This kind of sucks

Started by Vinsanity, October 08, 2007, 04:23:37 PM

thewizard16

That's unfortunate, but more importantly, good to hear you're okay. I'd be very sure there are no neck related injuries before I start letting insurance work on the case too much. Depending on the other driver's insurance, you might not have issues, but these companies do exist to make money and are more often than not going to gloss things over unless you're lucky enough to have a reputable agent to work with. I had a great experience with State Farm (as a victim, haha), and it was obvious they were taking steps not to be sued and offered to pay for things I didn't need, so I declined a lot of their offers, but in a situation like this where there's a potential for long-term injury, I'd get a solid medical opinion, doctor and chiropractor, and consider legal action. It may not be necessary, but it's something to consider.

Also, I'm surprised the airbag did not deploy. Many cars airbags do deploy in rear end collisions, but as Soup said, they go generally contribute to additional injuries in rear end collisions, and I've heard a lot of companies had changed how their system works. I do know the airbags in at least the 2000 Camry (and definitely the 92) go off when rear ended, it states so directly in the manual. Might check your manual. However, where your car was pushed forward with enough force that it smashed the front of your car that badly into the back of another vehicle, I'm kindof surprised the front sensors didn't override it and deploy anyway. I'm not knowledgeable in how Acura programs their computers to work with situations like that, but it seems like it'd have to make a decision on whether or not to deploy, and it seems especially unusual that the passenger airbag deployed and the driver's didn't, since I'm assuming a car that nice should have a passenger seat sensor. Honestly, I'd probably call someone at Acura and ask what's up, if for nothing else than gaining knowledge about how it works. If it was a defect, maybe they'll try to make you happy by giving you a discount on a new car or something. :lol:
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 08, 2007, 06:47:09 PM
5. Trep: OMG I got a word to say about this Camry. Actually I have several words. Thanks for reminding me. I will post a driving impression.

DO IT NOW. I shall relate.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

QuoteI'd be very sure there are no neck related injuries before I start letting insurance work on the case too much. Depending on the other driver's insurance, you might not have issues, but these companies do exist to make money and are more often than not going to gloss things over unless you're lucky enough to have a reputable agent to work with. I had a great experience with State Farm (as a victim, haha), and it was obvious they were taking steps not to be sued and offered to pay for things I didn't need, so I declined a lot of their offers, but in a situation like this where there's a potential for long-term injury, I'd get a solid medical opinion, doctor and chiropractor, and consider legal action. It may not be necessary, but it's something to consider.

Good things to keep in mind. tomorrow will be an interesting day. I'm going to the doctor to get looked at again, and I'm going to the CHP office to get a copy of the police report. Depending on what treatment the doc prescribes, I'm going to give the other driver's insurance a call to see what's what.

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 08, 2007, 06:52:44 PM
DO IT NOW. I shall relate.

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=11538.0

Raza

Time for the silver lining. 

Let's get you a new car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on October 08, 2007, 07:20:17 PM
Time for the silver lining. 

Let's get you a new car.

Or I could just get an S80 so you guys could make a thread with 5 pages full of comical non-sequiturs :nutty:

Raghavan

TheIntrepid

I drove a G35x last week too.

It kicked ass.

Get a G35.

thewizard16

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 08, 2007, 07:39:23 PM

Or I could just get an S80 so you guys could make a thread with 5 pages full of comical non-sequiturs :nutty:
Do that. That always goes well.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on October 08, 2007, 05:42:41 PM
Was there something in your trunk?

That's good you came out OK. It potentially could have been worse.

the most valuable contents in my trunk are about 10 cans of a 12-pack of 7-Up.

Ture, it could have been worse. Excursions are big, but not as big as moving vans.

CJ

Get another TL.  If I had just gotten a new car and gotten into an accident of that severity, I'd damn well buy another one.  GET A TL TYPE-S!!

JYODER240

Think of this as Gods way of telling you that you shouldn't have got rid of the S2000 :devil: :lol:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

deesea

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 08, 2007, 06:47:09 PM
1. I guess I'll never know whether or not I'm better off without the driver airbag; maybe the body shop will have something to say about it

2. 1-series is an interesting thought; but it's not on BMW's website yet...why hasn't it come out by now???

3. A4 is an interesting choice because it's an IIHS top pick. Good excuse for me to get a convertible :rockon:

4. My cousin's girlfriend works for an attorney who sometimes does personal injury cases. Right now she's having me keep a daily journal of my pain, and keeping track of my expenses, etc.

5. Trep: OMG I got a word to say about this Camry. Actually I have several words. Thanks for reminding me. I will post a driving impression.

HURT IN A CAR!? CALL WILLIAM MATTAR! :lol:
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

TheIntrepid

The Pirate

Quote from: deesea on October 08, 2007, 08:43:41 PM
HURT IN A CAR!? CALL WILLIAM MATTAR! :lol:

Holy crap, you guys get those ads up in Canada too?!  That was all I'd see when I lived in that area (hour south of Buffalo).  That guy has the craziest butt chin ever!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: The Pirate on October 08, 2007, 08:48:22 PM

Holy crap, you guys get those ads up in Canada too?!  That was all I'd see when I lived in that area (hour south of Buffalo).  That guy has the craziest butt chin ever!

Vinsanity

Quote from: CJ on October 08, 2007, 08:35:19 PM
Get another TL.  If I had just gotten a new car and gotten into an accident of that severity, I'd damn well buy another one.  GET A TL TYPE-S!!

I thought about that, too. Airbag debate aside, the TL served me pretty well in a major car crash. To be completely honest, I'll end up getting what I can get the best deal on. So that most likely means no Type-S. Especially considering if I were to drop more than $30k on the car, I would not compromise by getting FWD.

Onslaught

Allstate isn't the ones covering this are they? They tried to make me fix a new Camry hit just like this a few weeks ago using a front and rear clip. It didn't happen.

Sorry about your new car by the way. Shit like that suck.

BimmerM3

Quote from: The Pirate on October 08, 2007, 08:48:22 PM

Down south we have Attorney Ken Nugent. Interestingly enough, I've seen a Nugent Auto Sales in Rome, GA. Talk about investing in your future.  :tounge:

BTW, has anyone else ever noticed that in the code for the :tounge: smilie, "tongue" is spelled incorrectly? It's spelled "tounge."

SVT_Power

Quote from: BimmerM3 on October 08, 2007, 11:03:53 PM
Down south we have Attorney Ken Nugent. Interestingly enough, I've seen a Nugent Auto Sales in Rome, GA. Talk about investing in your future.  :tounge:

BTW, has anyone else ever noticed that in the code for the :tounge: smilie, "tongue" is spelled incorrectly? It's spelled "tounge."

yeah i noticed that one before
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

the Teuton

This shows you why new cars are absolutely worth it in crash protection.  I'm sorry you had to go through such pain and destruction, but you're alive and well.  You had your seatbelt on, too, right?

My brother got in an accident when his E21 was broadsided by an MB a few years ago.  He wasn't hurt too much and his car stood up well considering the front end was killed, but he didn't wear his seatbelt and much of his forehead was lodged in the windshield and he broke the steering wheel, also breaking his arm.  His now wife broke her leg.  Moral of the story:  Seatbelts save lives and protect from severe injury.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

Quote from: Onslaught on October 08, 2007, 09:45:33 PM
Allstate isn't the ones covering this are they? They tried to make me fix a new Camry hit just like this a few weeks ago using a front and rear clip. It didn't happen.

Sorry about your new car by the way. Shit like that suck.

right now I'm dealing with my own insurance company, which is Mercury. I think they give you an option to cash out (less your deductible) if you don't want your car fixed. I have yet to get the other driver's insurance info from the police report (CHP office was closed for the holiday today)

besides, looking at how f'ed up the rear passenger-side area looks, I don't see how grafing on a new rear clip would be possible.

CALL_911

I say go for either a 3er, G35 or S60R.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT_Power

talking about which, i haven't seen a E21 in a longggg time
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

the Teuton

Quote from: M_power on October 08, 2007, 11:14:28 PM

After that, he bought a Merkur XR4ti. 

Vin, I'd go for an S60 at this point, if I were you.  Safety would be a must in my book after something like that.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: M_power on October 08, 2007, 11:14:28 PM

Neither have I.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on October 08, 2007, 11:12:36 PM
This shows you why new cars are absolutely worth it in crash protection.  I'm sorry you had to go through such pain and destruction, but you're alive and well.  You had your seatbelt on, too, right?

My brother got in an accident when his E21 was broadsided by an MB a few years ago.  He wasn't hurt too much and his car stood up well considering the front end was killed, but he didn't wear his seatbelt and much of his forehead was lodged in the windshield and he broke the steering wheel, also breaking his arm.  His now wife broke her leg.  Moral of the story:  Seatbelts save lives and protect from severe injury.

yup, seat belt was on nice and tight. yeah, it caused the nasty bruise on my arm, but I would hate to see what would have happened if I didn't wear it.

matter of fact, it's become such a strong habit with me that not wearing a seat belt just feels very wrong to me.

SVT_Power

I'd consider a S60R just for those seats

the Teuton

He actually had two E21s:  a 1980 and a 1978.  I wish I had one right now.

Vinsanity

well after perusing through autotrader, it looks like G35's have the lowest mileage for my price range, but I'm definitely liking the idea of a Volvo for my next car. They seriously do have the best seats my ass has had the pleasure of test-sitting. Heck, they'd have me sold at the phrase "whiplash protection" :ohyeah: