2006 CVPI Specs

Started by Catman, July 01, 2005, 07:48:45 PM

TBR

Looks like they really concentrated on improving safety.  

Catman

The guy in charge of our fleet was bitching about the change to 17" tires.  Now we'll have to stock 16's and 17's, a pain in the ass.  I'm not sure why they're changing that, more rubber is better when hitting things.  Hopefully the sidewalls aren't to short.

93JC

QuoteThe guy in charge of our fleet was bitching about the change to 17" tires.  Now we'll have to stock 16's and 17's, a pain in the ass.  I'm not sure why they're changing that, more rubber is better when hitting things.  Hopefully the sidewalls aren't to short.
People think a larger diameter wheel is "cool".  :rolleyes:

More sidewall is generally better for offroading too, but damned if I haven't been told lots of times that the Jeep's wheels look too small...  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: (they're 15")

93JC

Oh, and:

QuoteEngine - 250-hp 4.6L SEFI V8 with overhead cam

DROP THE 'STANG'S ENGINE IN IT, DAMNIT!

Raghavan

why is there a 250hp engine in a police car? won't the police car be heavier? how will it go fast?

93JC

Quotewhy is there a 250hp engine in a police car? won't the police car be heavier? how will it go fast?
Cops are involved in far more than pursuits. All-out power and speed is not high on policemen's list of needs in a cruiser.

Besides, the Crown Vic Police Interceptor can still storm to 60mph in eight or nine seconds, which is more than enough. Bad guys can't outrun radios.  :praise:

Ford should drop the 250hp and 239hp versions of the 4.6L modular to save cost, and the Mustang's 300hp version should be available as an option at the very least.

Secret Chimp

I'd wonder if the Mustang engine would be much worse on gas mileage, or if the extra weight already boffs what little advantage the lower-output engines would have in "normal" conditions.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raghavan

QuoteI'd wonder if the Mustang engine would be much worse on gas mileage, or if the extra weight already boffs what little advantage the lower-output engines would have in "normal" conditions.
aren't both the engines the same?  

TBR

QuoteI'd wonder if the Mustang engine would be much worse on gas mileage, or if the extra weight already boffs what little advantage the lower-output engines would have in "normal" conditions.
aren't both the engines the same?
No, the Mustang engine has a 3 valve head compared to the CV's 2 valve head. The CV must also have more restrictive exhaust and intake manifolds.  

Raghavan

Ford can at least put the 3.9l V8 from the Lincoln LS. 280 hp and 282 lb-ft isn't bad.

TBR

QuoteFord can at least put the 3.9l V8 from the Lincoln LS. 280 hp and 282 lb-ft isn't bad.
Too expensive to produce and maintain.  

280Z Turbo

Why not offer both the Mustang's V6 and V8 in the CV? The V6 is supposed to be pretty torquey.

Catman

Reliability and durability are at the top of the list as far as police cruisers.  The 4.6L is an excellent engine in that regard.  With proper maintenance it withstands high demands without much complaint.  As far as power, it is more than sufficient around town.  The only time more power would be handy is on the highway when chasing down speeders from a dead stop.  During pursuits the cruiser has the advantage of being equipped with more cooling capacity and can usually run much longer at high speed without puking.

Ron From Regina

The 05 mustang engine is actually lighter than before, because it is now, an all Aluminum, where before it was an iron block (and prob still is, in the cv).

As far as fuel consumption, in my 05 mustang gets just about the same as my 02 did. I have seen 30 mpg on the highway (Thats a canadian gallon. In american gallons, that prob about 27-28)

BMWDave

The 05 mustang engine is actually lighter than before, because it is now, an all Aluminum, where before it was an iron block (and prob still is, in the cv).

As far as fuel consumption, in my 05 mustang gets just about the same as my 02 did. I have seen 30 mpg on the highway (Thats a canadian gallon. In american gallons, that prob about 27-28)
You have a 05 Mustang?  GT, or V6?  It would be cool to see some pictures :)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Ron From Regina

QuoteOh, and:

The most likely reason is, that the plant that builds the 3 valve head engines (4.6 and 5.4) is currently at capacity, and ford doesn't want to take these engines away from their high margin vechicles. (Trucks, suv's.)

Thats why it is so difficult to get a mustang GT right now, because almost all of the v8s are going to the trucks.

Ron From Regina

You have a 05 Mustang?  GT, or V6?  It would be cool to see some pictures :)

Here you go. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Now back on topic......

BMWDave

Very, very, nice car!  :)

Now back on topic :lol:

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

Quotewhy is there a 250hp engine in a police car? won't the police car be heavier? how will it go fast?
Cops are involved in far more than pursuits. All-out power and speed is not high on policemen's list of needs in a cruiser.

Besides, the Crown Vic Police Interceptor can still storm to 60mph in eight or nine seconds, which is more than enough. Bad guys can't outrun radios.  :praise:

Ford should drop the 250hp and 239hp versions of the 4.6L modular to save cost, and the Mustang's 300hp version should be available as an option at the very least.
I agree.  They need to swap out/revamp/or modify that 4.6 and/or give it some more oomph.

93JC

QuoteOh, and:

The most likely reason is, that the plant that builds the 3 valve head engines (4.6 and 5.4) is currently at capacity, and ford doesn't want to take these engines away from their high margin vechicles. (Trucks, suv's.)

Thats why it is so difficult to get a mustang GT right now, because almost all of the v8s are going to the trucks.
All the more reason to dump the 2-valve versions used in Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, etc. and replace them with the 3-valve version. The plant currently building the 2-valve modular could switch production over to 3-valve and pick up the slack.

280Z Turbo

I wouldn't be suprised to find out that the 3 valve gets better mileage. Better Airflow = Efficiency = Horsepower