New VW Cabrio Spied!

Started by BMWDave, June 30, 2005, 06:55:01 AM

BMWDave

Link with Lots of Pictures

Remember the Concept C?

2006 VW Cabrio Spy Photos
by Brian Potter
edited 06-30-2005

The last VW Cabrio which was built on the third generation (1993 -1999) Golf platform was essentially replaced in spirit by the New Beetle Cabriolet in 2002.  Aimed at filling the void, VW put forward a design study called the VW concept C unveiled at Geneva Motor Show in March 2004.  As a result of positive feedback from industry and the general public VW announced two months later the "green light" for the concept C as a combined coupe and convertible 4-seater with an innovative folding steel roof.  By comparing these first spy photo images against the concept C, it is safe to say the production VW Cabrio will not inherit the same aggressive body lines and dimensions but VW alludes that the integrated glass sliding sunroof within the folding metal roof system is a strong possibility for production thus giving it a unique market position.  Model lineup positioning of the 2006 VW Cabrio falls between the Golf and the Passat and will be unveiled in Frankfurt this September with the European market launch in first quarter 2006.  Expect to see the full range of VW engines including the new 280hp 3.6L VR6 to be included later in the life cycle.  The 2006 VW Cabrio will be manufactured at Volkswagen Autoeuropa - Autom?veis Lda. factory in Portugal.  According to VW/Audi of America Executive Vice President Len Hunt, pricing should be around $30,000 depending on euro/dollar exchange rates.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

crv16

If only the production version looked as good as the photoshop.  Look at the two miles of front overhang   :(  
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

BMWDave

Crv-what photoshop do you mean?

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteCrv-what photoshop do you mean?
I would assume that he means the second pic is photoshopped.

I guess this will be bigger than the Beetle Cabroliet?  

BMWDave

QuoteCrv-what photoshop do you mean?
I would assume that he means the second pic is photoshopped.

I guess this will be bigger than the Beetle Cabroliet?
Oh, I see what he meant now.  I thought he was talking about the first picture I posted, the Concept C.  So I wanted to clarify.  And I think it will be bigger than the Beetle for sure.  this looks to be about the size of an A4 cabriolet.

2007 Honda S2000

CaseyNPham

Well, considering the car is at an angle, the front overhang should only be about 3/4 or 2/3 of what it looks like. But it's still quite a bit.

And how the heck did the price just raise 10 thousand dollars? I think Volkswagen has gone mad. The price should increase slowly f they wanna start becoming an upmarket brand.
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

280Z Turbo

The wheels look too small.

280Z Turbo

QuoteAnd how the heck did the price just raise 10 thousand dollars? I think Volkswagen has gone mad. The price should increase slowly f they wanna start becoming an upmarket brand.
They're trying to compete with their rival, Audi. ;)  :rolleyes:  

giant_mtb

All I have to say is that they carried (by the looks of it) almost absolutely nothing over from the concept to this production-concept...  <_<  

TBR

QuoteAll I have to say is that they carried (by the looks of it) almost absolutely nothing over from the concept to this production-concept...  <_<
Yeah, now it looks chubby, just like the Jetta and Passat.  

Raza

If the roadster doesn't disappoint, I might buy Volkswagen again.  But the R32 only sold for one year, the new Passat doesn't impress, the Phaeton isn't my type of car, and you're not going to trick me into being the only man who has ever bought a VW Cabrio  with this car.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteIf the roadster doesn't disappoint, I might buy Volkswagen again.  But the R32 only sold for one year, the new Passat doesn't impress, the Phaeton isn't my type of car, and you're not going to trick me into being the only man who has ever bought a VW Cabrio  with this car.
I don't know why the even bothered to bring the R32 over if they were just going to sell it for one year.  

BMWDave

QuoteAll I have to say is that they carried (by the looks of it) almost absolutely nothing over from the concept to this production-concept...  <_<
Certainly not a good thing....the success of the concept was based on its svelte looks and overall handsome appearance.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteAll I have to say is that they carried (by the looks of it) almost absolutely nothing over from the concept to this production-concept...  <_<
Certainly not a good thing....the success of the concept was based on its svelte looks and overall handsome appearance.
svelte looks and an overall handsome appearance have been the reasons for the success of the VWs of the last 10 years, but those days are now over :(.  

BMWDave

QuoteAll I have to say is that they carried (by the looks of it) almost absolutely nothing over from the concept to this production-concept...? <_<
svelte looks and an overall handsome appearance have been the reasons for the success of the VWs of the last 10 years, but those days are now over :(.
sadly, you are correct  :(  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...rticleId=106349

Volkswagen Preparing for Debut of Concept C
By: Phil Lienert

Date Posted 07-07-2005

Volkswagen has already confirmed that it will build a production version of the Concept C that debuted at the 2004 Geneva Motor Show. Shown here still in the prototype stage, this unique hardtop convertible will go on sale in the U.S. next May.

The Concept C's name reflects its dual functionality as both a coupe and cabrio. Volkswagen plans on integrating the vehicle into its lineup as both an upscale coupe, priced ahead of the Passat, and as a fancier successor to the defunct VW Cabriolet.

The black tape on the front of this test mule makes it hard to tell whether or not the Volkswagen Concept C will use the show car's large aluminum grille, which was quite a departure for the company. The concept's innovative electro-hydraulic hardtop, visible in these photos, has clearly been carried over, though.

More than any other feature, this folding-steel roof grants the VW Concept C its ability to double as both a coupe and convertible. The roof features an integrated sunroof which can tilt just like an ordinary vehicle's skylight. When the top is up, the Concept C could be easily mistaken for a bona fide coupe.

There is more to the coupe side of the Concept C's persona than its appearance though. With a width of more than 71 inches, the concept was wider and sturdier than both the Mercedes-Benz CLK convertible and the Audi A4 Cabriolet and is said to be more agile than either of these vehicles.

The Concept C's coupe-like qualities will be further highlighted by the vehicle's 14 cubic feet of trunk space, which is generous by the standards of the CLK and A4, which respectively feature maximum cargo capacities of only 9 feet and 10 feet. Even when the Concept C's convertible top is stowed in the trunk, the vehicle still musters at least 7 cubic feet of space.

While the concept version of the Concept C featured a 150-horsepower gasoline-direct-injection 2.0-liter four-cylinder under its hood, U.S. models are expected to get the same 280-hp 3.6-liter VR6 engine that will be offered in the top of the line Passat.

Standard safety features will be similar to the New Beetle Convertible, although rollover protection may be part of the package as well.

Expect to see the Volkswagen Concept C appear next spring with a new name and a price tag in the low to mid $30k-range.

2007 Honda S2000

thewizard16

The engine and hardtop seem nice, maybe even for the price, so I hope they carry a nice interior through to it as well.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BMWDave

QuoteThe engine and hardtop seem nice, maybe even for the price, so I hope they carry a nice interior through to it as well.
Knowing VW, I'm sure the interior will be nice :)

2007 Honda S2000

thewizard16

QuoteThe engine and hardtop seem nice, maybe even for the price, so I hope they carry a nice interior through to it as well.
You've obviously never been in some of their European models.  :blink: Low level admittedly, but much less than impressive (even for the class) none-the-less. They do normally do some beautiful, at least in style, interiors in the US, though.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BMWDave

You've obviously never been in some of their European models.  :blink: Low level admittedly, but much less than impressive (even for the class) none-the-less. They do normally do some beautiful, at least in style, interiors in the US, though.
I am talking about in the US...thats where this vehicle is headed, and based on the fact that almost every VW interior is class leading, I can safely assume that this one will be as well.

2007 Honda S2000

thewizard16

I am talking about in the US...thats where this vehicle is headed, and based on the fact that almost every VW interior is class leading, I can safely assume that this one will be as well.
Class leading is an interesting term. I don't find them to always be class leading in quality, but they normally do a very good job on design/layout.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

BMWDave

Class leading is an interesting term. I don't find them to always be class leading in quality, but they normally do a very good job on design/layout.

I happen to think that that is one of the nicest SUV interiors, if not the nicest.  And I dont agree with you on the quality part, as (to me at least) VW interiors have always seemed outstanding with regard to quality.

But I think we both agree that the layout, irrespective of the quality issue, is usually the best of any car in its class.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I consider VWs to have class leading interiors in both design and quality. The Passat's is particularly nice.  

ifcar

Design? I'll agree for their high-end vehicles (Touareg and Phaeton), but the current Passat is very bland inside IMO, especially with the gray plastic trim, as is the current Golf and the previous Jetta. The new Jetta's is less bland, but still not "class-leading" interior design, especially if you put it in a class above the standard compacts (as I do).