Ford Ka

Started by giant_mtb, July 01, 2005, 09:52:20 AM

giant_mtb

Well...seeing as I just got home from England, I got to see many new cars.  One that seems to be pretty popular over there is the Ford Ka. (KA? Ka?)  I'm guessing it's completely underpowered but probably gets upwards of 50 mpg (gas is extremely expensive over there).

So...can you tell me anything about it?

shayslay

It was released there in 96 I think and it was built on the Fiesta platform.
-impReza

2004 Acura RSX-S

shayslay

OMG, I just got reminded of the SportKa commerical with the decapitated cat. Not a great visual...
-impReza

2004 Acura RSX-S

Tom

giant_mtb

Foundn an article...the top speed is 96 mph.  <_<  Get's about 50 mpg.

Model: Ford Ka3
Engine: Four-cylinder, 1299cc
Power: 60bhp
Transmission: Five-speed manual
Fuel: 47.9mpg (combined)
Acceleration: 0 to 60mph: 13.8sec
Top speed: 96mph

shayslay

The SportKa uses a 1.6L rather than the 1.3 that the standard uses.
-impReza

2004 Acura RSX-S

footoflead

QuoteFoundn an article...the top speed is 96 mph.? <_<? Get's about 50 mpg.

0-60...13.8......

60 hp...most people can out run that.........

until it gets up to speed
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

QuoteFoundn an article...the top speed is 96 mph.  <_<  Get's about 50 mpg.

0-60...13.8......

60 hp...most people can out run that.........

until it gets up to speed
:lol:  

BMWDave

Its basically a cute little roadster for soccer mom types, from what I hear.  They all think its cute.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

I believe it was a replacement for the Aspire and Ford wisely decided that us Americans had no interest in sub-compact cars.  

R33 GT-R

It sure gets to 60 in a hurry.   :lol:  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

QuoteIt sure gets to 60 in a hurry.   :lol:
Wouldn't want to have to drive something that slow, even in a little town of 5000 you sometimes need a bit of get up and go. I suppose traffic in Europe is really different than our's.  

BMWDave

QuoteIt sure gets to 60 in a hurry.   :lol:
0-60 times like that can get positively dangerous, if you cant merge onto a highway with enough oomph.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

QuoteIt sure gets to 60 in a hurry.   :lol:
Wouldn't want to have to drive something that slow, even in a little town of 5000 you sometimes need a bit of get up and go. I suppose traffic in Europe is really different than our's.
Well where this car is used (in Europe) the roads are all very small and the speed limit doesn't seem exceed 40 kmh on most roads.  It's fast enough to be one of the cars I saw most while in Europe...  <_<  

BMWDave

QuoteIt sure gets to 60 in a hurry.?  :lol:
Well where this car is used (in Europe) the roads are all very small and the speed limit doesn't seem exceed 40 kmh on most roads.  It's fast enough to be one of the cars I saw most while in Europe...  <_<
I'm sure once it gets up to speed it ownt have a problem, but getting up to speed is the big problem.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I'm sure once it gets up to speed it ownt have a problem, but getting up to speed is the big problem.
Europe's streets and highways are much different than ours, so over there it probably has enough power for most folks.  

R33 GT-R

Some of the onramps here only give you a very short distance, it would be a lot of shoulder action for this car.  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

BMWDave

QuoteIt sure gets to 60 in a hurry.?  :lol:
Europe's streets and highways are much different than ours, so over there it probably has enough power for most folks.
It definitely doesnt have enough power to merge on to the autobahn  :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

It definitely doesnt have enough power to merge on to the autobahn  :lol:
I believe there are speed limits around on and off ramps, plus on ramps might get new lanes.  

ifcar

0-60 times like that can get positively dangerous, if you cant merge onto a highway with enough oomph.
A 14-second 0-60 would be on par with most older small-car models, and they're not necessarily dangerous, just annoying. I think it would have done fine as an Aspire replacement, it could have gone after the New Beetle crowd who just wanted something cute.

CaseyNPham

It was designed by the ALMIGHTY *drumroll*

Pininfarina ^_^
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

shayslay

QuoteOMG, I just got reminded of the SportKa commerical with the decapitated cat. Not a great visual...
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/sportka.html

In case people want to indulge themselves.
-impReza

2004 Acura RSX-S

TBR

A 14-second 0-60 would be on par with most older small-car models, and they're not necessarily dangerous, just annoying. I think it would have done fine as an Aspire replacement, it could have gone after the New Beetle crowd who just wanted something cute.
My parents complained that our '96 626 I4 5-spd didn't have enough power to get on to the highway that runs through our town, and it probably could have managed a 10.5 second or so 0-60 run. My dad has even commented that it would be nice if the Subaru had a bit more juice, in fact, he said that if we were to buy one now we would probably get the XT model.

ifcar

My parents complained that our '96 626 I4 5-spd didn't have enough power to get on to the highway that runs through our town, and it probably could have managed a 10.5 second or so 0-60 run. My dad has even commented that it would be nice if the Subaru had a bit more juice, in fact, he said that if we were to buy one now we would probably get the XT model.
Expect a 12-14 second 0-60 run if you get a $1,500 early-90s compact, especially with an automatic.  <_<  

Raza

Small, reliable, cheap.  Quentin from Fifth Gear called it the best car for starting drivers.  It's basic town car transportation--not a weekend racer.  There's also a convertible version, the StreetKa that goes to 60 in about 14 seconds, looks like a Focus roadster (2 seats) and is soft and plush (ride wise).  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Expect a 12-14 second 0-60 run if you get a $1,500 early-90s compact, especially with an automatic.  <_<
I know that, those cars are really too slow for at least the rural USA, you would have to do a lot of waiting to find a big enough gap.  

93JC

I know it was the last use of the Ford "Kent" engine, an overhead valve unit with pushrod valve actuation, one of the last OHV engines on the UK market. It dates all the way back to 1959, when the Ford Anglia used a 997cc version (the Ka's version was 1.3L). It was given an OHC head in '02.

Laconian

The SportKa is a favorite sub-subcompact of Evo magazine because of its excellent handling.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

thewizard16

I think the Ford Ka, after seeing them nearly everywhere in Germany, is one of the ugliest vehicles on the road. The StreetKa (the 95hp convertible) looks surprisingly good, considering the car it was derived from.

Not surprisingly, they don't look too good in crashes.  :blink:
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BMWDave

No car looks good in crashes ;)

2007 Honda S2000