Hybrid Durango- WHY?

Started by rohan, November 04, 2007, 08:31:43 AM

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on November 05, 2007, 09:01:26 AM
It's 45% exactly, which in my book is pretty close to half. I used the Exxon search engine you mentioned, and it showed diesel stations all over the city: in and outside the Beltway.

I guess I've never really noticed: does the price of diesel vary from station to station, or is it more inelastic?

I've never said they don't exist, just that they're less common.

And I don't mean that the price of diesel varies so much by station, but all gas prices vary by station. Cut out more than half, and there's a good chance you lose the best-price stations.

SaltyDog

Quote from: Raghavan on November 04, 2007, 04:59:23 PM
Not in California, that's for sure. :tounge:

Do you have any highways near you?  Look at fuel stations near highways and there's usually diesel.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Submariner

Quote from: MX793 on November 04, 2007, 11:02:10 AM
Other way around.  The vegetable oil kits are for diesel cars (old diesel Mercedes are very popular choices for this conversion), not gasoline.  In fact, there was a story on CNN or one of the other major news networks about a company in California that offers these conversion kits.

Yes, I saw it a week or so.  Very interesting.

All the more reason to buy an old diesel G-class.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raghavan

Quote from: SaltyDog on November 05, 2007, 02:24:00 PM
Do you have any highways near you?  Look at fuel stations near highways and there's usually diesel.
The highway is a couple of miles away from my house, but that's still a pain when i can just fill up a gasoline car less than a mile away from my house.

MX793

Quote from: Tave on November 05, 2007, 09:16:30 AM
On a somewhat related note, I know people that don't have any stations within a 40 mile radius of their house.

When I was in Pheonix, there were at least three gas stations within a 1/2 a mile from my apartment, at least 5 within 1 mile, and at least 8 within 2 miles. Granted, according to the Exxon site, Pheonix has a higher percentage of diesel carriers (though not by much) than DC, and this isn't a very scientific study as we're only looking at Exxon stations, but I think there's a point here. Even if only one of those Pheonix stations carried diesel, and I had a diesel vehicle, it wouldn't have been a big deal. I can understand how it could be, in some areas, but it seems the exception rather than the rule.

Once again, I'd be interested to learn how many Merc and VW diesels are sold on the East Coast compared to the Midwest.

When you consider that a couple of states in the North East essentially outlawed diesel passenger cars by having tighter emissions regulations than the rest of the country, I suspect there are fewer diesels in the NE than in the midwest.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

They only briefly blocked new diesels, by my understanding.