Saw a new Accord sedan in the flesh

Started by sportyaccordy, September 27, 2007, 04:30:46 PM

heelntoe

....and that's not called "d0riftu," it's called loss of grip. drifts are usually power induced.
@heelntoe

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 02, 2007, 01:13:40 PM
That's right. I skid on purpose in slick conditions. ;)

By what stepping on the e-brake?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on October 02, 2007, 02:07:47 PM
By what stepping on the e-brake?

My car DOES have enough power to give wheelspin doing anywhere under 40-45km/h. Plus, when I fling the wheel from side to side in the wet, what else is going to happen? Is the car going to spit sunshine and lollipops through the tailpipe?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 02, 2007, 02:10:59 PM
My car DOES have enough power to give wheelspin doing anywhere under 40-45km/h. Plus, when I fling the wheel from side to side in the wet, what else is going to happen? Is the car going to spit sunshine and lollipops through the tailpipe?

It will understeer.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 02, 2007, 02:10:59 PM

understeer, n00b  :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid

There's plenty of that, but it still skids and drifts enough to make me keekle, n00bs.

JYODER240

please post a video of these "skids" and "drifts".

heelntoe

@heelntoe

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on October 02, 2007, 02:15:42 PM
please post a video of these "skids" and "drifts".

I'll get my camera tomorrow and do it on my break.

Vinsanity

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raghavan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 02, 2007, 02:17:02 PM
I'll get my camera tomorrow and do it on my break.
You'll probably make a "I crashed my Trep :cry:" thread instead.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 01, 2007, 10:28:45 PM
There's a large conservative Jewish population in a town very near me. Many of them drive Saabs or Cadillacs and won't have anything even remotely German in their houses.

Even that though seems to be fading, and Volkswagens have been steadily creeping in among the younger residents.

I have friends that are the same way.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on October 02, 2007, 05:12:36 PM
You'll probably make a "I crashed my Trep :cry:" thread instead.

I'm thinking more along the lines of I'll do the video either on Monday (long weekend holiday) if it rains, or I'll wait till winter when a friend can come with me and work the camera.

FordSVT

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 02, 2007, 05:24:01 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of I'll do the video either on Monday (long weekend holiday) if it rains, or I'll wait till winter when a friend can come with me and work the camera.

OK, before this goes any further, I know what you're talking about, Trep, I do it quite often myself. I think we're all just parsing words here.

A car is drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle, and the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction to the turn and the driver is controlling these factors. I don't believe there really is any stipulation that it must be "power induced", and fwd racers will sometimes use their e-brake to get the back end to come loose in a slow, tight corner which will get them pointed in the appropriate direction a bit quicker. So you know what? If Trep wants to call what he does a "drift", let him.

However, Trep, don't confuse the little show tricks we can do in the wintertime or on a really slick surface with "drifting". Try doing the same thing on pavement and you'll put your car in the ditch. Rwd or awd, power-controlled drifting is what "real" drifting is about. You simply can't keep your momentum long enough in an e-brake controlled drift, even on a slick surface, long enough to make it usable in a real life situation. Two problems: the drive wheels are being used to steer the car, and you're braking the car.

It's a bit like claiming you're a poker player when you've played two games and can barely remember the hands. Sure, you're technicallya poker player, but I wouldn't go around bragging about it.

heelntoe

Quote from: FordSVT on October 03, 2007, 06:49:08 AM
OK, before this goes any further, I know what you're talking about, Trep, I do it quite often myself. I think we're all just parsing words here.

A car is drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle, and the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction to the turn and the driver is controlling these factors. I don't believe there really is any stipulation that it must be "power induced", and fwd racers will sometimes use their e-brake to get the back end to come loose in a slow, tight corner which will get them pointed in the appropriate direction a bit quicker. So you know what? If Trep wants to call what he does a "drift", let him.

However, Trep, don't confuse the little show tricks we can do in the wintertime or on a really slick surface with "drifting". Try doing the same thing on pavement and you'll put your car in the ditch. Rwd or awd, power-controlled drifting is what "real" drifting is about. You simply can't keep your momentum long enough in an e-brake controlled drift, even on a slick surface, long enough to make it usable in a real life situation. Two problems: the drive wheels are being used to steer the car, and you're braking the car.

It's a bit like claiming you're a poker player when you've played two games and can barely remember the hands. Sure, you're technicallya poker player, but I wouldn't go around bragging about it.
the thing with FWD "drifts" is that when you step on the gas, the car just goes where the front wheels are pointing, so it can lead to some sticky situations.
i was riding with a friend once when he pulled a hand brake slide around a corner and turned the steering the other was(opposite lock) and before he had a chance to straighten the wheel, the car went the other way straight into a wall.
@heelntoe

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: omicron on October 01, 2007, 08:10:09 AM
Says Wiki:

'In 1994, the Honda Accord was moved to a yet larger "CD" chassis, primarily to better suit the requirements of the North American market. It grew in width but oddly shrunk in length, leaving it classified as a compact car in North America. It thus became too wide to fit within the favorable tax bracket in Japan, where its role was to be partially taken over by the smaller second-generation Honda Ascot and Honda Rafaga.

The launch of the CD Accord also marked the first time Honda marketed a Europe-only Accord model, made in its Swindon factory in the United Kingdom. The European Accord sedan was, however, not related directly to the CD Accords, but rather to the previous CB Accord, as it was a slightly reworked version of the above mentioned Honda Ascot Innova. The Swindon-built Accord sedan was accompanied in European markets by the coupe and Aerodeck estate imported from the US. Concurrently, the British Rover Group, Honda's partner at that time, launched a model called Rover 600, which was developed together with the European Accord sedan.'

This is the Ascot Innova; a JDM-only sedan based on the fourth-generation Accord, and released in Europe with some styling changes as their fifth-generation Accord:

We had that exact same car here, it was the generation before the one you posted earlier.