driving impressions: Ford Taurus, Nissan Maxima

Started by Vinsanity, October 12, 2007, 11:36:40 AM

Vinsanity

Going by the title, this was supposed to be my most borng test drive day yet. But to my surprise, it wasn't half bad.

First I drove the Taurus. In my own defense, there were only two things that compelled me to actually drive into the next city to a Ford dealer and test drive a Taurus: the rebates and the crash test ratings. Otherwise, I would be asking myself "WTF?" too.
The Taurus was actually really nice inside, and this was the SEL (lower trim level) model with cloth seats. I don't know if all Tauruses come with wood trim like the one I drove, but in any case, it really spruced up the interior. Oh yeah, jinormous amount of room in the back :ohyeah:
Driving the car turned out to be the pleasant surprise of the day. It's a big car, as you well know, and has a soft ride, light steering, etc. but it's not as floaty as the Camry, and has much better steering feedback. If anything, it even steers and handles better than the Charger R/T I drove this summer, and that car felt about the same size as the Taurus. And check this out: the car is pretty damn quick, too! It feels at least as fast as the TL, which was almost as quick as the S2000. Damn. This car is my newest guilty pleasure. It has a nicer interior than the Chrysler LX cars, and has more power than their V6 versions. The only things that would bother me about buying this car are the resale values, and telling people I bought a Ford Taurus :mask: Oh well, I can say I did it to save money :mask: :mask:

Next I drove the Maxima. Side note: the dealer was reluctant to let me test drive the car unless I was "ready to make a deal today". God, I hate that phrase. All the more reason for me to use carsdirect :rolleyes:
Back to the car: I drove a (lower trim level) 3.5SE also with cloth seats. It had a black interior which usually I'm not a fan of, but I like it in the Maxima. Mostly because I like how the pseudo-suede trim fabric wraps around the dash just underneath the windshield. I think that's nifty :praise: Overall, the interior isn't as fancy as the Taurus, but it's much nicer than the 07 Altima that I sat in at last year's auto show. Another side note: I didn't bother to drive an Altima 3.5 here because the salesmen weren't very pleasant, and the bigger rebates on the Maxima brought the price of one to within $500 of a similarly equipped Altima.
But driving the Maxima, I was once again fairly impressed. It felt like it was maybe a tick down on power compared to the TL (I guess the Max is heavier), but I really like how the CVT keeps you in the meaty part of the powerband when you get heavier on the throttle, and it sounds pretty cool doing it, too :mrcool: (sounds beefier than the TL, which sounds like a 4-banger in comparison). Steering feedback was quite impressive. It was nice and tight; more so than the TL, which felt like a mundane famiy car in comparison. Cornering prowess was about on ar with the TL. What I like most about driving the car is "downshifting" through the simulated gear ratios on the CVT. It's become a habit for me in the TL to use the manumatic to downshift when slowing to a stop. The Maxima's manumatic rev matches the downshifts, so there's no jerking forward on the downshift. Just the cool sound of engine revving as you slow down for a turn. Pretty cool :rockon:

As it turns out (and this always happens to me), I'm actually more indecisive after driving more cars than before. And the more I think it through, the more indecisive I get. I'm just as likely to buy a Ford Taurus as I am to buy a Honda Element :mask: Decisions, decisions. This might take a while. :huh:

sportyaccordy

What's the criteria for the car this time? Would something like a G35 or 328i be in your price range?

Vinsanity

I guess the only criteria right now are a back seat and a price tag under $28k (preferably under $25k). Oh, and something at least as safe as the TL :praise:

ok other things I'm looking for:

low insurance rates
good resale value
strongly prefer more than 4 cylinders

I know, sounds exciting, but the whole incident has made me look at cars in a somewhat different manner.

CALL_911

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 12, 2007, 02:35:26 PM
I guess the only criteria right now are a back seat and a price tag under $28k (preferably under $25k). Oh, and something at least as safe as the TL :praise:

low insurance rates
good resale value

I know, sounds exciting, but the whole incident has made me look at cars in a somewhat different manner.

Certified E90.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 12, 2007, 02:35:26 PM

low insurance rates
good resale value

I assume you've looked at the IIHS head restraint ratings? That's the one crash test in which new cars still have inconsistent performance. (The TL was "Marginal", the second lowest of four ratings.)

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on October 12, 2007, 02:49:14 PM
I assume you've looked at the IIHS head restraint ratings? That's the one crash test in which new cars still have inconsistent performance. (The TL was "Marginal", the second lowest of four ratings.)

yeah, I noticed that ... it didn't occur to me that the results have been inconsistent as far as the rear collision goes, though. I do know that the ratings are based on seat geometry and a simulated rear-end collision (as opposed to an actual one like they do for front and side impacts), and I have noticed inconsistencies based on the fact that they rate cars based on size class (i.e. Nissan Sentra scores higher than the Maxima)

Vinsanity

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 12, 2007, 02:48:17 PM
Certified E90.

oh yeah, and something that won't eat my wallet after the warranty has expired :devil:

(I might still give an E90 a try)

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 12, 2007, 03:02:06 PM
yeah, I noticed that ... it didn't occur to me that the results have been inconsistent as far as the rear collision goes, though. I do know that the ratings are based on seat geometry and a simulated rear-end collision (as opposed to an actual one like they do for front and side impacts), and I have noticed inconsistencies based on the fact that they rate cars based on size class (i.e. Nissan Sentra scores higher than the Maxima)

Why wouldn't it be possible for the Sentra to have seats better designed to minimize rear-impact injury than the Maxima?

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on October 12, 2007, 03:07:42 PM
Why wouldn't it be possible for the Sentra to have seats better designed to minimize rear-impact injury than the Maxima?

I was talking about the 3 tests overall.

But I guess it's possible; maybe I should test drive a Sentra :huh:

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 12, 2007, 03:16:15 PM
I was talking about the 3 tests overall.

But I guess it's possible; maybe I should test drive a Sentra :huh:

Frontal crash tests are easier on lighter cars, but the other two can be compared among any two vehicles. The Versa both outscored the Maxima in side and rear crash-testing (they haven't tested the Sentra yet).

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on October 12, 2007, 03:22:09 PM
Frontal crash tests are easier on lighter cars, but the other two can be compared among any two vehicles. The Versa both outscored the Maxima in side and rear crash-testing (they haven't tested the Sentra yet).

It sure seems like it; a lot of the cars in the "large cars" class didn't do well at all. It's hard to imagine that being the case in real life; common sense dictates that a Maxima will be able to hold up better than a Sentra when rear-ended by an Excursion :huh:

Unless, of course, there's something on the contrary that you'd like to share.

CJ

CJ

It's a very comfortable vehicle, so I don't see why he shouldn't look at them.  One with leather will run you about $25,000-$26,000.

CALL_911

I'm pretty sure he wants a little fun in his car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AKL

Quote from: CJ on October 12, 2007, 04:13:32 PM
Drive a Santa Fe.

The Santa Fe is no doubt a nice car (that's why I bought it). But I don't think he really needs a SUV. Unless he needs space or something I wasn't aware of.

+
It's quite boring to drive. Unless he wants more luxury then driving experience, I don't suggest the Santa Fe. Not that the Santa Fe is a bad driving car though. It's surprisingly confident through curves and quite composed. But it's by no means fun.
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

AKL

Maybe a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT?

It has a great safety rating on IIHS.

---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

yeah the only SUV I would consider at this time is the Element. And even it's classification as an SUV is questionable at best.

never thought about a Subie, though...I guess I'll give those a look

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 12, 2007, 06:58:49 PM
yeah the only SUV I would consider at this time is the Element. And even it's classification as an SUV is questionable at best.

never thought about a Subie, though...I guess I'll give those a look

An Asian guy wanting a Honda. How so very stereotypical. :devil:

TBR

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 12, 2007, 06:47:58 PM
Good suggestion, but rare as fuck.

Never looked for a Spec B, but the MY2005 equivalent isn't too hard to find (5MT GT Limited).

TheIntrepid

Quote from: TBR on October 12, 2007, 07:03:33 PM
Never looked for a Spec B, but the MY2005 equivalent isn't too hard to find (5MT GT Limited).

This is true. I only meant that the Spec B is rare.

Vinsanity

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 12, 2007, 07:02:24 PM
An Asian guy wanting a Honda. How so very stereotypical. :devil:

False. My people (along with Middle Easterners) drive Benzes. Actually I don't think I've even noticed an Asian guy drive an Element.

What is the stereotypical car for your people? That thing in your sig? :lol: j/k

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 12, 2007, 07:09:08 PM
False. My people (along with Middle Easterners) drive Benzes. Actually I don't think I've even noticed an Asian guy drive an Element.

What is the stereotypical car for your people? That thing in your sig? :lol: j/k

Unfortunately, the stereotypical car for my people is either a Camry or a Caravan. I have both. Accords, Odysseys, and Corollas are very common too. (Raghavan has an Accord, Danish has a Corolla.) Need I say more?

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 12, 2007, 07:10:06 PM
Unfortunately, the stereotypical car for my people is either a Camry or a Caravan. I have both. Accords, Odysseys, and Corollas are very common too. (Raghavan has an Accord, Danish has a Corolla.) Need I say more?

Those cars are all popular among all groups. Among them, all but the Odyssey is on the top-10 sales list in the US, and it too is a strong seller.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on October 12, 2007, 07:11:26 PM
Those cars are all popular among all groups. Among them, all but the Odyssey is on the top-10 sales list in the US, and it too is a strong seller.

Yes my point was that brown people ONLY buy those, until they can afford more, in that case it's Lexus RX, Mercedes E-Class, or S500.

CJ

Today, I saw a man in a turban today driving an S65 AMG.  I laughed at the thought that his previous car was probably a Camry.  I don't know...it was just so stereotypical!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CJ on October 12, 2007, 07:15:31 PM
Today, I saw a man in a turban today driving an S65 AMG.  I laughed at the thought that his previous car was probably a Camry.  I don't know...it was just so stereotypical!

I don't see men in turbans in anything but Crown Victorias. :lol: