What would you buy for $25,000

Started by Vinsanity, October 29, 2007, 10:58:05 AM

new vs. used face-off

6 (22.2%)
21 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Vinsanity

Ok so I already made my decision. But this was an issue that recently arose with me. Do I buy a brand new mainstreamer with low interest, a full warranty, and cheaper maintenance? Or do I buy a 4-5 year-old luxury sport sedan with more features and lower depreciation cost? The choices pictured are just examples. The decision here is pretty much:

2007/08 mainstream sedan
vs.
2003/04 luxury sport sedan

Where does your $25k go?

Raghavan

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ChrisV

I'd go even older for my money. And I did. In fact, right now I'd probably go with either an AMG CLK55 or an '01 740i Sport for that sort of money.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

JYODER240

I went with the new simply because of it's warranty and not having to worry about any problems that might arise with an older less reliable luxury car.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

thewizard16

Luxury car. If it's a moderately reliable car, get as much toy/comfort as you can for your money.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TheIntrepid

Usually I'd pick the E60, but the looks aren't as nice in my eyes as they used to be. Also, I lust after the new Altima.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 29, 2007, 12:21:30 PM
Usually I'd pick the E60, but the looks aren't as nice in my eyes as they used to be. Also, I lust after the new Altima.

The choices pictured are just examples.

the Teuton

For that kind of money, I'd start looking for E39 M5s if they are to be had.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on October 29, 2007, 01:04:15 PM
For that kind of money, I'd start looking for E39 M5s if they are to be had.

25 grand will get you one with under 100k miles. 

I chose the older luxury car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=232628895&dealer_id=619279&car_year=1991&num_records=25&model=M5&systime=1193685797859&make2=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=15260&advanced=&end_year=2008&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=186

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=230434911&dealer_id=100751&car_year=2000&num_records=25&model=M5&systime=1193685797859&make2=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=15260&advanced=&end_year=2008&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=801

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=227314581&dealer_id=55410601&car_year=2000&num_records=25&model=M5&systime=1193685797859&make2=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=15260&advanced=&end_year=2008&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=419
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ChrisV

southdiver1

Well, givin the autos in the pix, I would go with the new Nissan simply because after 5-6 years. the BMW's are absolute junk however, if we were talking, lets say, a brand new 25K Honda Civic and a 25K 5 year old Lexus 430, I would go with the Lexus.
Build quality means a lot.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

ChrisV

Quote from: southdiver1 on October 29, 2007, 01:51:10 PM
Well, givin the autos in the pix, I would go with the new Nissan simply because after 5-6 years. the BMW's are absolute junk however

Really? Mine's junk? Didn't know that.

the Teuton

Quote from: ChrisV on October 29, 2007, 01:56:34 PM
Really? Mine's junk? Didn't know that.

I always thought the pre-Bangle cars were timeless.  Really, how well does a car like that hold up and how expensive is it to maintain?

ChrisV

Quote from: the Teuton on October 29, 2007, 01:58:32 PM
I always thought the pre-Bangle cars were timeless.  Really, how well does a car like that hold up and how expensive is it to maintain?

Holds up well, and is easy and pretty cheap to maintain, even at high miles (mine has 154k miles on it now). There are a couple of areas that need to be looked after, but they are cheap and simple. It's really no more expensive to work on than an old Chevy. I paid $7500 for it in January with 143k on it, and have spent a couple hundred on repair items since (all of them related to the fact that it's got 150+k on it not because it's a BMW, and all of them expected for the price. I paid less than market value for it expecting that it would need a few common repairs). There's a great community for diagnosing/repairing, and modding the cars.

I didn't get receipts for any work done to it in the past, and it came from a wholesale dealer, so I can't tell how it was maintained before I got it. But it is in excellent condition inside...

850CSi

GoCougs

In general terms, I'd be more inclined toward the Altima (in V6 form, that is). It will still provide pretty good performance, and will generally be cheaper to insure, to maintain and to repair; especially when compared with a used German marque.

I also don't think I'd like to drive a fancy car because of the attention they seem to draw.

ChrisV

Quote from: GoCougs on October 29, 2007, 02:17:21 PM
In general terms, I'd be more inclined toward the Altima (in V6 form, that is). It will still provide pretty good performance, and will generally be cheaper to insure,

I've found just the opposite with insurance.

Quoteto maintain and to repair; especially when compared with a used German marque.

Actual prices I've paid have shown that not to be true, either. SOME big ticket items may be more expensive after the warranty runs out, but they are rarely needed in either case.

I've found the same to be true of my Range Rover.

I also don't think I'd like to drive a fancy car because of the attention they seem to draw.

it's not really bad attention... ;) Actually, for the most part it doesn't draw any attention.

2o6

Vinsanity

Quote from: GoCougs on October 29, 2007, 02:17:21 PM
In general terms, I'd be more inclined toward the Altima (in V6 form, that is). It will still provide pretty good performance, and will generally be cheaper to insure, to maintain and to repair; especially when compared with a used German marque.

meh. Unless you live in a bad neighborhood, who cares if a car draws alot of attention? (in which case, you should buy a cheap car and save up to move to a not-so-bad neighborhood)

Although I'm quite bothered by some people who seem to think that the CTS is considerably more expensive than the TL (and others who thought that the TL cost over $40,000)

And I agree with Chris; older cars are generally cheaper to insure than newer ones (even luxury vs. mainstream)

But you do bring up a good point that the V6 Altima is much faster than a 525i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 29, 2007, 03:59:29 PM

But you do bring up a good point that the V6 Altima is much faster than a 525i

But... with used cars, the price difference between a 525i, and say, a 535i, grows ever smaller.

FordSVT

Quote from: ChrisV on October 29, 2007, 11:04:47 AM
I'd go even older for my money. And I did. In fact, right now I'd probably go with either an AMG CLK55 or an '01 740i Sport for that sort of money.

You're a braver man than I. Quite honestly, I fear the 4-digit repair costs any time something breaks. I'd love to buy a 4-5 year old M3, but I'm afraid.

Me likey new car warranty.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on October 29, 2007, 01:38:12 PM
Here's my choice: http://www.ferettimotors.com/site/index.php?s=car&id=3232

Black on black, sport equipped, 750i V12 car.  :wub:

wow, that's a better warranty than I've seen on most of the newer used cars I've looked at :ohyeah:

ChrisV

Quote from: FordSVT on October 29, 2007, 04:09:45 PM
You're a braver man than I. Quite honestly, I fear the 4-digit repair costs any time something breaks.

Like the $135 radiator replacement? Or the $120 Cam Position Sensor replacement? (Two of the problem areas, and both took me a half hour with just a couple hand tools to do). Seriously, the idea that repairs are 4 digit ANY TIME something breaks is a myth. The most expensive thing I've seen on the E38 board was a replacement trans at $2k by a dealer. And that was the only trans repair I've seen in two years there.

Part of the reason I picked the 740 was the stellar record of reliability, the low cost of parts and repairs, and the apparent design ease of working on it if it needed repairs.  With that said, I checkbooked two repairs on it, both were $300. One was the water pump, which isn't common, but at high miles was an excuseable need, and the voltage regulator, which required pulling the alternator to change. Not a common repair either, but the part was only $90 (I was charged the 2 hour book time for the repair).

Over the year I've had it, those costs are actually pretty small, and I had expected to pay for repairs on a high mileage, under-market-value E38.

To be fair, some guys who have had the cars since new and paid to have work done at the dealer have paid more to keep the cars up when the cost of the car was factored in (we're talking a car that retailed for over $70k new for the V8 version and $90-100k for the V12). But most people buying used have needed very little in the way of expensive repairs. Shockingly, most money people spend is on upgrades to later parts (like the 16:9 nav screen, or iPod integration, or later HID lamps) Oh, and wheels. Custom wheels are not cheap for these. And I want a set of the factory MPar 18" sport wheels...

Now, this week I gotta change the oil...

El Barto

I'd go with the older car.  Oh wait, I already did.   :tounge:  That was basically the choice I had when I was shopping for a car a couple weeks ago, except my budget was around $15,000.  I was either going to end up with a Fit or Versa or something older but much nicer.
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

Eye of the Tiger

$25,000? I'd buy one of these, and do 1-Lap of America a few times.
http://maine.craigslist.org/car/462455123.html

Onslaught

Depends on what cars we're talking about.
But between these two I'd take the Nissan.

Vinsanity

Quote from: El Barto on October 29, 2007, 04:23:50 PM
I'd go with the older car.  Oh wait, I already did.   :tounge:  That was basically the choice I had when I was shopping for a car a couple weeks ago, except my budget was around $15,000.  I was either going to end up with a Fit or Versa or something older but much nicer.

I saw the pics the other day in the the thread you posted. That's a nice ride for $15k! :ohyeah: Congrats!