Spy Shots: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Started by BMWDave, June 30, 2005, 08:57:59 PM

BMWDave

Link with Lots of Pictures

Spy Shots: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Date Posted 06-30-2005

It won't officially debut until September, but we have the best pictures yet of the 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo. Caught for the first time undergoing road testing in the U.S., our spy photos reveal a 911 Turbo with a new set of slim intercooler intakes that look as though they'll make their way to the production model.

The roughness of this prototype's bodywork indicates that many of the details are still hidden, but look past the obvious disguise and the car's major hard points are well defined. The wider tail section not only blends with the new intakes, it also makes way for what will probably be a set of 19-inch wheels wrapped with tires in the 315/30 range.

When it does debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September, the 2007 911 Turbo is expected to use the larger 3.8-liter flat six found in the current Carrera. With the extra displacement the new Turbo may push into the 460-480-horsepower range with a corresponding increase in torque. Like the current Turbo the next-generation model will come standard with a six-speed manual, but a DSG-type transmission is said to be in the works.

Despite all of these changes, the 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo will not weigh substantially more than the current version, which goes a long way to pushing the vehicle's top speed past the 191-mph mark. Like the latest Z06 Corvette, the 911 Turbo is expected to accelerate from zero to 60 in less than 4 seconds. Some rivalries never get old.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Wow, the spy pics are really helpful. From them we can tell that it is a regular 997 991 with fatter fenders, never would have guessed.  :rolleyes:  

280Z Turbo

I've always thought the regular 911 looked better.

The other models tend to look, dare I say, tacky? A 911 looks best without the big flares or vents or wings.

How much power can they get out of that relatively small flat 6?

BMWDave

QuoteI've always thought the regular 911 looked better.

The other models tend to look, dare I say, tacky? A 911 looks best without the big flares or vents or wings.

How much power can they get out of that relatively small flat 6?
The GT2 makes 477 hp at the moment, and the next version will have over 520 hp.

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

The 911 is my absolute dream car.  I can't get enough of them. :D  

BMWDave

QuoteThe 911 is my absolute dream car.  I can't get enough of them. :D
Do you see them often in New England?

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteThe 911 is my absolute dream car.  I can't get enough of them. :D
Completely agree, the perfect everyday sports car imho (that is like the 50th time I have said it too).

BMWDave

QuoteThe 911 is my absolute dream car.  I can't get enough of them. :D
Completely agree, the perfect everyday sports car imho (that is like the 50th time I have said it too).
I love 911s, but for my dream car I would opt for the Carrera GT.  Not your everyday car, but a much more enjoyable one nonetheless.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I love 911s, but for my dream car I would opt for the Carrera GT.  Not your everyday car, but a much more enjoyable one nonetheless.
Not me, I would take a F40 over the Carrera GT if I wanted an impractical super car.  

BMWDave

QuoteThe 911 is my absolute dream car.? I can't get enough of them. :D
Not me, I would take a F40 over the Carrera GT if I wanted an impractical super car.
Why (not being arumentative, just curious)

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

It is the closest thing to a street legal race car ever produced.  

giant_mtb

Umm...the bumper extends too far out. (the front one)

Catman

Do you see them often in New England?
I see alot of Carreras and occasionally a Turbo.  

Raza

Before I look at the pictures, I'm going to take a guess...

It looks alot like the old Turbo?

*Looking...*

I was right!  

I love 911s...every one ever, Porsche is my favorite car company.  But spy shots of the 997 Turbo?  We know what the 997 looks like, beautiful as it is, it's not much of a departure from the 996, and you know the Turbo won't be either.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Exige?

I do agree with you on the F40 over Carrera GT, though.  But I'd take the Carrera over the Enzo.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Exige?

I do agree with you on the F40 over Carrera GT, though.  But I'd take the Carrera over the Enzo.
As would I.  

Raza

What about the Exige being more street legal racer than the F40?

What about cars like the Ariel Atom or Caterham Seven series?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteWhat about the Exige being more street legal racer than the F40?

Real race cars have more than 200hp  

Raza

QuoteWhat about the Exige being more street legal racer than the F40?

Real race cars have more than 200hp

Sleek, functional interior, great looks, 260bhp, 0-60 faster then an Enzo, 30 thousand pounds.  Cheap as hell for what you get.

Not all race cars have over 200bhp.  Don't those Mazda series cars have like 150?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Calling those race cars is a bit of a stretch (refering to the Miata cup cars).

Raza

Yeah, but Enzo beating performance for the price of a Chrysler Crossfire?  You want to argue with the CSR260?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteYeah, but Enzo beating performance for the price of a Chrysler Crossfire?  You want to argue with the CSR260?
I agree it is nice, but is it street legal in the USA?  

Raza

QuoteYeah, but Enzo beating performance for the price of a Chrysler Crossfire?  You want to argue with the CSR260?
It's the UK version.  I don't think they sell the CSR here.

The American cars all come with less powerful motors (but you don't have to buy them from Caterham, you can install your own more powerful engines).  I'm sure it would be road legal in the USA because it's a kit car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteYeah, but Enzo beating performance for the price of a Chrysler Crossfire?? You want to argue with the CSR260?

The American cars all come with less powerful motors (but you don't have to buy them from Caterham, you can install your own more powerful engines).  I'm sure it would be road legal in the USA because it's a kit car.
Car and Driver did a comparison a while back with a caterham and I remember them saying it was street legal in the US.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteYeah, but Enzo beating performance for the price of a Chrysler Crossfire?  You want to argue with the CSR260?

Car and Driver did a comparison a while back with a caterham and I remember them saying it was street legal in the US.
That version was, but the engine for this one isn't available in a USA production car.  

Raghavan

how big will porsche keep making their flat 6 engines?
i'd much prefer a small V8 to a big flat 6.

BMWDave

Quotehow big will porsche keep making their flat 6 engines?
They dont necessarily make them "big"....they are just able to very efficiently get power out of those flat 6s.  and I love the sound! :praise:

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

They dont necessarily make them "big"....they are just able to very efficiently get power out of those flat 6s.  and I love the sound! :praise:
3.8l is quite big for a 6 cyl.

TBR

4.0l is supposed to be the limit. I will take a well engineered H6 over a V8 any day, same power in a more compact package.