Fastest you've ever been on four wheels

Started by footoflead, June 30, 2005, 11:08:52 AM

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

SJ_GTI

Fastest I have been was 125 mph in my previous car, a BMW Z3. It was "rev limited" because I was in the top gear and at redline. Power felt like I could still accelerate, but I didn't want to blow the engine.

I have been up to ~110mph (180kph) in my A4, but only once late at night. There just isn't the room to drive up here like there was in South Jersey, nor are the roads here in as good shape.

thewizard16

A Suburban- 90 and it was scary.
A Honda Jazz in Germany- 195 km/h  (121.17 mph)
The old Camry (XLE V6)- 122mph (I don't know how fast it's supposed to be able to go. That much surprised me.)
Newer Camry- 90 or so, and that was getting around a semi on the interstate that was being a jackass. Never had any opportunity or reason to go faster
Bicycle- 15-18mph or so.  :D  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Me and my friend Chris busted the 48 mark the other day on our bikes.  He got an odometer/speedometer/whatever else and so we wanted to test 'er out.  Went to the biggest hill we could find...(by our ski hill...obviously) and went down.  48.5 MPH on our mountain bikes.  Quite the rush...especially when we were passing cars around the corner it goes around (the speed limit around the corner's 45).  :praise:  :praise:  :lol:  :rockon:  

thewizard16

QuoteMe and my friend Chris busted the 48 mark the other day on our bikes.  He got an odometer/speedometer/whatever else and so we wanted to test 'er out.  Went to the biggest hill we could find...(by our ski hill...obviously) and went down.  48.5 MPH on our mountain bikes.  Quite the rush...especially when we were passing cars around the corner it goes around (the speed limit around the corner's 45).  :praise:  :praise:  :lol:  :rockon:
Sounds downright frightening.  :o  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Fire It Up

QuoteA Suburban- 90 and it was scary.
A Honda Jazz in Germany- 195 km/h  (121.17 mph)
The old Camry (XLE V6)- 122mph (I don't know how fast it's supposed to be able to go. That much surprised me.)
Newer Camry- 90 or so, and that was getting around a semi on the interstate that was being a jackass. Never had any opportunity or reason to go faster
Bicycle- 15-18mph or so.  :D
Thats it?

giant_mtb

QuoteMe and my friend Chris busted the 48 mark the other day on our bikes.  He got an odometer/speedometer/whatever else and so we wanted to test 'er out.  Went to the biggest hill we could find...(by our ski hill...obviously) and went down.  48.5 MPH on our mountain bikes.  Quite the rush...especially when we were passing cars around the corner it goes around (the speed limit around the corner's 45).  :praise:  :praise:  :lol:  :rockon:
Sounds downright frightening.  :o
It was pretty scary, but it was more of a rush of adrenaline than fear.  The feeling of speed overtakes the feeling of fear at that point on a bike, and it's freakin' awesome.

thewizard16

A Honda Jazz in Germany- 195 km/h  (121.17 mph)
Bicycle- 15-18mph or so.  :D
Thats it?
I don't know. I've never clocked myself on a bicycle. It didn't feel all that fast. Most of the biking I've done is Mountain Biking though... not racing style.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

giant_mtb

Thats it?
I don't know. I've never clocked myself on a bicycle. It didn't feel all that fast. Most of the biking I've done is Mountain Biking though... not racing style.
You can easily reach 20 MPH on some trails on a mountain bike, especially downhill singletrack...you'd be surprised.  

thewizard16

A Honda Jazz in Germany- 195 km/h? (121.17 mph)
Bicycle- 15-18mph or so.? :D
Thats it?
You can easily reach 20 MPH on some trails on a mountain bike, especially downhill singletrack...you'd be surprised.
Then maybe I've been faster than I think.  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

giant_mtb

Thats it?
Then maybe I've been faster than I think.
I'm sure you have been...

RS200

In my 5.0 I've done probably 130+ MPH with about 2500-3000 RPM left in high gear. I'll top 'er out one day, probably around 150.  :praise:  A couple of days ago I did about 112 in a '91 240SX with 1500 RPM left in 4th.

giant_mtb

QuoteIn my 5.0 I've done probably 130+ MPH with about 2500-3000 RPM left in high gear. I'll top 'er out one day, probably around 150.  :praise:  A couple of days ago I did about 112 in a '91 240SX with 1500 RPM left in 4th.
Nice.  5.0's are awesome!  :praise:  :rockon:  

footoflead

QuoteIn my 5.0 I've done probably 130+ MPH with about 2500-3000 RPM left in high gear. I'll top 'er out one day, probably around 150.  :praise:  A couple of days ago I did about 112 in a '91 240SX with 1500 RPM left in 4th.
Nice.  5.0's are awesome!  :praise:  :rockon:
:praise: My bros got an '89 5.0....nicknamed "THE BEAST"(he used to have a clutch in it that was really hard to push in...that and the cars is crazy fast...thus the name the beast) :praise:

To bad the dont put the 5.0's in the reg. V8 moosestang's

I know a guy that put a 5.0 engine in his RX7 :D  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BMWDave

QuoteIn my 5.0 I've done probably 130+ MPH with about 2500-3000 RPM left in high gear. I'll top 'er out one day, probably around 150.  :praise:  A couple of days ago I did about 112 in a '91 240SX with 1500 RPM left in 4th.
Wow, pretty nice...I didnt know 5.0s went that fast.  Very cool B)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BartsSVO

Back in the day one of the car mags reported the top speed of a 5.0L LX to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 145 mph.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

footoflead

QuoteBack in the day one of the car mags reported the top speed of a 5.0L LX to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 145 mph.
That sounds about right ....my bros best guess on the top speed of his mustang was in that neighborhood....its hard to tell when the speedo is pointing straite down and the odometer..

If you cant tell the speedo is  center right

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

RS200

In October of 1986, Road & Track did a comparo between the 1987 IROC-Z with a 350, automatic and 3.23:1 gears vs. a 1987 Mustang GT hatch with a manual and 3.08:1 gears. The cars were basically dead even, but the Camaro reached 149.20 mph on a proving ground, whereas the Mustang did 148.10. The Ford engineer told the driver to keep the Mustang in 4th, because the car didn't have the power to wind out the tall overdrive. About 100 yards from the speed reader, the Mustang blew its' engine from going 5900 RPM too long, and that would have put it north of 150 mph. I have put a better gear in my car, so theoretically I should be able to hit the same speed, or maybe better. One person on StangNet has done over 145 on a highway, and the person driving behind him said the bumper was ready to fall off.

footoflead

QuoteIn October of 1986, Road & Track did a comparo between the 1987 IROC-Z with a 350, automatic and 3.23:1 gears vs. a 1987 Mustang GT hatch with a manual and 3.08:1 gears. The cars were basically dead even, but the Camaro reached 149.20 mph on a proving ground, whereas the Mustang did 148.10. The Ford engineer told the driver to keep the Mustang in 4th, because the car didn't have the power to wind out the tall overdrive. About 100 yards from the speed reader, the Mustang blew its' engine from going 5900 RPM too long, and that would have put it north of 150 mph. I have put a better gear in my car, so theoretically I should be able to hit the same speed, or maybe better. One person on StangNet has done over 145 on a highway, and the person driving behind him said the bumper was ready to fall off.
:blink: sounds like he should've had an overdrive gear that the car could pull....

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Fire It Up

QuoteIn October of 1986, Road & Track did a comparo between the 1987 IROC-Z with a 350, automatic and 3.23:1 gears vs. a 1987 Mustang GT hatch with a manual and 3.08:1 gears. The cars were basically dead even, but the Camaro reached 149.20 mph on a proving ground, whereas the Mustang did 148.10. The Ford engineer told the driver to keep the Mustang in 4th, because the car didn't have the power to wind out the tall overdrive. About 100 yards from the speed reader, the Mustang blew its' engine from going 5900 RPM too long, and that would have put it north of 150 mph. I have put a better gear in my car, so theoretically I should be able to hit the same speed, or maybe better. One person on StangNet has done over 145 on a highway, and the person driving behind him said the bumper was ready to fall off.
thats what duct tape is for.  

ragnacor1234

About 122 mph in a base Volvo S60 on I-95 in MA.  I would have kept going but I was redlining pretty badly so I decided to stop before my engine blew out.

footoflead

QuoteAbout 122 mph in a base Volvo S60 on I-95 in MA.  I would have kept going but I was redlining pretty badly so I decided to stop before my engine blew out.
Not blowing your engine was probably a smart idea...

Welcome to CarSPIN :)  B)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Colonel Cadillac

The base S60 can only go about 120? According to the owner's manual for my 850, it can go up to 141.

giant_mtb

Me and my friend went 38 down a city street the other day on our mountain bikes...we were passing cars through the intersection...I felt like a guy on a crotch rocket.  :lol:  :lol:  

Mr. Breeze

Fastest for me was 126 or so in a V-50 T5. It's governed to 130 but I had to slow down for a curve (and an upset wife  ^_^ ).

Well now they call me the breeze,
'Cause I keep blowing down the road.
[/size]

TBR

QuoteFastest for me was 126 or so in a V-50 T5. It's governed to 130 but I had to slow down for a curve (and an upset wife  ^_^ ).
How are you liking the V50?

JYODER240

I have hit 139 in my accord.

This is kinda off-topic but how fast do you think Lance Armstrong hits on his bike?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

QuoteI have hit 139 in my accord.

This is kinda off-topic but how fast do you think Lance Armstrong hits on his bike?
I've personally clocked him at 249.  He also raced an Enzo 0-60 and beat it!  He lost 2 out of 3 to the fighter jet though.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

QuoteI have hit 139 in my accord.

And where did you safely do that?