Canadian Truck Challenge

Started by SVT666, October 04, 2007, 09:51:02 AM

SVT666

Special Report: 2008 Canadian Truck King Challenge: 23 pick-up trucks vie for top spot
Story and photos by Grant Yoxon 

Norland, Ontario - The 2008 Canadian Truck King Challenge took place last week at Head Lake in the Kawartha area of Ontario. Five manufacturers entered a total of 23 trucks in this year's competition.

Trucks from Dodge, Ford, General Motors, Nissan and Toyota competed in a variety of on-road and off-road tests. Evaluation and scoring was conducted by Canadian auto journalists including CanadianDriver's Managing Editor, Grant Yoxon, and Assistant Editor, Jil McIntosh.

Trucks competing to be named the 2008 Canadian Truck King were classified into seven categories and included:

Mid-size under V6
2008 GMC Canyon SLE Crew Cab 4WD, 3.7-litre I-5
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4X3 Access Cab, 2.7-litre 4-cylinder

Mid-size V6 and over
2008 Dodge Dakota SXT Extended Cab, 4.7-litre V8
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 4.0-litre V6

1/2 ton V8 under 5-litre
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 SXT Quad Cab, 4.7-litre V8
2007 Toyota Tundra 4X4 double Cab SR5, 4.7-litre V8 

1/2 ton over 5-litre
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4WD, 5.3-litre V8
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4WD, Vortec 6.0-litre V8
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT mega Cab, 5.7-litre Hemi V8
2008 Ford F150 4X4 SuperCrew, 5.4-litre V8
2008 Nissan Titan King Cab Pro-4X, 5.6-litre V8
2008 Nissan Titan Crew Cab LE, 5.6-litre V8
2007 Toyota Tundra 4X4 Double Cab SR5 standard bed, 5.7-litre V8
2007 Toyota Tundra 4X4 Double Cab SR5 long bed (5th wheel), 5.7-litre V8

3/4 ton
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab, 6.7-litre Cummins Turbo Diesel
2008 Ford F250 FX4 SuperCab, 6.8-litre V10 (gas)
2008 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Crew Cab, 6.6-litre Duramax V8 (diesel)

One ton
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Crew Cab, 6.6-litre Duramax V8 (diesel)
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab, 6.7-litre Cummins turbo Diesel
2008 Ford F350 Lariat King Ranch CrewCab, 6.4-litre PowerStroke Turbo Diesel
2008 Ford F450 Lariat King Ranch CrewCab, 6.4-litre PowerStroke Turbo Diesel

Work truck
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab 2WD, 4.8-litre V8
2007 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 4X2, 4.7-litre V8

The trucks were put through a variety of subjective tests. Judges drove the trucks unloaded on a 20-kilometre route, including gravel roads, rough paved roads and highways, to become familiar with the ride quality, performance, interior layout and controls of each truck. The trucks were then loaded with approximately 700 lbs (317 kg) of weight and driven over a 15-kilometre loop. Larger trucks also towed a variety of trailer loads. All trucks under one ton and equipped with four-wheel drive completed a challenging off-road course. One-ton trucks completed a shortened version of the off-road course to accommodate their size and to simulate work site conditions. The judges also closely examined each truck to identify and rate the utility of each vehicle. Utility included comfort and convenience features, storage, bed utility and security. Judges were also asked to rate each vehicle on safety, innovation and its ability to meet market expectations. Finally, judges were asked to consider exterior and interior design and styling and rate each vehicle according to their emotional appeal.

Acceleration and braking tests were also conducted on each truck. Final points for each truck in the competition will include compensation for price and fuel consumption. Lower price and lower fuel consumption add points while higher price and higher fuel consumption deduct points.

Once all the points have been added up (or deducted!) and an overall winner has been determined, CanadianDriver will have complete coverage of the 2008 Canadian Truck King Challenge, including our own assessment of the trucks we drove.

I will post the results as soon as Canadian Driver posts them.  In the meantime I will post photos of the test.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

SVT666

This is the only pickup truck comparison test that I even take seriously because car mags don't know what they're doing when it comes to trucks.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 04, 2007, 10:30:56 AM
This is the only pickup truck comparison test that I even take seriously because car mags don't know what they're doing when it comes to trucks.

They know what they're doing when it comes to the wants/needs of some truck buyers, and the truck-focused magazines know what they're doing for the wants/needs of other truck buyers.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on October 04, 2007, 10:38:32 AM
They know what they're doing when it comes to the wants/needs of some truck buyers, and the truck-focused magazines know what they're doing for the wants/needs of other truck buyers.
This test compares trucks doing what they are built to do: Hauling, towing, and off-roading.  Car mag comparo tests are good for people who would use their truck for driving to and from work and nothing else. :nutty:  As for truck mags, it depends.  Truck Trend stinks.  Besides that mag I don't know of any others that aren't strictly off-road focused.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 04, 2007, 10:43:45 AM
This test compares trucks doing what they are built to do: Hauling, towing, and off-roading.  Car mag comparo tests are good for people who would use their truck for driving to and from work and nothing else. :nutty: 

They all have a minimum capability that is higher than most people will ever need.

sandertheshark

Wow.  I thought Tundras looked awkward on the road.

Soup DeVille

The chevy's showing decent articulation for a bone stock truck.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sandertheshark

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 04, 2007, 05:25:34 PM
The chevy's showing decent articulation for a bone stock truck.

Holy suspension travel batman!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on October 04, 2007, 10:38:32 AM

Most either focus nearly exclusively on-road or off-road on trucks. Very few seem to know what a serious sportsman/outdoorsman who uses his truck for recreational reasons wants.

This one seems to be pretty spot-on.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: sandertheshark on October 04, 2007, 05:27:24 PM

Holy suspension travel batman!
Every full size pickup I've ever owned has articulation like that.  It's nothing new to me. :huh:

omicron

I'd love to go along and help test all these trucks. Of course, there is the risk I'd disappear left when everyone else went right, and they'd never see their Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4WD Vortec 6.0-litre V8 ever again.....

GoCougs

Brampton, Ontario - The Toyota Tundra has been named the overall winner of the 2008 Canadian Truck King Challenge, an independent test of 23 trucks organized by Powersports Media Service. The award marks the second time Toyota has taken the top spot; the Toyota Tacoma won in the inaugural Challenge in 2007.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/071019-1.htm

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Onslaught

The Tundra is the one I'd buy. If they could improve the looks of it then I'd like it more. But to tell you the truth I don't like the looks of any full size trucks offered now. So looks wouldn't be much of a factor in my buying.

SVT666

2008 Canadian Truck King Challenge

Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 crowned 2008 Canadian Truck King
Over three days, eight judges drove 23 new trucks more than 4,400 kilometres in a combined total of 200 hours of testing to determine the winner of the 2008 Canadian Truck King Challenge. And the results are in: the Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 is the Canadian Truck King for 2008.

SVT666

October 2007

Canadian Truck King Challenge:
Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 crowned 2008 Canadian Truck King
By Grant Yoxon

Over three days at the end of September, eight judges drove 23 new trucks more than 4,400 kilometres in a combined total of 200 hours of testing to determine the winner of the 2008 Canadian Truck King Challenge.

And the results are in: the Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 is the Canadian Truck King for 2008.

CanadianDriver sent two members of its staff to rate the trucks - Managing Editor Grant Yoxon and Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh. It was a lot of driving, towing, hauling and packing, but it was also a lot of fun. The CanadianDriver team drove every truck, and assessed points for each vehicle based on a variety of objective and subjective criteria (see side bar). To find out what it really means to be a judge at an event like this, read Jil's article, "Judging the Truck King Challenge".

The contenders for the 2008 crown were selected and entered by the manufacturers. All vehicle manufacturers with trucks in their line-up were invited to attend, and were asked to supply trucks at their discretion. Not all manufacturers responded. If you're wondering why certain trucks are missing from the list, it's because manufacturers chose not to enter them; the manufacturers decided which engine sizes, body configurations and options or option packages they entered.

The Truck King Challenge is an independent event, produced by TruckKing Media Group and is not sanctioned or sponsored by vehicle manufacturers. As with many independent tests, however, manufacturers do pay a fee to enter and the fee is the same for all.

The 23 trucks were divided into seven categories and a winner was determined for each category. All tested vehicles were 2008 models with the exception of the Toyota Tundras and the Toyota Tacoma 4X4, all of which were 2007 models.

The categories and winners in this year's competition were:

Midsize under V6: Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4x2
Midsize V6 and over: Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Sport + Towing
Half-Ton under 5.0-litre: Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 SR5
Half-Ton over 5.0-litre: Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4
Three-Quarter Ton: GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 SLT
One-Ton: Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 LTZ
Work Truck: GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab 4x2

We've provided our assessment of all the vehicles in each class. Please see the links at the bottom of this article. But please note that our opinion is our opinion and does not necessarily represent the opinions of the other judges, or of the final results of the competition.

Such is the nature of a competition that includes both subjective and objective criteria. What one judge rates highly may not impress another, but the combined scores of eight judges reveal the best of an excellent group - the all new 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5.

Powered by Toyota's new 5.7-litre V8 engine, with 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque, the Tundra Double Cab proved to be a versatile truck. In our opinion it was the best truck in its class for towing and hauling, with strong, smooth acceleration, a comfortable loaded ride and confident steering. It also got our approval for safety with standard front and rear head side curtain air bags and an excellent electronic stability control system that kept the truck on the road in conditions that had some of the competitors going sideways.

Off-road the Tundra was less capable than the Dodge Ram 1500 (our choice in the over 5.0-litre class for off road ability), but we appreciated the Tundra's tight turning circle where room to manoevre was limited. The Tundra's dash is a good looking piece, but controls are harder to reach and less intuitive than those of the new GM full-size trucks.

In an ideal world we'd take the Tundra's on road drivability, loaded and unloaded, and its great fuel economy, the interior and controls of the GMC Sierra, the roominess and off-road prowess of the Dodge 1500 Mega Cab and the down shifting superiority of an Allison transmission. But alas no truck has it all. When all the score sheets were added up, and fuel consumption, price, braking and acceleration factored in, the Toyota Tundra came out on top. The majority rules and for 2008, the 5.7-litre Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4 rules as Canadian Truck King.

SVT666

So it looks like Toyota builds a good truck.

Raghavan

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 25, 2007, 01:01:35 PM
So it looks like Toyota builds a good truck.
So I guess if C/D or someone else said that, you'd think that it's BS and that they should stick to reviewing cars, but if your beloved Canadian Driver POS magazine decides it's the best, you'll accept it? :rolleyes:

:devil:

SVT666

Read the article.  It's not Canadian Driver that does the test.  One of their editors takes part, but it's an independent test.  Besides, the tests these guys put the trucks through are proper tests for trucks.  C&D does slalom tests, 0-60 mph, and then takes them on some sand dunes.  Their testing procedures basically tells you which is the better "street" truck.

FlatBlackCaddy

Toyota sweeps the half-ton and under class, its only a matter of time(and more half-ton sales) until they decide to move up to 3/4 and 1 tons.