This is what a Roadster Should Look Like!

Started by Catman, July 02, 2005, 01:12:33 PM

SJ_GTI

QuoteI admit that I haven't spent much time looking at the Solstice's pricing, but I don't understand how not offering A/C is the right thing, next to no one will buy a Solstice without it.
The Solstice was made specifically to compete with the Miata. Neither car offer A/C standard.

So again, saying something like GM only did that "to advertise a lower base price than a Miata" when the Miata also doesn't offer A/C standard is disingenuous. Combine that with the fact that if you add A/C to the Solstice and it is still cheaper than a Miata without A/C, the statement is even more rediculous IMHO.

That fact that you didn't even bother to check prices before making your statement just says to me "I don't like GM, so I will assume they are doing something tricky!"

TBR

QuoteI admit that I haven't spent much time looking at the Solstice's pricing, but I don't understand how not offering A/C is the right thing, next to no one will buy a Solstice without it.
The Solstice was made specifically to compete with the Miata. Neither car offer A/C standard.

So again, saying something like GM only did that "to advertise a lower base price than a Miata" when the Miata also doesn't offer A/C standard is disingenuous. Combine that with the fact that if you add A/C to the Solstice and it is still cheaper than a Miata without A/C, the statement is even more rediculous IMHO.

That fact that you didn't even bother to check prices before making your statement just says to me "I don't like GM, so I will assume they are doing something tricky!"
Since when do I not like GM? I am just saying the strategy doesn't make sense, and Mazda using it doesn't make sense either.  

Raghavan

Quoteso you can't get a sky without a/c?
If it is indeed supposed to be more upscale I would think not.
poop. :angry:
If you want a car without A/C, then get the solstice.
the solstice looks like a jellybean.

BMWDave

Certainly not, IMO.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Certainly not, IMO.
It does have that roundish look to it.  

mazda6er

I think you guys may be forgetting there's another reason to offer a Solstice without A/C: track "enthusiasts" who will take any hit to lose a little weight on the vehicle. If I'm not incorrect, I believe the Solstice comes with crank windows in its base version, (as does the Lotus Elise). This is not strictly a cost-cutting measure.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SJ_GTI

Mmmmm...jellybeans... :praise:  

Raghavan

Mmmmm...jellybeans... :praise:
lemon jellybeans. :praise:  

Raghavan

QuoteI think you guys may be forgetting there's another reason to offer a Solstice without A/C: track "enthusiasts" who will take any hit to lose a little weight on the vehicle. If I'm not incorrect, I believe the Solstice comes with crank windows in its base version, (as does the Lotus Elise). This is not strictly a cost-cutting measure.
but what if sky owners want to do the same?

ifcar

QuoteI think you guys may be forgetting there's another reason to offer a Solstice without A/C: track "enthusiasts" who will take any hit to lose a little weight on the vehicle. If I'm not incorrect, I believe the Solstice comes with crank windows in its base version, (as does the Lotus Elise). This is not strictly a cost-cutting measure.
Then they have to buy something else or rip the parts out themselves.

Raghavan

how do you rip out power windows and door locks then?

TBR

Actually, I did think of that, but if someone is that concerned about weight they would get a MR2 or Miata, both of which are much lighter than the Solstice, even with A/C.  

Raghavan

Actually, I did think of that, but if someone is that concerned about weight they would get a MR2 or Miata, both of which are much lighter than the Solstice, even with A/C.
maybe they want to show some american spirit?

BMWDave

You rip out the mechanisms that control them.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

Which would be both inherently stupid, and entirely more trouble than it's worth.   ;)  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

Which would be both inherently stupid, and entirely more trouble than it's worth.   ;)
I agree, but if youre insane about cutting weight, then thats what you do.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

First thing you do is remove the sound deadening, then carpeting, then depending on how crazy you want to get, you move from there.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

then how do you make them crank windows?

TBR

If you care that much about weight you're probably racing, in which case you would either fix the windows in place or take them out all togehter.

Raghavan

If you care that much about weight you're probably racing, in which case you would either fix the windows in place or take them out all togehter.
but then i wouldn't be able to use it as a daily driver. I'd either be baked to death in the car, or it'd easily get stolen. Saturn should make a Sky for racing, too.

Colonel Cadillac

On the A/C idea, if you had a convertible like that, something you would only drive on the weekends and when it is warm and sunny, would you necessarily want to pay for A/C when you would very rarely want to use it. I would probably always have my top down and windows down, in those situations having the A/C on is just stupid. I probably would not get it if it was a 3rd car for fun.  

TBR

but then i wouldn't be able to use it as a daily driver. I'd either be baked to death in the car, or it'd easily get stolen. Saturn should make a Sky for racing, too.
You would drive a car without A/C as a daily driver? You apparantly don't live in Texas or anywhere else where it is moderately hot.  

mazda6er

QuoteYou would drive a car without A/C as a daily driver? You apparantly don't live in Texas or anywhere else where it is moderately hot.
I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have A/C, but 90% of the time when it's hot, I just roll down (well press the button) the window, and turn on the vents. Let's not forget people survived for many a year without even the option of A/C in cars, or otherwise.
--Mark

Catman

I have yet to see the Sky with the roof up.  I hope it's not as screwed up looking as the Solstice.  Secondly, I really want this car to be of solid quality inside and out.  It's gonna suck if the interiors fall apart and the gaps are huge.  It needs to be a solid car.

ifcar

QuoteYou would drive a car without A/C as a daily driver? You apparantly don't live in Texas or anywhere else where it is moderately hot.
I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have A/C, but 90% of the time when it's hot, I just roll down (well press the button) the window, and turn on the vents. Let's not forget people survived for many a year without even the option of A/C in cars, or otherwise.
I almost never use the a/c, my car lacks power as it is, and really struggles up hills with the air conditioner on, even without passengers.

Raza

I use aircon all the time...especially in the summer.  In 40-60 degree weather, I use the heat because I drive with the windows open.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Yes, but these days even the sports car extremist wouldn't chose to get a daily driver without it.