Hybrid Durango- WHY?

Started by rohan, November 04, 2007, 08:31:43 AM

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 12:27:07 PM
I just did a search on Exxon.com of all stations within 300 miles of Denver (the largest radius it allows). It came out to 42 stations. Then I limited the search to stations with diesel. Down to 28.

Feel free to experiment with other brands/locations.

54 stations within 100 miles of Phoenix, 28 with diesel (just over 50%)

I checked my region and a 100 mile radius around it (which basically covers all of upstate NY).  286 stations, 140 with diesel (less than 50%).  Tighten the search to be a bit more local (25 miles) and I get 15 stations, 10 with diesel, which lines up with the 2/3 I estimated based on casual observation.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Quote from: Raghavan on November 04, 2007, 12:31:46 PM
And you're wrong for saying that you've never seen a gas station in America that doesn't sell diesel, so me posting a pic of on that doesn't sell diesel would prove you wrong.

You need to learn more about rhetoric and debate. There's no way you, not knowing or having spent time with me, can prove that I haven't seen a diesel-less gas station. It's simply not possible.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2007, 12:40:20 PM
You need to learn more about rhetoric and debate. There's no way you, not knowing or having spent time with me, can prove that I haven't seen a diesel-less gas station. It's simply not possible.
So how am I wrong for saying that the reason I wouldn't get a diesel is because no stations near me sell it?
Am I missing something here?

Tave

So diesel is neither at every pump nor is it completely absent from a given area. Sounds like the most someone would have to do is simply drive to the next gas station if the one they're at doesn't carry it. :rolleyes:

Damn! That stuff is more rare than diamonds! :devil:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2007, 12:43:34 PM
So diesel is neither at every pump nor is it completely absent from a given area. Sounds like the most someone would have to do is simply drive to the next gas station if the one they're at doesn't carry it. :rolleyes:

Damn! That stuff is more rare than diamonds! :devil:
Exxon says that the nearest diesel station is 47.6 miles away. :rolleyes:
I'm not driving all the way over there to get it. :rolleyes:
And because of California's stricter emissions laws we don't get lots of diesels here anyways. That's why we didn't get the E320 CDI.

Tave

Quote from: Raghavan on November 04, 2007, 12:41:50 PM
So how am I wrong for saying that the reason I wouldn't get a diesel is because no stations near me sell it?
Am I missing something here?

I never said you were wrong. But the availability of diesel fuel isn't what's preventing Americans from buying them. That simply isn't a problem.

rohan

Within 300 miles of Detroit there are 1966 stations with 994 of them having diesel or about 50% of the stations..  Fimding diesel anywhere in the midwest wouldn't be any problem at all.  That's just Exxon-Mobile. 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Tave

Quote from: Raghavan on November 04, 2007, 12:46:50 PM
Exxon says that the nearest diesel station is 47.6 miles away. :rolleyes:
I'm not driving all the way over there to get it. :rolleyes:

That's just the nearest Exxon station.

Quote from: rohan on November 04, 2007, 08:31:43 AM
I gotta ask this question- WTF is so great about hybrids?  What's so wrong with diesels?  they do the same thing the hybrid does- and they're also cheeper to build so why not just build more clean burning McDonalds grease diesels?  A Durango hybrid?  Who the hell is going to buy that?

Because when I think Hybrid I think "wow Hybrid, that's like some crazy space aged electric + gas high tech gizmo thingy!!"

When I think of diesel I think of this.

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2007, 12:47:49 PM
I never said you were wrong. But the availability of diesel fuel isn't what's preventing Americans from buying them. That simply isn't a problem.

In some areas, like, say, both coasts, it's not so easy to come by. Particularly if, say, you're running low. Or if you're traveling in an unfamiliar area, and don't know when you'll find the next station that sells diesel.

It's definitely not just perception.

rohan

When I think of a diesel I think of this

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

TheIntrepid

I think of TDI when I think diesel.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

rohan

~Chief Seattle

TheIntrepid

Quote from: rohan on November 04, 2007, 01:03:39 PM
TDI? 

That damned intrepid?

The Intrepid isn't a diesel. :huh:

I meant Volkswagen's TDI engines.

rohan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 04, 2007, 01:05:51 PM
The Intrepid isn't a diesel. :huh:

I meant Volkswagen's TDI engines.
I was talking about you- homo!   :evildude: :evildude: :lol:

~Chief Seattle

TheIntrepid

rohan

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 12:58:01 PM
In some areas, like, say, both coasts, it's not so easy to come by. Particularly if, say, you're running low. Or if you're traveling in an unfamiliar area, and don't know when you'll find the next station that sells diesel.

It's definitely not just perception.
Looking at the Exxon site- unless I did it wrong- there are diesel stores all over the esast coast on that map.   

But if they're going to make a Durango hybrid- how will it be any better than the current one that's geting on the highway what the Tahoe is?  Who's gonna wanna pay the extra 4000 or 7000 fro technology that's not going to be recovered maybe over the life of a car - if you take the average owner only keeps his car or truck 3 or 4 years?

~Chief Seattle

ifcar

"All over" in some senses. If you know where they are, you'll get by. But they're not "all over" in the sense that you can count on one being where you are when you need gas. Most gas stations you find will not be serving it.

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 04, 2007, 10:59:15 AM
I think that's only been done with VW diesels, but I may be wrong. :huh:

Old Benz diesels are the most common conversions I've seen.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: rohan on November 04, 2007, 08:31:43 AM
I gotta ask this question- WTF is so great about hybrids?  What's so wrong with diesels?  they do the same thing the hybrid does- and they're also cheeper to build so why not just build more clean burning McDonalds grease diesels?  A Durango hybrid?  Who the hell is going to buy that?

Why?  Because they shared some of the development costs with GM and BMW for the system being used in the new GMT900 Tahoe.

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2007, 12:47:49 PM

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2007, 12:23:40 PM
If anyone's wrong, it's you, for saying

"The only thing I don't like about diesels is that most gas stations don't sell it. That would be the only reason I wouldn't get a diesel."

Now I am very confused? :confused:

Tave

Quote from: Raghavan on November 04, 2007, 04:24:48 PM
Now I am very confused? :confused:

Notice the clause begins with "if," and I was commenting on your assertion that "most gas stations don't sell it." I was never questioning whether or not the ones immediately around your house do.

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2007, 04:45:42 PM
Notice the clause begins with "if," and I was commenting on your assertion that "most gas stations don't sell it." I was never questioning whether or not the ones immediately around your house do.
Well, that's what I was talking about. I didn't mean that gas stations all over the country don't sell diesel, just the ones around my area don't.

:cheers:

Tave

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 02:01:23 PM
"All over" in some senses. If you know where they are, you'll get by. But they're not "all over" in the sense that you can count on one being where you are when you need gas. Most gas stations you find will not be serving it.

I still don't agree with that. It implies very few serve it, when in actual fact, the major cities we've been discussing are about 1/2 and 1/2.

On the East Coast, it might be a little less, but there is still a significant amount of stations. Around the DC area, 1467 out of 3246 stations sell diesel. So while your "most" may be technically correct, it's not the most accurate statement because diesel can't be as hard to find as you imply. If 50% of the stations serve it and the one you're at doesn't, chances are all you have to do is drive down the street to the next station. :huh:

Tave

Is there any way to get sales statistics for models by region? I'd be very interested to learn where all those E320 Bluetecs are being delivered to. My guess is the East Coast.

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2007, 04:58:02 PM
Is there any way to get sales statistics for models by region? I'd be very interested to learn where all those E320 Bluetecs are being delivered to. My guess is the East Coast.
Not in California, that's for sure. :tounge:

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2007, 04:55:26 PM
I still don't agree with that. It implies very few serve it, when in actual fact, the major cities we've been discussing are about 1/2 and 1/2.

On the East Coast, it might be a little less, but there is still a significant amount of stations. Around the DC area, 1467 out of 3246 stations sell diesel. So while your "most" may be technically correct, it's not the most accurate statement because diesel can't be as hard to find as you imply. If 50% of the stations serve it and the one you're at doesn't, chances are all you have to do is drive down the street to the next station. :huh:

That's not 49.99% or anything, that is significantly under half. And I'd bet that if you looked at whatever source you used, you'd see that the stations with diesel were found much more commonly in the outermost/rural suburbs of the DC area. Where most people in the area generally don't have a reason to go.

If I were to buy a diesel car, I'd have to go out of my way to get gas, and I wouldn't be able to gas up at the best-price stations near me. That's a hindrance. One of my neighbors who used to own diesel S-Classes switched to regular gas just before they stopped selling the diesel because of a lack of availability. Someone else I know ended a Jetta TDI lease early and got a 1.8T because of the hassle of getting gas.

I'm not saying it's unfeasible. It can be done. But say 55% of the gas stations in your area went out of business overnight and most of the rest switched to one pump, and tell me that you wouldn't both lose convenience and pay more. That's the equivalent of buying a diesel car in the DC area.

Tave

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 05:46:38 PM
That's not 49.99% or anything, that is significantly under half. And I'd bet that if you looked at whatever source you used, you'd see that the stations with diesel were found much more commonly in the outermost/rural suburbs of the DC area. Where most people in the area generally don't have a reason to go.

It's 45% exactly, which in my book is pretty close to half. I used the Exxon search engine you mentioned, and it showed diesel stations all over the city: in and outside the Beltway.

I guess I've never really noticed: does the price of diesel vary from station to station, or is it more inelastic?

Tave

On a somewhat related note, I know people that don't have any stations within a 40 mile radius of their house.

When I was in Pheonix, there were at least three gas stations within a 1/2 a mile from my apartment, at least 5 within 1 mile, and at least 8 within 2 miles. Granted, according to the Exxon site, Pheonix has a higher percentage of diesel carriers (though not by much) than DC, and this isn't a very scientific study as we're only looking at Exxon stations, but I think there's a point here. Even if only one of those Pheonix stations carried diesel, and I had a diesel vehicle, it wouldn't have been a big deal. I can understand how it could be, in some areas, but it seems the exception rather than the rule.

Once again, I'd be interested to learn how many Merc and VW diesels are sold on the East Coast compared to the Midwest.