Texas Town Car: Lincoln Mark LT Full Test

Started by BMWDave, June 30, 2005, 09:38:46 PM

BMWDave

Link

Texas Town Car
By Brian Moody
Date posted: 06-30-2005

The boat ramp is crowded for a Tuesday afternoon. As we begin positioning our big-block flat-bottom onto the trailer, a fellow boater starts eyeing our tow vehicle; an Arizona Beige 2006 Lincoln Mark LT.

"Nice truck!" he yells. He's driving a new black-on-black Ford F-150 Lariat.

"What do you like about it?" we inquire.

"The Navigator-style taillights are cool and I like all that chrome."

Our new friend's observation perfectly illustrates how the Lincoln Mark LT makes a great first impression. However, a little scrutiny shows it to be somewhat less luxurious than its price suggests. For instance, those "Navigator-style taillights" he likes so much are just tacked-on reflectors. We think that's a missed opportunity.

Big Price
Our fellow boater's admiration was tempered a bit more when we told him the as-tested price for this Mark LT 4x4 was $47,600. "I guess my F-150 isn't so bad," he said with satisfaction.

Lincoln's idea of a luxury truck isn't the problem, it's the execution. Executive Editor Richard Homan summed it up nicely, "The Escalades look like Cadillac actually had a hand in styling them whereas the Lincoln Mark LT looks like Ford just gave it to Lincoln as is." Keep in mind, however, the base price of an Escalade EXT is about $10,000 more than the Mark LT 4x4 we tested. And a two-wheel-drive Mark LT starts under $40,000.

At that price it's important to note that the 2006 Lincoln Mark LT is available only as a SuperCrew four-door with a 5.5-foot bed, a 5.4-liter V8 and a four-speed automatic transmission. The truck is, however, available in both two- and four-wheel-drive configurations. A 4x4, like our test truck, starts at $42,700. By comparison, a loaded 2005 Ford F-150 King Ranch 4x4 has an MSRP of about $44,000. Similarly equipped, the Lincoln is roughly $1,300 more.

Essentially, that extra money only gets you cosmetic upgrades like a Lincoln grille, special badging and chrome trim. In fact, Lincoln acknowledges that the Mark LT's main goal is to offer a truck that is a visual alternative to the F-150, and despite its big buck Super Bowl ad, it's only looking to sell 1,000 Mark LTs per month.

A Little Light on Luxury
Our LT had leather seats with contrasting piping on the edges, which we thought was a nice touch. Plus, those seats are wide and accommodating, like they were lifted from a late-'60s Continental. The rest of the interior is also dressed up nicely, with exposed stitching on the steering wheel, instrument panel and shifter, in contrasting colors on the dash.

As good as it looks, however, a few seams start to show when you start poking around. The F-150 King Ranch has nicer leather and the LT has far too many plastic surfaces for a luxury vehicle in this price range.

And while our Mark LT was loaded with every available option, including a rear-seat DVD player and rear parking sensors, it did not include features we think are essential in a luxury truck. Our Mark LT did not have power seatbacks, power lumbar, a navigation system, power-folding mirrors, multizone climate control, a bedliner, Bluetooth connectivity, satellite radio or any kind of OnStar-like feature.

Refined on the Road
On the road, the Lincoln pickup feels exactly like an F-150, which is a good thing ? same refined ride and the same smooth 5.4-liter, 300-hp V8. In our track testing we recorded a slightly slower 0-to-60 time of 10.3 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 17.3 at 80.4 mph. Our 2004 F-150 crew cab clocked a 9.8-second 0-to-60 time and ran through the quarter-mile in 16.9 seconds at 80.9 mph.

Like the F-150, the Mark LT feels adequately powered for everyday driving. And although it won't wow you with its might, the V8 never runs out of steam and keeps a steady pull well into highway speeds. The four-speed automatic is the only transmission offered and it delivers positive upshifts and almost imperceptible downshifts. The engine's combination of power and civility reinforce the Mark LT's lofty luxury goal.

The 5.4-liter V8's 365 lb-ft of torque reinforces the business end of the truck and its ability to pull extra weight. While towing our Barron Sprint boat, the Lincoln was easily able to get up to speed or merge onto fast-moving L.A. freeways. But with the Lincoln's 8,900-pound towing capacity, we were barely scratching the surface of the truck's ability.

The steering requires just enough effort to remind you you're driving a huge truck, but also has a quick feel that contributes to the LT's comfortable demeanor. We wish the brakes could inspire the same confidence as the steering, but the pedal tends to feel mushy at first, only getting firm toward the end of its travel. Our test driver noted significant ABS noise, but almost no fade. We got from 60 mph to a full stop in just over 133 feet. That's not bad for a big truck that weighs in at 5,600 pounds.

We like the Lincoln Mark LT's around-town ride and handling but we're not a big fan of the truck's at-the-limit demeanor. In the slalom test, which can simulate how a vehicle will respond in an emergency situation, the Mark LT was a little unpredictable with lots of body roll, and its back end had a tendency to come around without much warning.

Alternative Rock
The Lincoln Mark LT is every bit as smooth and quiet as an F-150, with the same ability to haul stuff and seat five adults comfortably. If you're in the market for a luxury pickup, the Mark LT should be considered for exactly what it is, an alternative. Think of it as a well-equipped Ford pickup that's been mildly customized, only you didn't have to do any of the work. Plus, you'll make lots of great first impressions.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I agree that Lincoln could have done something really nice with the LT. An F-150 with real Navigator styling (more than just detail changes from the F-150), and maybe the Nav interior. As it is, I'd say even 12k units per year would be surprising.

TBR

I think the interior is great, but the exterior styling leaves a lot to be desired.

ifcar

The interior and exterior both are barely changed from the F-150.

shayslay

As mediocre as the LT is, at least it's no Blackwood. What high praise!
-impReza

2004 Acura RSX-S

TBR

QuoteThe interior and exterior both are barely changed from the F-150.
As far as the interior goes, that isn't necessarily a negative thing. The F-150's interior is leagues above the interiors of every other full size truck on the market, including the EXT's.  And, they have made some changes to make it look somewhat unique.  

ifcar

I don't disagree that the F-150's interior is worthy of such a price tag, or the Lincoln badge. But more change than just the interior colors is necessary, even if it is already far better than its only close competitor.

Catman

QuoteI don't disagree that the F-150's interior is worthy of such a price tag, or the Lincoln badge. But more change than just the interior colors is necessary, even if it is already far better than its only close competitor.
Ford can rap the GT500's dash with leather so they should do the same here.

TBR

QuoteI don't disagree that the F-150's interior is worthy of such a price tag, or the Lincoln badge. But more change than just the interior colors is necessary, even if it is already far better than its only close competitor.
Ford can rap the GT500's dash with leather so they should do the same here.
Even though I am the one defending the Mark LT, I would like to note that the GT500 is  still a Ford, not a Lincoln.

And, I don't remember a particularly large amount of griping when GM carried over the generally crappy interior of the Silverado/Suburban (which itself can be a 55k vehicle) to the Escalade.

Raza

Yes!  Another Lincoln truck!  This will save the dead brand!  

Let it go, Ford.  It's over.  You've been hitting it with the defibrillator over and over again, and it's just not moving.  It's time to start digging and move on.

:rolleyes:  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Are you kidding? The Escalade always gets criticized for its interior.  

TBR

QuoteAre you kidding? The Escalade always gets criticized for its interior.
No more than the other members of the GM fullsize truck/suv family are.  

Raza

Yeah, but that's only because it has a crappy interior.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Exactly, it isn't because it is shared with Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, and Yukon Denali XL.  

ifcar

EDIT: Should have quoted. Refers to "No more than the other members of the GM fullsize truck/suv family are."

Wrong again. On C/D, even GM fans say that the interior is what's holding back the Escalade from being considered truly excellent.

TBR

QuoteEDIT: Should have quoted. Refers to "No more than the other members of the GM fullsize truck/suv family are."

Wrong again. On C/D, even GM fans say that the interior is what's holding back the Escalade from being considered truly excellent.
So it isn't holding back the other family members? And, the Escalade wouldn't be truly excellent, even with a Rolls Royce interior.  

ifcar

Exactly, it isn't because it is shared with Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, and Yukon Denali XL.
Once a luxury vehicle has a crappy interior, it doesn't matter what it's shared with. If it has a good interior, then it goes to the next level of examination for similarities.

For example, the Chevrolet Cobalt has very nice interior quality, arguably more so than the current Malibu or Impala. While that interior would still be competitive if it was to be inserted into one of those vehicles, it would still draw criticism for being shared with the lineup's economy car.

ifcar

QuoteEDIT: Should have quoted. Refers to "No more than the other members of the GM fullsize truck/suv family are."

So it isn't holding back the other family members? And, the Escalade wouldn't be truly excellent, even with a Rolls Royce interior.
I'd say it would be excellent with a Rolls interior, where do you think it would fall short of excellence with one?

And the interior is holding back other GM fullsizes, but it obviously matters less in a work truck than in a luxury SUV.

TBR

Once a luxury vehicle has a crappy interior, it doesn't matter what it's shared with. If it has a good interior, then it goes to the next level of examination for similarities.

For example, the Chevrolet Cobalt has very nice interior quality, arguably more so than the current Malibu or Impala. While that interior would still be competitive if it was to be inserted into one of those vehicles, it would still draw criticism for being shared with the lineup's economy car.
I see your point, but my point still stands that the Mark LT's interior is much better than its direct competitor's.  

TBR

I'd say it would be excellent with a Rolls interior, where do you think it would fall short of excellence with one?

And the interior is holding back other GM fullsizes, but it obviously matters less in a work truck than in a luxury SUV.
First of all, I would like to note that you can spend over $40k on every GM fullsize vehicle. Second, handling and braking are both weak points of the Tahoe/Suburban and I would assume that Escalade has those same negative traits.  

ifcar

You can get them up there in MSRP, but anyone PAYING that much needs to get their heads examined (except for the much more-expensive Yukon Denalis).

TBR

QuoteYou can get them up there in MSRP, but anyone PAYING that much needs to get their heads examined (except for the much more-expensive Yukon Denalis).
I would like to note that the sticker price of a Yukon XL 2500 can top $57,000 so even the best haggler probably couldn't get one for under 45k.

ifcar

TBR

QuoteAs I said...
I thought you meant that anyone paying over 40k for one of the regular variants was an idiot, now I see what you mean.