BMW V Series Spy Photos!

Started by BMWDave, June 30, 2005, 06:59:40 AM

BMWDave

BMW V Series Spy Photos

RFK (Room functional concept)
Known by BMW's development team as "Space Travel" the RFK is BMW's interpretation of what a space functional concept vehicle should be.  The RFK is also a first step in BMW defining new niches with unique products that take the next step as BMW designers attempt to shape the future. Extending the design language and exploring all avenues and possibilities for future products BMW now focuses its appeal to the individual customer.

Capitalizing off the success of existing new models BMW continues this process of developing a portfolio of unique "mobile communication statements" where design does the talking.  In addition to groundbreaking technology this portfolio group signifies a key element for BMW's long term strategy.  The RFK is seen as a niche product contributing to the broadening of this new portfolio.  Knowing this we can now understand that the BMW X Coupe Concept was not just a styling exercise. This concept still has an agenda.  In the future BMW will offer unique vehicles in each class as they differentiate themselves from the competition.

According to a BMW source, "The RFK will be a sleek fastback coupe-like vehicle although it will not be as spacious or plain as the R-Klasse (which is aimed at the US).  The RFK will appeal to the continental European. It will drive like a car, handle like a car and have the same weight distribution as a car".

As of now the RFK will feature a petrol twin-turbo engine from the forthcoming 335i, a twin-turbo diesel from 535d, a new twin-turbo V8 petrol with 450 bhp and a V8 diesel with 380 bhp.  A Hydrogen powered no-emission vehicle will also follow later as will probably a V12.  Dynamic Drive will enter its next phase which will include a new axle design developed especially for excellent driving characteristics in such a vehicle.  

BMW intends to release two RFK's in intervals each based on different size platforms.  Seen here in the photos looking more like a WWII German tank is the first engineering prototype test mule using the 7 Series platform.  The second RFK will use an extended 5 Series Touring platform.  Along with full integration of iDrive apart from major functions the RFK will also spearhead iDrive functions that will download into the ignition key from home or office terminals so all settings are stored for each driver of the car. This includes vehicle settings, seat position, routes, drive preparation and music. The RFK built-in technology will also signal the forthcoming 7 Series in 2008.  Also undecided is the exact nomenclature for the RFK but it has been quietly referred to as the V Series (i.e. X5, Z4) with emphasis on "versatility".

While other manufacturers are looking at super wagons BMW calculates this would be commercial suicide.  BMW will unveil the RFK as a concept at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September as they want to show that they are not developing a "van".  The car should be ready for launch in 2008.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

BMWDave

QuoteIt looks pretty long.
its going to be a sort of crossover, wagon, type of car.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

"As of now the RFK will feature a petrol twin-turbo engine from the forthcoming 335i"

I guess the twin turbo engine is still a go.

The rendering looks very good, except for the headlights of course. The actual picture is another story ;) :lol:

BMWDave

Quote"As of now the RFK will feature a petrol twin-turbo engine from the forthcoming 335i"

The rendering looks very good, except for the headlights of course. The actual picture is another story ;) :lol:
I thought it was an army vehicle at first :lol:

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Quote"As of now the RFK will feature a petrol twin-turbo engine from the forthcoming 335i"

Me too, I don't know how they got anything from the pic except that it is a BMW.  

BMWDave

Me too, I don't know how they got anything from the pic except that it is a BMW.
Yea, and whats up with those wheels?

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

looks like wheels for a rail truck.

BMWDave

Quotelooks like wheels for a rail truck.
yup.  In fact, if I didnt see the lights on this car, I would have absolutely no idea what the hell this was.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

The only good thing I heard is that there's going to be a twin turbo 335i!  Guess Bimmer's finally embracing FI again.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteThe only good thing I heard is that there's going to be a twin turbo 335i!  Guess Bimmer's finally embracing FI again.
Well they have sequential turbos, so it gets rid of some of the problems of forced induction turbo (mainly lag).

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

Quotelooks like wheels for a rail truck.
yup.  In fact, if I didnt see the lights on this car, I would have absolutely no idea what the hell this was.
You could have been really mean and used it as your next gtcc.

Fire It Up

Theres an article about a BMW crossover sedan thing in this issue of R&T that I have, want me to type it?  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

Fire It Up

Crossover Coupe
It apeeats BMW is responding to Merceds-Benz's R Class Crossover and CLS 4 door coupe with a chopped top crossover graced with a coupe like sloping roofline as well as a more upright 5 door version featuring rear suicide doors. However, neither will see a showroom until at least 2008.
The second generation X5 based SAC (Sport Activity Coupe) is suppposed to be part sports car, coupe, and off-roader, kind of a Mercedes CLS with a raised ground clearance and AWD. It will be a dedicated 4 seater, noy a 2+2. The awd system will be biased toward rear drive for a proper sports car feel, and height adjustable air suspension is probable. Engines will include a 3.0L six, 4.0 and 4.8 liter V8s, and possibly an M version with the M5's 5.0L V10.
BMW is also working on a high roof crossover known as the SFC (Space Functional Crossover) which is more conventional in shape than the SAC, and will use underpinnings from the 5,6, and 6 Series cars. Much of BMW's R&D is focused on lowering the cars center of gravity to make sure it retains the legendary BMW roadholding ability. Rear will drive will be standard, with AWD optional. Except the typical arrat og 6-and 8-Cylinder engines.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

I think that is a different from the V-series (I believe the V-series will be a R-class competitor).

280Z Turbo

I want the top one! That would be awesome!

It sounds like just another crossover.

CaseyNPham

QuoteI want the top one! That would be awesome!

It sounds like just another crossover.
Freak...

The top one isn't as sleek as the other one!
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

Raghavan

the top one looks like a matchbox toy.