This kind of sucks

Started by Vinsanity, October 08, 2007, 04:23:37 PM

Vinsanity

Ok so Friday afternoon on the way home from work, I run into some traffic as usual, having to slow down from ~70 mph to zero. Pretty involving routine, but somewhat ordinary. I make a complete stop behind a 2003-06 Expedition and wait. Roughly 10-15 seconds later, I catch a glimpse of a Ford Excursion barreling towards me in my rear view mirror. I don't think I had enough time for my brain to deliver the thoughts "oh shit" to my mouth before it happened:

Which then caused this:

And to complete the "perfect storm" of rear-end collisions, a crucial safety device decides not to play its role:

Cops arrived on the scene pretty quickly, and paramedics arrived soon after to take me to the ER. Luckily, no spinal injuries, but getting out of bed makes my neck hurt, and I have a random, nasty-looking bruise on my upper arm (I have a pic of that too, but I'll spare you guys). I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow and getting a copy of the police report. When I decide to get back to work, look for another "what car should I get" thread. That's what occupied my mind while I waited at the hospital, and to be honest, my mind is still stuck on Volvo.

I'm still dealing with insurance, so I don't know how much more I can say, but here are more pics:

I haven't even had the car for 3 months yet., but good thing this didn't happen with the s2000.

CALL_911

I like how the transmission's still in D.

Good to hear you're okay. Was it a soccer mom? Anyway, maybe you should take the airbag thing up with Honda?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

BTW, German cars are safe. An Audi or a BMW would do well.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raghavan

Holy crap!
That's f-ing scary! Thankfully you're alright.
Maybe you should take this opportunity to get a G35. :devil:

CALL_911

Quote from: Raghavan on October 08, 2007, 04:29:33 PM
Holy crap!
That's f-ing scary! Thankfully you're alright.
Maybe you should take this opportunity to get a G35. :devil:

Yeah, that too.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Vinsanity

1. I don't know why I posted this in the Fast Lane. Maybe because that's the lane I was in when this happened on the freeway.

2. The driver of the Excursion was an older man; to be fair, he did try to be helpful.

3. My brother has a G35 sedan; and knows that I've always wanted a coupe. I might go for one if I find a good deal.

Soup DeVille

The air bag will not fire if you're first rear-ended: if it does it can actually increase your chance of injury.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Vinsanity

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 08, 2007, 04:39:26 PM
The air bag will not fire if you're first rear-ended: if it does it can actually increase your chance of injury.

Interesting. Everyone I talked to (paramedic, insurance people) seemed surprised that the driver airbag didn't deploy. Something to do with additional whiplash? I did get a small bruise on my scalp right where my hairline begins from hitting my forehead on the steering wheel.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT_Power

ouch that sucks dude. Practically a new car! That's what you get for ditching the S2K :devil:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BMWDave

Oh man! :(  Sorry to hear about this!  Glad to hear you're all right, and hopefully, insurance will take care of this and give you a nice sum. 

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

r0tor

yikes... at least a car is replaceable unlike most body parts or lives
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 08, 2007, 04:44:25 PM
Interesting. Everyone I talked to (paramedic, insurance people) seemed surprised that the driver airbag didn't deploy. Something to do with additional whiplash? I did get a small bruise on my scalp right where my hairline begins from hitting my forehead on the steering wheel.

Something like that yes. I'm not sure of exactly what the concern is, but basically airbags only work when the vehicle is in forward motion and for frontal impacts. I'm somewhat surprised that none of the people who deal with auto accidents professionally knew this.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 08, 2007, 04:57:36 PM
Something like that yes. I'm not sure of exactly what the concern is, but basically airbags only work when the vehicle is in forward motion and for frontal impacts. I'm somewhat surprised that none of the people who deal with auto accidents professionally knew this.

If that's the case, why did the passenger's side bag deploy?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

pommes-t

Oh, I am sorry for you! I hope you won't have to suffer under your injuries for a longer time.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on October 08, 2007, 05:02:02 PM
If that's the case, why did the passenger's side bag deploy?

I don't know. Passenger bags tend to be dual-stage more often than driver's bags.

Perhaps it deployed at the low speed threshold.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 08, 2007, 04:44:25 PM
I did get a small bruise on my scalp right where my hairline begins from hitting my forehead on the steering wheel.
Beats having the airbag explode in your face.

Tough brake, Vince.

AKL

Glad to here you're fine.

At least you came out without any serious injuries.

It is very odd that the passenger airbag deployed, but the driver airbag didn't. Who knows, maybe you would have been better off without it  :huh: It may have exploded in your face giving you serious injuries.
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

Eye of the Tiger

Sounds like time for a 135i
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Was there something in your trunk?

That's good you came out OK. It potentially could have been worse.

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 08, 2007, 04:39:26 PM

The passenger side did, though...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 08, 2007, 04:34:12 PM

2. The driver of the Excursion was an older man; to be fair, he did try to be helpful.

I would be helpful too, if I just had rear ended someone and it was CLEARLY my fault...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

deesea

well, at least you're okay. Thats the important part. Sucks that your car got totaled though.

I think an A4 would be nice :evildude:

so..what car did you hit after the Ford hit you?
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

Soup DeVille

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 08, 2007, 06:03:50 PM
Yes, a Ford Expedition.

:nono: EXCURSION.

Anyway, sorry to hear, Vinsanity. On the bright side, you get to drive around a Barcelona Red 2007 Camry LE until you figure out what to do with your car!!! :rockon:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Nice man.  Glad you're okay.  Now you can get something good!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: deesea on October 08, 2007, 05:59:04 PM

so..what car did you hit after the Ford hit you?

2003-2006 Expedition

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 08, 2007, 06:18:57 PM
2003-2006 Expedition

It was like a giant Ford SUV sandwich.

You are lucky you made it out alive.

GoCougs

Vinsanity

1. I guess I'll never know whether or not I'm better off without the driver airbag; maybe the body shop will have something to say about it

2. 1-series is an interesting thought; but it's not on BMW's website yet...why hasn't it come out by now???

3. A4 is an interesting choice because it's an IIHS top pick. Good excuse for me to get a convertible :rockon:

4. My cousin's girlfriend works for an attorney who sometimes does personal injury cases. Right now she's having me keep a daily journal of my pain, and keeping track of my expenses, etc.

5. Trep: OMG I got a word to say about this Camry. Actually I have several words. Thanks for reminding me. I will post a driving impression.