MX-5 Diesel Gets Go-ahead

Started by BMWDave, July 01, 2005, 06:42:47 AM

BMWDave

MX-5 Diesel Gets Go-ahead

Link

Hardcore fans of the MX-5 will be shocked - a diesel version of the new Mazda is on the way! However, it's not all bad news for purists; they will be the first to get their hands on a special restricted-availability launch model.

A spokesman for the company confirmed to Auto Express: "There are people working on high-revving diesel engines at the moment, and I can see us using one in the MX-5."

Lovers of the RX-8's rotary engine will be disappointed, too. The clever powerplant has been ruled out for the two-seater, although the current conventional 2.0-litre unit will be joined by a more powerful version soon. "There's no reason why we shouldn't build a high-performance MX-5," added the spokesman. "This car deserves a more powerful variant." Expect a normally aspirated unit, with the 2.3-litre from the Mazda 6 a likely candidate.

Meanwhile, only members of the official MX-5 owners' club will be able to order one of the 300 special-edition cars available during November - the model's first month on sale. Finished in metallic red and based on the top-of-the-range Sport, the newcomer gets a unique cabin and numbered plaque. Outside, there's chrome trim around the windscreen. Prices have yet to be released, but expect a figure of around ?19,000 - the standard 2.0-litre car is likely to cost about ?18,500.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

LostBoy

QuoteMX-5 Diesel Gets Go-ahead
"There's no reason why we shouldn't build a high-performance MX-5," added the spokesman. "This car deserves a more powerful variant." Expect a normally aspirated unit, with the 2.3-litre from the Mazda 6 a likely candidate.

Very interesting, Dave... :o

I wonder what diesel engine they are referring to?  

And the 2.3...What kind of HP could we expect for a NA hi-po version...Was it the SVT Focus that had a 170HP iteration?...

BMWDave

"There's no reason why we shouldn't build a high-performance MX-5," added the spokesman. "This car deserves a more powerful variant." Expect a normally aspirated unit, with the 2.3-litre from the Mazda 6 a likely candidate.

And the 2.3...What kind of HP could we expect for a NA hi-po version...Was it the SVT Focus that had a 170HP iteration?...
I dont know what diesel engine they are referring to either.....and the current MazdaSpeed Miata has about 170 hp, so I suspect the new one will be making over 200 hp at least.

2007 Honda S2000

LostBoy

I dont know what diesel engine they are referring to either.....and the current MazdaSpeed Miata has about 170 hp, so I suspect the new one will be making over 200 hp at least.
Word.  I guess if Mazda can reliably do 160 in the 2.3, and Ford SVT can get 170hp without much stress, 200 shouldn't be too much of a problem...

It just struck me, though...aren't diesels heavy compared to their petro counterparts...I love that the US is starting to see more diesels...but wouldn't a diesel 3, 5 or 6 be a better candidate, considering the MX-5's forte is balance and light-weight "tossability?"

IMHO, A diesel 3 would compare very favorabley with the TDI Jetta...and the diesel 6 would be a "poor man's" Passat TDI.

BMWDave

Word.  I guess if Mazda can reliably do 160 in the 2.3, and Ford SVT can get 170hp without much stress, 200 shouldn't be too much of a problem...

It just struck me, though...aren't diesels heavy compared to their petro counterparts...I love that the US is starting to see more diesels...but wouldn't a diesel 3, 5 or 6 be a better candidate, considering the MX-5's forte is balance and light-weight "tossability?"

IMHO, A diesel 3 would compare very favorabley with the TDI Jetta...and the diesel 6 would be a "poor man's" Passat TDI.
I think that they should definitely put diesels in the cars you mentioned....and about weight gain, this would be a samll diesel, so I would assume weight gain would be minimal.

2007 Honda S2000

crv16

Hmmm.  Am I the only one who thinks a diesel engine in a convertible (mmm those lovely smells at a stop light) is not a good idea?
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

cozmik

QuoteHmmm.  Am I the only one who thinks a diesel engine in a convertible (mmm those lovely smells at a stop light) is not a good idea?
That thought right there is exactly what the auto makers are afraid of in the US. The new diesels are not smelly or noisy like they used to be. All the reviews of the E320 CDI have said they couldn't smell it at all. It was quieter than the gas E320 too.  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

crv16

QuoteHmmm.  Am I the only one who thinks a diesel engine in a convertible (mmm those lovely smells at a stop light) is not a good idea?
That thought right there is exactly what the auto makers are afraid of in the US. The new diesels are not smelly or noisy like they used to be. All the reviews of the E320 CDI have said they couldn't smell it at all. It was quieter than the gas E320 too.
I've driven behind some new diesel models lately - specifically new Jetta TDIs and the Jeep Liberty CRD, and while nowhere near the smell of older models, the diesel odor was still there.

I haven't any experience with the european diesel models, which use a cleaner fuel.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

shayslay

QuoteHmmm.  Am I the only one who thinks a diesel engine in a convertible (mmm those lovely smells at a stop light) is not a good idea?
My friend's dad has a Passat TDI and I cannot smell anything either. The diesel "noise" is still there though. they're improving steadily enough but there just isn't that much of a market for them in our hybrid-crazed society.
-impReza

2004 Acura RSX-S

TBR

Just like to note that the 2.3l Mazda I4 and the 2.0l SVT Focus I4 are completely different engines.

LostBoy

QuoteJust like to note that the 2.3l Mazda I4 and the 2.0l SVT Focus I4 are completely different engines.
Ahh...thanks for clearing that up...it didn't feel right, when I posted that... ;)  

cozmik

QuoteHmmm.? Am I the only one who thinks a diesel engine in a convertible (mmm those lovely smells at a stop light) is not a good idea?
My friend's dad has a Passat TDI and I cannot smell anything either. The diesel "noise" is still there though. they're improving steadily enough but there just isn't that much of a market for them in our hybrid-crazed society.
Admittadly the Mercedes diesels are supposed to be pretty refined. I think that VW's diesel's are actually probably pretty crude compared to some others that are available.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

280Z Turbo

I've been thinking about the idea of a small diesel roadster for some time now. I would love a diesel Miata for a daily driver. The mileage on it would be awesome and it would have some pretty good low-end torque too, I would imagine.

Our diesel stinks, but the new stuff should be here soon.

BMWDave

I remember reading reviews which said that when driving the 535d with the windows open, the reviewers could detect no smell at all.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Has anyone heard a diesel Liberty? That engine is supposed to be fairly low tech (for DaimlerChrysler anyway).  

BMWDave

QuoteHas anyone heard a diesel Liberty? That engine is supposed to be fairly low tech (for DaimlerChrysler anyway).
I have heard one...its a very clangy noise...not quiet at all.

2007 Honda S2000

cawimmer430

"High reving diesel"? I don't know about you, but when I drive a diesel, I enjoy the gobs of torque at low RPM and how they shove me back into the seat. I think that would be a good thing for this MX-5 diesel, not a high reving diesel, where diesels have traditionally "no power at all".

Is this engine for Europe? Doesn't sound like this thing would sell in America. You know, the "completely underpowered" thing.  :lol:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

Mmmmmmmmmm torque. :praise:  :praise:  :praise:  :praise:  :praise:  :praise:  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

93JC

QuoteHas anyone heard a diesel Liberty? That engine is supposed to be fairly low tech (for DaimlerChrysler anyway).
It uses a common fuel rail, four-valves-per-cylinder, etc.: the same technology Mercedes-Benz diesels use.

It's louder than, say, an E320 CDI, because it doesn't have any sound deadening and is mounted in a taller chassis which allows the sound to resonate from below. The Mercedes-Benz 2.7L I5 turbodiesel used in the Sprinter van is no quieter for the same reasons.

BMWDave

It uses a common fuel rail, four-valves-per-cylinder, etc.: the same technology Mercedes-Benz diesels use.

It's louder than, say, an E320 CDI, because it doesn't have any sound deadening and is mounted in a taller chassis which allows the sound to resonate from below. The Mercedes-Benz 2.7L I5 turbodiesel used in the Sprinter van is no quieter for the same reasons.
Sprinters are very loud...I did notice that when I heard them...

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

They can't be that loud, certainly not as loud as a powerstroke or cummins from 3 years ago or so.  

BMWDave

They can't be that loud, certainly not as loud as a powerstroke or cummins from 3 years ago or so.
I am not saying they were more loud than _submit name here_....I am saying they were loud.  And I havent heard one American Sprinter that had a Diesel...I'm talking about European Sprinters with diesels that clang very noisily.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I am not saying they were more loud than _submit name here_....I am saying they were loud.  And I havent heard one American Sprinter that had a Diesel...I'm talking about European Sprinters with diesels that clang very noisily.
My point was that by diesel truck standards they probably aren't that loud. And, USA versions have probably have a different exhaust system to minimalize "clanging".

BMWDave

My point was that by diesel truck standards they probably aren't that loud. And, USA versions have probably have a different exhaust system to minimalize "clanging".
They sound much louder than any car diesel on the market now, and probably are akin to the Cummins diesels of abou 5 years ago.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

They sound much louder than any car diesel on the market now, and probably are akin to the Cummins diesels of abou 5 years ago.
Really? That is pretty bad, the pre '03 Cummins was extremely loud.  

BMWDave

I took a Sprinter as a taxi back from the airport...the diesel is very noisy and smelly.  It was not a pleasant taxi ride :)

2007 Honda S2000

280Z Turbo

Really? That is pretty bad, the pre '03 Cummins was extremely loud.
That's what I heard too.

My cousin has a 2000 F-250 Powerstroke and you can hear it run, but it isn't that loud.

TBR

The 7.3l powerstroke isn't exactly quiet either, but it wasn't as bad as the cummins (we have a lot of these things around here, it is Texas after all).