My thoughts on a 2008 BMW 328i

Started by VTEC_Inside, October 20, 2007, 07:34:24 PM

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on October 21, 2007, 01:00:06 PM
ZF 5HP19HL

I do remember reading that it was a Mercedes 5 speed.  But it was from Car and Driver, so it was probably wrong.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on October 21, 2007, 01:07:16 PM
Off the top of my head I can't think of a single Cadillac that has ever used a non-GM automatic, except the BLS. I don't know what the BLS uses, but I assume it's the same as the Saab 9-3, which uses an Aisin 5-speed.

Logic says it would use that Aisin, since it's just a rebody on the 9-3.  Changing the transmission is again, not cost effective.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

And I think Aisin is partially owned by Toyota, is it not?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

Bah I was hoping this was for a 200 328i... still a good review though.

I think to fully enjoy a BMW you have to modify it a bit and take it to 10/10ths. Around town it's probably 10x more fun than a Camry, but a Camry is a Camry...

Stock for stock I think Bimmers are awesome. I need more seat time in them though. But I think once you start modifying cars the gap starts to close.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 565 on October 21, 2007, 10:00:24 AM
I feel exactly the same way.  I drove a BMW 325 auto back when my friend was looking at one.  I wasn't blown away.  It was a nice enough car, but I didn't really feel any of the wonderful steering or the amazing ride and handling trade off.  It seemed pretty much on par with it's competitors.  My friend however (who incidently knows absolutely knows nothing about cars and drove a Camry) was totally smitten with it, saying now he understood what those magazines were raving about.

I definitely feel there is an Emperorer's new clothes situation with many people's impression of  BMW's. 

I felt the same way when I drove an E46 sedan (325 I think) back in 2002. It was much better than what I was driving at the time, but it didn't blow me away like I expected from hearing BMW fanbois, er, mag reviews :rolleyes:

edit: OMG my 1000th post! :rockon:
<-----

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: 565 on October 21, 2007, 10:00:24 AM
My friend however (who incidently knows absolutely knows nothing about cars and drove a Camry) was totally smitten with it, saying now he understood what those magazines were raving about.

Coincidently the friend of mine that had the car for a day fits that description to a "T" as well. Him and his gf are absolutely gaga over the thing.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

MX793

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 20, 2007, 07:34:24 PM
Alas, while I found it to be a very NICE car, I didn't really walk away from it converted or anything. It would be tough to sell me a car like that for $50,000 especially since despite being catered to the enthusiast they delete the f'in dipstick. I quote the salesman "BMW owners don't check their oil", I would have walked away at that, but it was a friend of mine taking it for a day so...

BMW's decision to eliminate dipsticks does not sit well with me.  For a company that prides itself on its engineering prowess, I think it's a terrible engineering decision.  What are you supposed to do if your low oil light goes on?  Call BMW to tow the car to the dealer so they can determine how low the oil is and top it off?  Without knowing exactly how low the oil is, you can't safely top it off.  Overfilling can cause engine damage.  Unless you just add oil and keep checking to see when the light turns off.  Of course, that's the scenario for when the system is working correctly. There's the possibility that the light is triggered by a faulty sensor and you end up overfilling the crank case.  Dipsticks are simple, inexpensive and extremely effective.  The idiot light in the dash is not supposed to be the only means of monitoring oil levels.  It really should be the last line of defense for warnings against running the engine low on oil.  Now, had they replaced the dipstick with a readout that actually told you roughly how much oil was left in the crankcase like a fuel gauge, I'd find the elimination of the dipstick a little easier to swallow.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: MX793 on October 21, 2007, 07:18:42 PM
BMW's decision to eliminate dipsticks does not sit well with me.  For a company that prides itself on its engineering prowess, I think it's a terrible engineering decision.  What are you supposed to do if your low oil light goes on?  Call BMW to tow the car to the dealer so they can determine how low the oil is and top it off?  Without knowing exactly how low the oil is, you can't safely top it off.  Overfilling can cause engine damage.  Unless you just add oil and keep checking to see when the light turns off.  Of course, that's the scenario for when the system is working correctly. There's the possibility that the light is triggered by a faulty sensor and you end up overfilling the crank case.  Dipsticks are simple, inexpensive and extremely effective.  The idiot light in the dash is not supposed to be the only means of monitoring oil levels.  It really should be the last line of defense for warnings against running the engine low on oil.  Now, had they replaced the dipstick with a readout that actually told you roughly how much oil was left in the crankcase like a fuel gauge, I'd find the elimination of the dipstick a little easier to swallow.

Couldn't agree more. I've heard that they actually have had trouble with the "low oil" sensors and people were overfilling their cars.

FYI, the "M" cars still get dipsticks.

Even the BMW techs don't know how much oil is in there unless they drain it and measure. You would think that they would leave it there if only for the technicians sake.

To make matters worse, the change intervals are apparently like 24,000kms. Sorry, I suppose I could get over leaving the oil in there that long, but I'd like to keep an eye on it.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

ChrisV

yeah, you should see how the BMW Club magazine and it's readers are trashing BMW over the dipstick issue.

You don't just check level by looking at the dipstick, you check condition of the oil. It's simply silly not to have a dipstick.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...