Started by TheIntrepid, November 04, 2007, 08:34:09 AM

Laconian

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 10, 2007, 09:10:54 AM
and the "Daytona" package had Dodge floormats standard

LOL! What a half-assed rebadge.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

USA_Idol

Quote from: ChrisV on November 10, 2007, 09:04:09 AM
If Ford later DID rebadge the Mercury model as a Ford in OTHER markets, that is not germane to the point or the discussion.

The fact that the Ford version of the Cougar wasn't sold in the USA doesn't change the fact the Mercury Cougar was a clone of that Ford model.  So, looking at it globally (and Ford is a global company), the FWD Cougar was not exclusive to Mercury.  And neither was the 1991-1994 Capri (Ford Capri elsewhere). 

You know, I'm not even sure why I'm discussing this.  I don't even like the FWD Cougar.   :confused:

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on November 10, 2007, 08:50:48 PM
The Neon was branded as a Dodge, Chrysler, and Plymouth in the US!

No it wasn't. It was a Dodge and a Plymouth.

In Canada it was Dodge and Plymouth 'til 1999, Chrysler 'til '03, and "Dodge SX 2.0" until the end.

93JC

Quote from: USA_Idol on November 11, 2007, 02:35:01 AM
The fact that the Ford version of the Cougar wasn't sold in the USA doesn't change the fact the Mercury Cougar was a clone of that Ford model.  So, looking at it globally (and Ford is a global company), the FWD Cougar was not exclusive to Mercury.  And neither was the 1991-1994 Capri (Ford Capri elsewhere). 

You know, I'm not even sure why I'm discussing this.  I don't even like the FWD Cougar.   :confused:

The point he's trying to make is that the Ford Cougar was a rebadge of the Mercury, not the other way around.

In the same way a Saturn salesman tried to convince me the Sky is an Opel rebadge: it isn't. The Opel GT is rebadge of the Sky, not the other way around.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on November 11, 2007, 01:16:41 PM
No it wasn't. It was a Dodge and a Plymouth.

In Canada it was Dodge and Plymouth 'til 1999, Chrysler 'til '03, and "Dodge SX 2.0" until the end.

I could have sworn I've seen cars branded "Chrysler Neon" before.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

ifcar

USA_Idol

Quote from: 93JC on November 11, 2007, 01:18:26 PM
The point he's trying to make is that the Ford Cougar was a rebadge of the Mercury, not the other way around.

In the same way a Saturn salesman tried to convince me the Sky is an Opel rebadge: it isn't. The Opel GT is rebadge of the Sky, not the other way around.

I guess I should worded my original post as "Going back even thirty years (1977), I can't remember a single Mercury that wasn't simply a rebadge (or a mild rework of the profile) of a US or Euro Ford model...or served as a template for a Ford variant.."  I will try to be more precise next time.

In any case, the Cougar was not exclusive to the Mercury line. 

omicron

2o6

I thought the Daewoo G2x, Saturn Sky and Opel GT were CO-DEVELOPED for different markets.....not rebadges.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on November 11, 2007, 09:45:44 PM
I thought the Daewoo G2x, Saturn Sky and Opel GT were CO-DEVELOPED for different markets.....not rebadges.
Don't drink the marketing Kool-Aid!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT