THE EDITORS OF AUTOWEEK
Published Date: 6/27/05
DATE IN FLEET: May 31-June 14
AS-TESTED PRICE: $100,770
POWERTRAIN: 5.5-liter supercharged V8; 4wd, five-speed automatic
OUTPUT: 469 hp @ 6100 rpm, 516 lb-ft @ 2650-4500 rpm
CURB WEIGHT: 5590 lbs
FUEL MILAGE (AW OBSERVED): 12.0 mpg

MANDEL: I couldn?t get away from this vehicle; it attached itself to me like a mechanical remora. Okay, that?s not entirely fair; it sucked my teenage boys into its emotional vortex like a big hip-hop cyclone. It?s loud and it rumbles, it?s total gangsta sinister. And it?s a silly vehicle that yet makes all kinds of statements about what is luxury and what we like.

I have seen the production line on which this vehicle begins life, at the Steyr-Daimler-Puch facility in Austria. I think of the other versions that are hand-built alongside this homage to excess: the passenger pickup trucks used to transport workers into the depths of African diamond mines; the almost flat-blue utes used by the Austrian police; the ones converted for paramedic use.

Then there?s Big G. Man, those Austrian line workers must really think America is the land of plenty.

MORRISON: A G55 test drive is the closest most of us will ever come to feeling like an NBA all-star or platinum-selling rapper. LeBron?s H2? The Game?s Bentley? Fuhgedaboutit. As Lil? Troy says, ballers and shot-callers roll with the AMG kit. Don?t know who Lil? Troy is? Not sure what he means by ?baller?? Then just stay away from this ride, as it will be wasted on you. Disagree? Tell me, then, exactly what you can do with a German army truck that accelerates like a Porsche?

As far as I can see, Mercedes? biggest mistake with this vehicle is the lack of 24-inch spinners as standard; you know most of the G55s that reach our shores will end up sporting them anyway.

HART: I?m in favor of wretched excess as much as the other guy, but this thing is over the top. Morrison?s gushing reference to the NBA is condemning evidence, along with a sticker price topping $100 Gs.

I love AMG and the way it massages V8s; this thing is flat-out stupid-fast. But no one should be able to drive a refrigerator as fast as this thing will go. I?m not sure what terminal velocity is, but I don?t want to go there. Thankfully, my common sense seems to be increasing a bit with age.

And for this price, the inside doesn?t deliver. It?s still filled with all the old M-B interior bits and pieces. But if you spend this kind of coin, you can afford to have someone dress up the interior for you, I guess

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

"And for this price, the inside doesn?t deliver. It?s still filled with all the old M-B interior bits and pieces."

The writer doesn't seem to realize that that is a good thing.

R33 GT-R

The G class is bad ass, they could never change the styling and it'll never get old.  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

giant_mtb

Wonderful.  Now the hip-hop gangstas and their "g wagons" can go fast, too.  :rolleyes:  

R33 GT-R

They don't move that fast weighing as much as they do.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

BMWDave

QuoteThey don't move that fast weighing as much as they do.
Yup.  I believe a G Wagon gets to 60 in about upper six low sevens.  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Does this have the NA 5.5l as seen in the original E55 or the Kompressor 5.5l as seen in the current E55?

BMWDave

QuoteDoes this have the NA 5.5l as seen in the original E55 or the Kompressor 5.5l as seen in the current E55?
It now has the original engine...this one has 469 hp, not 493 hp.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteDoes this have the NA 5.5l as seen in the original E55 or the Kompressor 5.5l as seen in the current E55?
The original engine only had 350hp or something, in fact I believe it was the same engine as the C55/SLK55 currently have. So, the G55 currently does have the Kompressor variant?  

BMWDave

The original engine only had 350hp or something, in fact I believe it was the same engine as the C55/SLK55 currently have. So, the G55 currently does have the Kompressor variant?
The original engine had 349 hp.  The first G55 AMG had 347 hp, and I guess the new G55 has upgraded to the kompressor variant.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

The original engine had 349 hp.  The first G55 AMG had 347 hp, and I guess the new G55 has upgraded to the kompressor variant.
Okay, thanks for clarifying :)  

BMWDave

Okay, thanks for clarifying :)
No problem :)

2007 Honda S2000