Edmunds First Drive: 2009 Audi A4

Started by SJ_GTI, October 04, 2007, 12:37:15 PM

SJ_GTI

Link: First Drive: Audi A4

$1 Billion Time Machine
By Andreas Stahl, Contributor Email
Date posted: 10-03-2007

The 2009 Audi A4 has to turn back time, take us back to a moment when this German sedan was timely rather than just timeless.

Things move quickly in this particular segment of the market, and the A4 is now feeling the pinch of time some six years after its introduction. Its styling has an enduring appeal, but it is no longer at the forefront of automotive design, while the interior lacks many of the gadgets that buyers now expect. Quality remains a key strength for the A4, but its dynamics are now also embarrassed by newer versions of the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

But with the unveiling of the 2009 Audi A4 at the Frankfurt auto show, the executives in Ingolstadt, Germany, believe the A4 sedan is once again back in the reckoning. Although the new car isn't likely to go on sale in North America until next May, we traveled to the Italian island of Sardinia to drive the 2009 Audi A4.

A New Look
From the outset, it is clear that pictures are a poor indicator of the new A4's styling, making it appear similar to the model it replaces from certain angles and remarkably close to the new A5. But to call it derivative is to do it an injustice.

The austere Bauhaus-inspired lines of the former A4 remain, but tauter surfacing and edgy detailing give the new car a fresh, new appeal. The 2009 Audi A4 also looks expensive, with taut shut lines and neat details like LED running lights. The seriously sexy S-Line styling package adds optional 19-inch wheels, different new bumpers, a more aggressive-looking grille and a unique range of colors.

Bigger Is Better
Nowhere is Audi's effort to match the German luxury-car competition more clearly evident than in the A4's shift in size. At 161.5 inches in length and 71.9 inches in width, it has become larger and more respectable by 4.6 inches and 2.2 inches, respectively. Its overall height of 56.1 inches is fractionally lower than before by 0.2 inch.

The eighth-generation Audi A4 also rides on a wheelbase that has increased 6.6 inches in length to 110.6 inches, just 1.5 inches shorter than the wheelbase of the larger and more expensive A6 (itself due to be revised extensively next year).

Looks Big but Steers Small
While the previous model eventually blossomed into a car of true desirability for keen drivers, this new one manages to up the ante again with newfound levels of response, body control and fluency. Audi Drive Select, which allows the driver to choose between comfort and sport modes, makes a big contribution here.

The newfound response begins with the steering, which features a rack that is now mounted low in the front of the engine bay close to the front wheels, providing more direct steering action. The steering wheel goes from lock to lock in just 2.2 turns, so it responds to inputs quickly and relays information back from the blacktop with added clarity.

The narrow roads of Sardinia are a test even for rally cars, so it was surprising to discover that the A4 turns in briskly, and the steering wheel loads up with cornering effort progressively, with a nice linear feel away from dead center. It all helps inspire real driver confidence. The front-wheel-drive version of the A4 also proves free of any corruptive torque steer.

It all comes from the A4's first truly new platform since 1995. The new platform is called MLP, denoting a modular longitudinal platform. First used by the A5, the new platform shifts the engine 5.9 inches rearward. This has been achieved by mounting the differential forward of the gearbox, allowing the center line of the front wheels to be relocated closer to the nose. More balanced weight distribution means there's less mass leading the A4 through the corners by the nose.

Further changes include a new all-wheel-drive system that splits torque 40 percent front/60 percent rear, delivering driving dynamics more like a rear-wheel-drive car that even includes a little tail happiness.

Down the Road
There's nothing but steel in the new 2009 Audi A4, yet there's still a useful 10 percent reduction in the weight of the unit body. This 3.2-liter V6 with all-wheel drive weighed in at 3,483 pounds, 88.2 pounds more than before. The base-model A4 with its turbocharged four-cylinder engine weighs 3,109 pounds, 44 pounds more than its predecessor.

Extra rigidity within the body shell also provides the new A4 with the basis for improved body control. Over all types of roads, there is an inherent tautness to the way the new A4 handles. Characteristically firm damping helps suppress squat and dive, while body movements are kept well in check.

Sadly, though, the ride remains a weak link. The A4 fidgets and fails to settle in the same efficient manner as the 3 Series or C-Class on less-than-smooth roads, and the tires have a tendency to kick back quite markedly. Note to prospective buyers: The optional 18-inch wheels might look great, but the low-profile tires produce a marked increase in tire noise. The standard 17-inch tires are probably what you want if you're looking for a ride that lives up to your ideal of a fine sedan.

Payoff From the Power?
North American buyers will get to choose between two gasoline engines when the A4 goes on sale here next spring. Kicking off proceedings will be a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder. It's based on Audi's new EA888 power plant and will feature Audi's latest direct fuel injection and variable valve timing/lift systems.

Not to be confused with the existing EA113 designated turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder found in various Audi models, the new engine is claimed to provide similar power and torque outputs to the unit it replaces, so expect around 200 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque with as yet unspecified improvements in fuel consumption and tailpipe emissions.

Most of us will be considering the 265-hp, 3.2-liter V6 with its standard six-speed automatic transmission. It propels the new A4 with competitive if not startling levels of performance. The delivery is extraordinarily smooth and linear all the way to the 7,000-rpm redline thanks to the combined effects of direct injection and Audi's new valve lift system that operates in a much more efficient manner than before. But since peak torque doesn't arrive until 3,000 rpm, the V6 has to be worked fairly hard before you feel you have tapped into its reserves with any great effect.

The engine's smoothness is deceptive, though, because the new A4 3.2 Quattro's acceleration time to 100 kph (62 mph) of 6.2 seconds makes it almost as fast as the BMW 330i (6.1 seconds). Top speed is limited to 155 mph. By way of comparison, the outgoing A4 3.2 Quattro gets to 60 mph in 6.4 seconds. Still, we can't help but wonder how much more alluring the new car would be with the S5's 4.2-liter V8, which pumps out 350 hp, something worth waiting for.

An Interior That Sets the Class Standard
In creating the interior, Audi has not overlooked what was arguably one of the outgoing A4's key selling points ? supreme quality that makes more expensive cars look cheap by comparison. Few interiors (including the 3 Series and C-Class) seem as well conceived and constructed.

The detailing is highly impressive, especially the controls for Audi's optional MMI (Multi Media Interface), which has a wide range of functions, including the satellite navigation and sound system. The A4 also is available with an optional 505-watt Bang & Olufsen audio arrangement that feeds 10 channels of sound through no fewer than 14 speakers.

Despite growing in every vital dimension, the A4's high shoulder line and high dashboard provide it with a cosseting feel from the driver seat that reinforces the sporting aura. At the same time, it gains added seat and steering wheel adjustment, allowing you to tailor the driving position perfectly. The high-mounted brake pedal that made the old A4 such a chore to drive at times has been replaced by a more sensibly positioned pedal that no longer requires you to set your foot at such an extreme angle.

Accommodation in the rear ? for so long one of the A4's biggest weaknesses ? has been significantly improved by the new car's longer wheelbase and more efficient packaging of the rear seat, with knee room increasing by 1.4 inches. The rear doors are larger, too.

Measuring Greatness
Rupert Stadler, Audi's chairman, promises us that the company is embracing dynamics and performance as its core values. No doubt we'll all be talking about the A4 for months to come as we discuss whether the new car lives up to this promise.

Audi has spent three years and $1 billion to reinvent the platform of the 2009 Audi A4. We're not yet sure whether it will lift Audi to new heights in its market segment, but we certainly came away from our drive in Sardinia looking forward to a real opportunity to measure its goodness.

The A4's 3.2-liter V6 might lack serious punch, but the car's handling is a revelation. Thanks to those new underpinnings, it has taken a big step forward in overall dynamic competence. Nearly every element of its on-road repertoire has been transformed or substantially improved.

Pics:

Not digging the 4-spoke steering wheel, but I love everything else.

If it comes to the US with the 2.0T, a 6-speed manual, and Quattro it will be very difficult not to buy one.

The Pirate

I love this car as well.  My sugar mama better come sweep me off my feet soon, as my salary isn't going to pay for one of these.

:lol:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ifcar

Whenever a new model comes out, the old one is unfairly criticized.

"Its dynamics are now also embarrassed by newer versions of the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class."

Please. :rolleyes:

Champ

Looks better than the previous model but still not my cup of tea.

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

red_shift

Hm, looks like Audi is hitting all my right buttons but the comment about the ride quality is quite surprising to see.
Only 3100 odd pounds for the base model? That is positively feather weight compared to the other stalwarts it has to run with, even with it's added AWD.
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

Raza

3100 is probably for the FWD model, but that's still pretty good.  Although, considering how much power Seat has in the Leon Cupra, the AWD Audi should be able to get nearly that much, even if it is a longitudinal setup. 

With the fucking power race, companies are going to struggle to keep up with what is technically a more than adequate engine.  Mercedes made a bad choice by not bumping the power on the V6 in the C350.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

saxonyron

Very nice!  I don't know what I'm going to do now, since my lease is up in Feb '08.  Take the bus for 3 months till the new model arrives?  Hmmmm.  Maybe Audi will be spinning some serious deals on the '08 A4's in Feb, since it's an outgoing model.  I heard that at least they were throwing in the S-Line option on all quattros, although I don't know if that's real or not.  That might minimize the bummer of not getting the '09. I'll be visiting my dealer in a few weeks for a look around.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raghavan

Man, RWD instead of FWD would be great on that car... They'd still be able to keep Quattro for all the buyers who want it and they could make use of that better balance with RWD.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on October 04, 2007, 03:50:22 PM
3100 is probably for the FWD model, but that's still pretty good.  Although, considering how much power Seat has in the Leon Cupra, the AWD Audi should be able to get nearly that much, even if it is a longitudinal setup. 

With the fucking power race, companies are going to struggle to keep up with what is technically a more than adequate engine.  Mercedes made a bad choice by not bumping the power on the V6 in the C350.
I don't see why they should feel they have to keep up. 272HP is a buttload of power; there was a time not long ago MB's flagship didn't make that much power, with damn near twice the displacement...

Not to mention, the MB looks phenomenal.

In any case, this is shaping up to be a pretty nice whip; lighter than a 2WD Bimmer in quattro trim, and close in size. Not to mention, it's better looking in sedan form as well (although both the A5 and E92 are aesthetic disappointments IMO, and I've seen them both up close). If the dynamics are truly on point (article sounds more like a press release than an honest review), if for whatever reason I couldn't get a G35, I'd get the pick of the bunch, the 2.0 quattro, and some aftermarket goodies...

JYODER240

Quote from: saxonyron on October 04, 2007, 05:01:09 PM
Very nice!  I don't know what I'm going to do now, since my lease is up in Feb '08.  Take the bus for 3 months till the new model arrives?  Hmmmm.  Maybe Audi will be spinning some serious deals on the '08 A4's in Feb, since it's an outgoing model.  I heard that at least they were throwing in the S-Line option on all quattros, although I don't know if that's real or not.  That might minimize the bummer of not getting the '09. I'll be visiting my dealer in a few weeks for a look around.

Just step up and go for the A5
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

cawimmer430

Lexus IS PWNS this thing anyday because it is RWD and made by Lexus.  :rolleyes:

Sweet car. Love the looks of the new Audi A4. It's like an A5 with four doors. Hotness. Look at the Spotted Today section and check out my A5 pics.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

I'm a fan... although i wish it didn't grow in physical size from the last generation
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

"The engine's smoothness is deceptive, though, because the new A4 3.2 Quattro's acceleration time to 100 kph (62 mph) of 6.2 seconds makes it almost as fast as the BMW 330i (6.1 seconds). Top speed is limited to 155 mph. By way of comparison, the outgoing A4 3.2 Quattro gets to 60 mph in 6.4 seconds. Still, we can't help but wonder how much more alluring the new car would be with the S5's 4.2-liter V8, which pumps out 350 hp, something worth waiting for."

That's rather odd,  why are they comparing it to a competitor that is no longer being sold here? Still I think Audi always goes too conservative with their cars.

TheIntrepid

So the HIGHER end 3.2 is slower than a V6 Camry? Damn. :nono:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 05, 2007, 07:56:21 AM
So the HIGHER end 3.2 is slower than a V6 Camry? Damn. :nono:

So the Camry is a one hit wonder.  Big deal.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: The Pirate on October 05, 2007, 08:07:41 AM

So the Camry is a one hit wonder.  Big deal.

I wasn't trying to troll for Camry; just using an example to query why the hell a $40k Audi supposed "sport sedan" is that slow. :huh:

FlatBlackCaddy

I skimmed and didn't see the 2.0T output listed. Though i'm sure its nowhere that i expect it to be at.

I see the V-6 is making 265HP, thats good output. The problem seems to be that they keep the 2.0T down so not to take away v6 sales. The result is pretty subpar performance(straight line) compared to the competition.

I'd like to see the return of a 2.7TT type of v6 option. That way a more powerful 2.0T could be unleashed and the N/A V6 would still get a few sales from people who like the smoother powerband of a larger motor with no turbos.

A base 2.0T of 200HP for FWD/AWD
A 2.0T with 250-270HP for a AWD only "S line"
A 3.2 with its 265HP for FWD/AWD
A 3.2 based TT or higher strung NA version with 300-320HP for AWD.

This will give you the low price options of the 200hp 4 in fwd/awd, also the V6 would pull all the FWD sales in the 250hp range if they limit the HO 2.0 to AWD only.

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 05, 2007, 08:11:45 AM
I wasn't trying to troll for Camry; just using an example to query why the hell a $40k Audi supposed "sport sedan" is that slow. :huh:

That's not slow.

Champ

Why do you always talk about the Camry's 0-60 when it's not relavent at all?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 565 on October 05, 2007, 07:41:48 AM
"The engine's smoothness is deceptive, though, because the new A4 3.2 Quattro's acceleration time to 100 kph (62 mph) of 6.2 seconds makes it almost as fast as the BMW 330i (6.1 seconds). Top speed is limited to 155 mph. By way of comparison, the outgoing A4 3.2 Quattro gets to 60 mph in 6.4 seconds. Still, we can't help but wonder how much more alluring the new car would be with the S5's 4.2-liter V8, which pumps out 350 hp, something worth waiting for."

That's rather odd,  why are they comparing it to a competitor that is no longer being sold here? Still I think Audi always goes too conservative with their cars.

The 330i is still sold in other markets (Europe), which is where the bulk of A4 sales will be as well.

In the US, the A4 3.2 is priced alongside the 328i when comparing similar equipment levels. The A4 2.0T competed with the now defunct 325i (but was still cheaper). Audi doesn't really have a 335i fighter. The S4/5 sort of compete, but its priced right in the middle of the 335i and M3.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 05, 2007, 09:25:26 AM
I skimmed and didn't see the 2.0T output listed. Though i'm sure its nowhere that i expect it to be at.

I've seen other forums with rumours that the A4 will be getting a revised version of the 2.0T. It won't be the 230 HP special edition engine though, just a more frugal/flexible version of the 200 HP engine.

omicron

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 05, 2007, 09:25:26 AM

I see the V-6 is making 265HP, thats good output. The problem seems to be that they keep the 2.0T down so not to take away v6 sales. The result is pretty subpar performance(straight line) compared to the competition.

Like Subaru with the 3.0R and GT-B, priced relatively close to each other.

red_shift

Quote from: Raghavan on October 04, 2007, 05:07:33 PM
Man, RWD instead of FWD would be great on that car... They'd still be able to keep Quattro for all the buyers who want it and they could make use of that better balance with RWD.

Differentiation, Raghu. Audi is doing the right thing by maintaining it's position, even while pushing the limits of it's FWD/AWD platform. If it were to go RWD, it would be just another BMW or Benz, only with less mass appeal than either. Brand perception is very important to a luxury carmaker.

Future is electric

TheIntrepid

Quote from: red_shift on October 05, 2007, 11:08:19 AM
Differentiation, Raghu. Audi is doing the right thing by maintaining it's position, even while pushing the limits of it's FWD/AWD platform. If it were to go RWD, it would be just another BMW or Benz, only with less mass appeal than either. Brand perception is very important to a luxury carmaker.

LOL at you calling him Raghu as well. :cheers:

the Teuton

Quote from: omicron on October 05, 2007, 10:12:33 AM
Like Subaru with the 3.0R and GT-B, priced relatively close to each other.

The character of the engines are completely different, though.  One is a screamer and the other is sure-footed with enough torque.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

red_shift

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 05, 2007, 11:30:19 AM
LOL at you calling him Raghu as well. :cheers:

He reminds me of my little cousin by the same name.
Future is electric

Colonel Cadillac

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't see the big deal with treps post, if he wasn't a camry whore(no offense) everyone would see the point.

I don't think this thing should be a balls to the wall sports car, but god damn it should atleast be able to be better than mid pack in its faster form(save me any reference to the actual S4).

A V6 A4 should be able to slip under 6.0 to sixty, thats all i'm saying. I don't care if a camry is still faster than it by a few tenths. When 25-30K sedans and coupes(fwd) from mainstream automakers are faster than your top of the line A4 then there is a problem. Not a huge problem but certainly something i would remedy.

AltinD

Camry might be faster 0 - 60, but what about 0 - 100? What about the most important of all (in daily driving): 50 - 60?

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD