Spy Shots: 2006 Audi Q7 : Exclusive Video

Started by BMWDave, June 30, 2005, 09:02:34 PM

BMWDave

Video at the Link

Date Posted 06-30-2005

We've seen the 2006 Audi Q7 up close in a design studio, but now we have spy video of this highly anticipated luxury SUV in action on Germany's Nurburgring test track. With almost no disguise hiding its sleek lines, the seven-passenger Audi Q7 looks to be undergoing final shakedown tests before it starts production in the fall.

Although this particular Q7 prototype can be seen yielding to a Mercedes-Benz M-Class on the track, Audi has assured us that the Q7 will yield to no SUVs when it hits the streets next year. Built on the same chassis as the Volkswagen Touareg and Porsche Cayenne, Audi's engineers removed much of the off-road hardware in order to reduce weight. With standard all-wheel drive and an adjustable air suspension, the Q7 will still be off-road capable, but its overall tuning will be biased toward street use.

On the low end, the Q7 will most likely use a variation of Audi's new direct injection 3.2-liter V6 while higher-end versions will get the 4.2-liter V8 used in the A6 and A8. A six-speed automatic will be the standard transmission, but we've seen prototypes with DSG-style paddle shifters so expect to see that option offered as well.

Even more intriguing is the upcoming V10-powered Q7, a model that Audi officials have already confirmed for production. No power figures have been released, but we expect at least 500 horsepower, if not more. Audi executives haven't been coy about their desire to outmuscle Porsche's twin-turbo Cayenne, so expect serious horsepower along with track-ready brakes and 20-inch wheels and tires.

Look for the debut of the 2006 Audi Q7 at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

It looks like it was shot with a video cell phone, but from what you can see it looks very good.  

BMWDave

QuoteIt looks like it was shot with a video cell phone, but from what you can see it looks very good.
I dont know...it sort of looks too high and narrow to me...it certainly doesnt look sporty, IMO.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteIt looks like it was shot with a video cell phone, but from what you can see it looks very good.
I dont know...it sort of looks too high and narrow to me...it certainly doesnt look sporty, IMO.
How sporty is it supposed to look? It is a suv!  

ifcar

It's very difficult to get an SUV to look sporty without isolating mainstream customers (FX). I'd say Audi struck a nice balance with the Q7.

BMWDave

Just because its an SUV, doesnt mean it doesnt have to look sporty.  And it certainly doesnt look elegant, IMO, so I think Audi failed on both accounts of trying to make it look sporty, or elegant.  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Just because its an SUV, doesnt mean it doesnt have to look sporty.  And it certainly doesnt look elegant, IMO, so I think Audi failed on both accounts of trying to make it look sporty, or elegant.
Wait until you see higher quality pics before you make any judgement regarding this suv's sportiness or elegantness (I believe I just invented a word :lol:).  

ifcar

Wait until you see higher quality pics before you make any judgement regarding this suv's sportiness or elegantness (I believe I just invented a word :lol:).
"Elegance".  ;)  

TBR

"Elegance".  ;)
Thanks, that sounds much better. :)

BMWDave

"Elegance".  ;)
Thanks, that sounds much better. :)
:lol:   I will wait, but I think you can see most of the SUV as is now, and I am not impressed, but I will wait. :)

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Some design features probably haven't been finalized, plus a video of a suv on a racetrack is never particularly flattering.