The Crown Vicky is dead

Started by TheIntrepid, November 04, 2007, 08:34:09 AM

the Teuton

Lest we forget about the Mercury Capri roadster?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ChrisV

Quote from: the Teuton on November 07, 2007, 03:49:06 PM
Lest we forget about the Mercury Capri roadster?

That was imported from Australia, but yeah, another example of a car unique to Mercury in the US (was it available in Europe or elsewhere as a Ford?)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

USA_Idol

Quote from: ChrisV on November 07, 2007, 03:45:57 PM
When I say lately, you have to remember that MY Mercury is a '60s model, and Mercury had already been around for 30 years at that point. To me, anything newer than the mid '60s is a late model car.

But cars like the FWD Cougar are more than a simple rebadge of the Contour, it was a rebody of the Contour, which is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Much like my Comet is a rebody of the Falcon (of course, the Mustang was a similar rebody of the Falcon), with a different wheelbase and different sheetmetal all around.

The FWD Cougar was actually just a Mercury-badged version of the Ford Cougar sold in Europe.  It was also built on the Mondeo/Contour/Mystique chassis.  So I'm not sure how "exclusive" it was to Mercury.

USA_Idol

Quote from: ChrisV on November 07, 2007, 03:52:45 PM
That was imported from Australia, but yeah, another example of a car unique to Mercury in the US (was it available in Europe or elsewhere as a Ford?)

It was sold as the Ford Capri elsewhere, so it wasn't unique to Mercury.  It was based on the 1986-1989 Mazda 323 chassis, BTW.

the Teuton

But in America, they were exclusive.  That's like saying the Dodge Intrepid really wasn't a Dodge because they don't have that brand in Canuckistan.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

They don't? Then what is it, a Chrysler Ram? :confused:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 07, 2007, 04:46:01 PM
They don't? Then what is it, a Chrysler Ram? :confused:

Wait...Good point.  What do they have in Canada?

CALL_911

They do have Dodge in Canada
http://dodge.ca/en/

I don't know why it was a Chrysler Intrepid, then.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raghavan

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 07, 2007, 05:05:37 PM
They do have Dodge in Canada
http://dodge.ca/en/

I don't know why it was a Chrysler Intrepid, then.
Trep was BS'ing again?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on November 07, 2007, 11:34:34 AM
Mercury have executives?

I thought Mercury was just a Ford with a different badge and grille.

There are like 1000 or more various "Vice Presidents of such and such" inside Ford, and the divisions all have their own heads as well.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on November 07, 2007, 04:42:59 AM
That doesn't make sense. If it weren't profitable, they wouldn't have kept around as long as they have.

Profit was viable when the car was relevant, but FoMoCo rode the profit margins into the ground year after year to the point that the fleet-specific market it served was not worth a new Crown Vic/Gran Marquis.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raghavan on November 07, 2007, 05:26:08 PM
Trep was BS'ing again?

No, it really was a Chrysler Intrepid. I just don't know why.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

Quote from: USA_Idol on November 07, 2007, 01:20:40 PM
Going back even thirty years (1977), I can't remember a single Mercury that wasn't simply a rebadge (or a mild rework of the profile) of a US or Euro Ford model. :huh:

Nitpicking, I know.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on November 07, 2007, 06:09:02 PM
Profit was viable when the car was relevant, but FoMoCo rode the profit margins into the ground year after year to the point that the fleet-specific market it served was not worth a new Crown Vic/Gran Marquis.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it would be profitable to redesign it, just that it is still profitable to produce it with no associated development costs for a surprisingly large market.

USA_Idol

Quote from: ifcar on November 07, 2007, 06:30:33 PM

Nitpicking, I know.

IIRC, the Villager was a mish-mash of Maxima and Taurus wagon parts for the chassis.  So it did have some relation to another Ford, if only slightly.

USA_Idol

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 07, 2007, 06:24:30 PM

Didn't they do the same thing with the "Chrysler Neon?"   :huh:

Colin

Quote from: USA_Idol on November 07, 2007, 07:55:32 PM
Didn't they do the same thing with the "Chrysler Neon?"   :huh:

Yes, and in Europe we have the Chrysler Voyager.

I was in Spain last week, and see that the latest Sebring is badged as the Chrysler 200 over there.... presumably in the hope that some of the kudos and desirability (?) of the 300C will rub off on it little, and ugly brother?

ChrisV

Quote from: USA_Idol on November 07, 2007, 04:16:40 PM
The FWD Cougar was actually just a Mercury-badged version of the Ford Cougar sold in Europe.  It was also built on the Mondeo/Contour/Mystique chassis.  So I'm not sure how "exclusive" it was to Mercury.

First off, it was the Mercury first then exported to Europe as a Ford. Second, it was EXACTLY what I was talking about: A complete rebody of a Ford chassis, not a simple rebadge. I don't see how this is such a hard conversation to follow.

Laconian

Quote from: USA_Idol on November 07, 2007, 07:52:59 PM
IIRC, the Villager was a mish-mash of Maxima and Taurus wagon parts for the chassis.  So it did have some relation to another Ford, if only slightly.

No, wasn't the Villager a rebadged Nissan Quest?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

The Pirate

Quote from: Laconian on November 08, 2007, 10:33:49 AM

That's correct.  It even had a 3.3L V6, similar to the VG in the 2nd gen Pathfinder, though it was retuned for minivan duty (a bit more hp, and less torque IIRC).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

USA_Idol

Quote from: ChrisV on November 08, 2007, 07:24:44 AM
First off, it was the Mercury first then exported to Europe as a Ford. Second, it was EXACTLY what I was talking about: A complete rebody of a Ford chassis, not a simple rebadge. I don't see how this is such a hard conversation to follow.

From what I remember (and I could be wrong), the Ford Cougar debuted first in Europe (1998) and a year later (1999) the Mercury version was brought to the US, virtually identical to the Ford except for badging.

Quote from: Laconian on November 08, 2007, 10:33:49 AM

Same van, and both used the rear suspension (IIRC) from the Taurus wagon.

Quote from: The Pirate on November 08, 2007, 11:56:51 AM
That's correct.  It even had a 3.3L V6, similar to the VG in the 2nd gen Pathfinder, though it was retuned for minivan duty (a bit more hp, and less torque IIRC).

The original Quest/Villager had the Maxima's 3.0L V-6.  The 3.3L came in the second-generation model (which probably eliminated any Ford suspension components).

nickdrinkwater

I think the Cougar was designed in here in Europe, but I'm not completely sure.

The Pirate

Quote from: USA_Idol on November 08, 2007, 12:18:53 PM
From what I remember (and I could be wrong), the Ford Cougar debuted first in Europe (1998) and a year later (1999) the Mercury version was brought to the US, virtually identical to the Ford except for badging.

Same van, and both used the rear suspension (IIRC) from the Taurus wagon.

The original Quest/Villager had the Maxima's 3.0L V-6.  The 3.3L came in the second-generation model (which probably eliminated any Ford suspension components).

Yeah, it appears you were correct.  I wiki'd it quickly.  Interestingly, the VG was modified to become a non-interference design in that application, as Ford didn't want the risk of valve damage.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ChrisV

The Cougar was launched in the UK as an American model, but it was an American design, and it was made in the US and initially exported to the UK and Europe, just like the Probe that preceeded it. Its styling was announced on the Mercury MC2 show car and also shared a bit with the GT90 show car.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ChrisV on November 09, 2007, 06:41:49 AM
The Cougar was launched in the UK as an American model, but it was an American design, and it was made in the US and initially exported to the UK and Europe, just like the Probe that preceeded it. Its styling was announced on the Mercury MC2 show car and also shared a bit with the GT90 show car.

I see.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

USA_Idol

Quote from: ChrisV on November 09, 2007, 06:41:49 AM

I thought the whole "New Edge" design theme was developed in Europe and then transferred to the US by importing select Euro models (Focus, Cougar) that had it?  Well, whatever the case, the Cougar was a clone of a Ford product...or vice versa...and wasn't exclusive to the Mercury line unless you're purposely excluding non-US products.  If we're excluding non-US models, then the Mercury line...recently...has had "exclusives" like the Cougar, Capri and the short-lived Merkur line.  And none of those cars did particularly well for Mercury, IIRC.

93JC

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 07, 2007, 06:24:30 PM

Chrysler Canada's strategy at the time was to make Chrysler the 'car' brand, Dodge a 'truck' brand, and Jeep their 'SUV' brand.

For a time the only Dodge 'car' was the Viper.

We don't have Chrysler dealers, Dodge dealers and Jeep dealers: they're all Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep, so it didn't make much sense to have Dodge and Chrysler versions of the same product.

Earlier, before they got rid of Plymouth, there were Chrysler-Plymouth dealers and Chrysler-Dodge dealers, which is why, for instance, the Intrepid was a Chrysler: both sets of dealers received the car. For the same reason we had the Chrysler Dynasty and Chrysler Daytona.

Historically it's also why we had Fargo trucks: same thing as Dodge trucks, but sold at Chrysler-Plymouth dealers.

ChrisV

Quote from: USA_Idol on November 09, 2007, 10:14:47 AM
I thought the whole "New Edge" design theme was developed in Europe and then transferred to the US by importing select Euro models (Focus, Cougar) that had it?  Well, whatever the case, the Cougar was a clone of a Ford product...or vice versa...and wasn't exclusive to the Mercury line unless you're purposely excluding non-US products.  If we're excluding non-US models, then the Mercury line...recently...has had "exclusives" like the Cougar, Capri and the short-lived Merkur line.  And none of those cars did particularly well for Mercury, IIRC.

The point was that Mercury has some models that were in fact not just rebadges of other models. If Ford later DID rebadge the Mercury model as a Ford in OTHER markets, that is not germane to the point or the discussion.

And you're right none of those cars did well for Mercury, which traditionally sold upscale versions of Fords, slotted between Ford and Lincoln, pricewise. Exclusive models were not it's MO.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on November 07, 2007, 05:26:08 PM
Trep was BS'ing again?

Yes, I was. My car is evidently a Dodge, I just didn't want you guys to think that I owned an inferior product produced by a brand as unreputable as Dodge, and that Chrysler has much more heritage.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Intrepid and Neon were branded as Chrysler in Canada. I think some earlier ones (93-95) were branded Dodge and the "Daytona" package had Dodge floormats standard but I swapped them out for all-season rubber ones.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

The Neon was branded as a Dodge, Chrysler, and Plymouth in the US!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.