That New Nissan thing.

Started by gasoline, October 16, 2007, 10:23:12 AM

gasoline

I have to tell you that I was never impressed with this car--i.e. I was just not following the hype--until I saw the headline: "Z06 Killer" (or whatever).
I never saw it that way before.

http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/plugins/iimage-gallery.php?idpost=3808&idg=1&idi=1

Here is a real picture. It was leaked from Motortrend's December issue. Click on the link above for a much larger version.

That is a very interesting comparison, and should have GM stepping-up their game.

(Have you ever noticed how long it takes for Porsche and Audi to develop a new car? It seems to me to be longer than the Corvette. Am I wrong in my perception? [Think R8. To me, that car had been in development round the ring for three or four years]).
-----------------------------------

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

nickdrinkwater

FlatBlackCaddy

hmm........

*throws out real estate section of the paper and calls local nissan dealer*

gasoline

nickdrinkwater

Cool.  I'm not saying it isn't the car, just that it all seems to be based on hearsay at the moment.

gasoline

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on October 16, 2007, 10:51:20 AM
Cool.  I'm not saying it isn't the car, just that it all seems to be based on hearsay at the moment.
You are right. MotorTrend does not have a good reputation with predictions at all.

TBR

Raza

Quote from: gasoline on October 16, 2007, 10:23:12 AM
(Have you ever noticed how long it takes for Porsche and Audi to develop a new car? It seems to me to be longer than the Corvette. Am I wrong in my perception? [Think R8. To me, that car had been in development round the ring for three or four years]).

There's a lot that goes into producing a car.  Some of the perceived time comes with production cycles. 

The C4 Corvette was on sale from 1984 until 1996.  When do you think they started developing the C5?  The C5 ran itself for 7 years. 

Hell, the Blue Devil/Z07/SS has been rumored for at least 2 years or more.  And that's a model based on an existing car.  Developing a brand new car, like the R8 has to take loads of time.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

That will be a huge MT issue, they have the Skyline + the high powered sedan shootout!  M3/RS4/C63 AMG

the Teuton

Quote from: gasoline on October 16, 2007, 11:10:11 AM
You are right. MotorTrend does not have a good reputation with predictions at all.

They introduced the new WRX.  I think they're gaining some credibility.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

gasoline

S204STi

It's a photochop.

Or at least, I thought it was.  Another article I read stated that official pics and specs would be out later...so are these unofficial pics of the real thing?

gasoline

More of the Autoweek images:

Frankly all I care about is performance parameters. This car is not very pretty otherwise. In fact, I hope for real-world pics soon, because I am not impressed at all (not even so much with the interior).

gasoline

the Teuton

Can we already call it a Z06 killer? 
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

It is pretty ugly.  When will the stickshift version come out?  I'd love to see GT-R v. M3.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

The back looks nice, the front looks strange with that big black opening like the new evo has I don't think that style looks good on either car, though the GTr seems to have a more rounded front end instead of the sharp nose of the evo.

Anyway i'd like to see one in person, i think it looks good but wished it looked alittle better. I guess time(and more pictures or seeing it in person) will tell.

As for performance it will be right in line with a 911 Turbo. Afterall that is the benchmark and they should have atleast matched the benchmark.

The 911 Turbo is marginally(literally .1 second) faster than a Z06. So if this thing matches the 911 turbo(I'm sure it will, doubt it will surpass it though) then this GTR is not a Z06 killer. To me killing implies a large difference in performance, one which would be so great that the lesser car wouldn't have a chance no matter what the conditions or driver skill it will be "killed". I do realize in famboylands across the world(internet) that a .2 second advantage to sixty is a killing.

Anyway back to the thread.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on October 16, 2007, 01:06:13 PM
It is pretty ugly.  When will the stickshift version come out?  I'd love to see GT-R v. M3.

And C63 and IS-F.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on October 16, 2007, 01:06:13 PM

Do they even compete?

I guess i'm alittle behind on the new M3 but i don't recall it slipping under the 4 second mark on its sprint to sixty.

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 16, 2007, 01:12:46 PM
And C63 and IS-F.

And RS4.  I should have said "and the rest of the class".  Though the M3 and the GT-R are the only two coupes, so I didn't want people to complain.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on October 16, 2007, 01:13:40 PM
And RS4.  I should have said "and the rest of the class".  Though the M3 and the GT-R are the only two coupes, so I didn't want people to complain.

Right. I did forget about my favorite one. I'm a retard.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd like to see alot of comparos on this car, better still would be comparisons to its actual competitors.

While i'm sure it falls within the price and general output of the cars mentioned above those aren't really its competitors.

This isn't a Bigger engined kitted out performance model of a standard car(M3, IS-f, CTS-V). Its a standalone model. Its most direct competition(and maybe only in the truest sense) is the 911 Turbo.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 16, 2007, 01:16:07 PM
I'd like to see alot of comparos on this car, better still would be comparisons to its actual competitors.

While i'm sure it falls within the price and general output of the cars mentioned above those aren't really its competitors.

This isn't a Bigger engined kitted out performance model of a standard car(M3, IS-f, CTS-V). Its a standalone model. Its most direct competition(and maybe only in the truest sense) is the 911 Turbo.

Well, the 911 Turbo is just a turbocharged version of a 911.  Therefore, it doesn't compete with the GT-R either.  And, you can't compare it to a Corvette, since it only has two seats.  You can't compare it to anything really.

Amazing.  You've created a world where your beloved Nissan is peerless.   

If they perform similar functions, have similar functionality, and cost similar amounts, why don't they compete? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Maybe the CLK63 AMG Black Series?

sportyaccordy

ARGHHHHHHH

"We can confirm with a confident degree of certainty that it should be powered by a twin-turbocharged V6 that will most likely be related to, or based on, in some degree or form, the current VQ V6 in Nissan's engine fleet. Platform sharing between the two motors is rumored to range between sharing the same V-angle (60 degrees) to sharing the same block & head castings.

The powertrain is assumed to be a next generation version of a variant of the ATESSA AWD system in use on the G35X, and, the GT-R's of yore- however this is all speculation...

Engine power is rumored to be competitive..."

I say the press lays off until we actually get confirmed details from Nissan... I'm sick of the speculations...

TheIntrepid

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on October 16, 2007, 01:26:08 PM
Maybe the CLK63 AMG Black Series?

No, that's based on the CLK.  Also, it doesn't look like the GT-R so it doesn't compete.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 16, 2007, 01:27:13 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Teutsie's losing it.

So it's twice the price, but otherwise, they are similar cars, IMO.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on October 16, 2007, 01:20:26 PM
Well, the 911 Turbo is just a turbocharged version of a 911.  Therefore, it doesn't compete with the GT-R either.  And, you can't compare it to a Corvette, since it only has two seats.  You can't compare it to anything really.

Amazing.  You've created a world where your beloved Nissan is peerless.  

If they perform similar functions, have similar functionality, and cost similar amounts, why don't they compete? 

Settle down kid, i'm not trying to do anything with my "beloved" nissan.

The M3 is close, but i was saying its not a competitor due to its performance. I don't have numbers in front of me, but i'm pretty sure it isn't ripping off sub 4 second runs to sixty.

My point is valid about the others, tarted up family sedans with 4 doors and seating for 4 don't compete too well with a 2 + 2 were the back 2 are worthless, not to mention the use of 2 less doors.

Sure the M3 fits the bill, and the 911 turbo(i guess you can compare the lesser models on a price basis, but they wouldn't come close to matching the performance).