:41:19 PM
4000 lb and 300 hp, and the CTS should consider itself lucky that it runs upper 14s in the 1/4 mile...

Its actually closer to 3900 lbs (3874 for the 3.6DI and Automatic, 3861 for the 3.6FI and 6MT). Its still quite heavy though. For reference:

G35 Base: 3508
335i: 3593
IS350: 3527
A4 3.2 Quattro: 3649

Granted, the CTS is a bit bigger than the rest. Here is the next size class:

M35: 3916
535i: 3660
GS350: 3704
A6 3.2 Quattro: 4034

So its about average for this class. Still no lightweight though.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=11362.msg584042#msg584042 date=1190926963
3,990 pounds

:confused:

Where did that weight come from? Edmunds lists it at 3874 on their website.

ifcar

Quote from: SJ_GTI on September 27, 2007, 03:05:43 PM
Where did that weight come from? Edmunds lists it at 3874 on their website.

From Edmunds:

Manufacturer Curb Weight (lb): 3,874 (3,990 as tested)

FlatBlackCaddy

sportyaccordy

It's a 5 series at 3 series pricing. I think it's unfair to compare it to cars like the G and 3. Looks promising though

ifcar

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 27, 2007, 03:56:02 PM
It's a 5 series at 3 series pricing. I think it's unfair to compare it to cars like the G and 3. Looks promising though

It's too small inside and too slow to be a 5-Series competitor. It's a G35 or 3-Series equivalent that's just bigger without benefit.

850CSi

Quote from: ifcar on September 27, 2007, 03:57:47 PM
It's too small inside and too slow to be a 5-Series competitor. It's a G35 or 3-Series equivalent that's just bigger without benefit.

Exactly, it's 400 pounds heavier than a G35 without increase in interior size.

Front Head Room  G35 40.5in  CTS 38.8in
Rear Head Room G35 37.7in CTS 37.2in
Front Leg Room G35 43.9in CTS 42.4in
Rear Leg Room G35 34.7in CTS 35.9in
Cargo Room G35 13.5 cubic feet CTS 13.6 cubic feet.

So basically the G35 has a bigger front seat and better headroom all around.  The only advantage of the CTS is more leg room in the rear. For an extra 4.6 inches of length, extra 3.6 inches of width, and an extra 400 pounds the CTS doesn't manage to be bigger inside.  What wasteful packaging.

So in the end it's slower than the G35, it's much heavier than the G35, it's bigger than the G35 without being roomier inside, and it's even more expensive than the G35.  GM is an also ran in this market again.

GoCougs

Quote from: VetteZ06 on September 27, 2007, 02:43:43 PM
Playing catch-up where, exactly? Other than acceleration numbers, of course.

That it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, and that it is packaged strangely, heavy, and expensive.

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on September 27, 2007, 03:57:47 PM

Huh? Too small maybe, but not too slow, even the FI version should be able to put up times comparable to the considerably more expensive 528i.

sandertheshark

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 27, 2007, 03:45:25 PM
She's a big girl
And from the sound of it, two tons of fun.  More cushion for the pushin' and all that.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on September 27, 2007, 07:43:11 PM
Huh? Too small maybe, but not too slow, even the FI version should be able to put up times comparable to the considerably more expensive 528i.

Yes, but you're talking about its top engine against the 5-Series base engine. If the two are actually in the same class, they'd be compared across the line.

But they are not in the same class. They are only comparable in exterior dimensions.

TBR

If I was looking for a midsize sports sedan I'd cross shop the two...

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on September 27, 2007, 07:50:45 PM
If I was looking for a midsize sports sedan I'd cross shop the two...

If you needed something bigger than compact, then the CTS wouldn't suffice.

TBR

Oh really? I'll have to drop by my GM dealer and peak through the windows. Surely it isn't as bad as the IS?

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on September 27, 2007, 07:56:17 PM
Oh really? I'll have to drop by my GM dealer and peak through the windows. Surely it isn't as bad as the IS?

Not from what I understand. (Yes, I haven't actually been in it yet.) But the review I posted in this thread said it's only slightly roomier than the 3-Series.

TBR

ifcar

I as well. (And I don't just mean by looking in the window.)

TBR

Of course, but they aren't going to let me drive it. Crap, at one point this particularly dealership wouldn't let people test drive until they had a check in their hands.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on September 27, 2007, 08:15:02 PM
Of course, but they aren't going to let me drive it. Crap, at one point this particularly dealership wouldn't let people test drive until they had a check in their hands.

You don't need to drive a car to see how roomy it is, just to see how it drives. But you do need to sit in a car to see how roomy it is.

TBR

Certainly, though you can get a vague idea just looking at it.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on September 27, 2007, 09:41:54 PM
Certainly, though you can get a vague idea just looking at it.

No you can't. You can get a decidedly wrong impression, just like by using measurements.