This is what a Roadster Should Look Like!

Started by Catman, July 02, 2005, 01:12:33 PM

TBR

Looks a lot better than the Solstice imho.  

ifcar

Same, though I think it would look better if they went for a cleaner look.

SJ_GTI

Meh...it looks good, but I like the Solstice better.  :praise:  

Raza

Very nice, but it seems as if the Solstice is coming out sooner.  So that will influence many decisions if the powerplants are the same.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

BMWDave

I really like this roadster...a lot better than the Solstice.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteThe Sky will also be more expensive.
Yeah, but it will probably have more standard equipment also (the Solstice won't even have A/C standard, just so that they can advertise a sticker price lower than the Miatas).  

ifcar

Yeah, but it will probably have more standard equipment also (the Solstice won't even have A/C standard, just so that they can advertise a sticker price lower than the Miatas).
I believe the Sky is intended to be a more-upscale vehicle, so it will probably be more expensive than a comparably-equipped Solstice.

TBR

I believe the Sky is intended to be a more-upscale vehicle, so it will probably be more expensive than a comparably-equipped Solstice.
Perhaps, who knows what will happen when GM is the one doing the figuring? ;)

footoflead

Its ok....clean it up a little...slap a bigger motor in it...then we'll talk
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

MrH

I never quite understand why the more luxurious version is being badged as a Saturn.  Saturns have never been known for being luxurious.  
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

ifcar

It's not luxurious, it's just upscale. The same way an S2K is more upscale than an MR2, though no more luxurious.

BMWDave

QuoteIt's not luxurious, it's just upscale. The same way an S2K is more upscale than an MR2, though no more luxurious.
Well put.  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteIt's not luxurious, it's just upscale. The same way an S2K is more upscale than an MR2, though no more luxurious.
The only problem with that is that the S2k isn't more upscale than the MR2, it just has more power.  

ifcar

The only problem with that is that the S2k isn't more upscale than the MR2, it just has more power.
It's a higher-end sports car, for its additional power, for its additional handling capabilities, for its better shifter, and for whatever other reasons. Luxury just doesn't happen to factor into the fact that its a more-upscale car.

TBR

It's a higher-end sports car, for its additional power, for its additional handling capabilities, for its better shifter, and for whatever other reasons. Luxury just doesn't happen to factor into the fact that its a more-upscale car.
But the Solstice and Sky will be identical mechanically.  

ifcar

But the Solstice and Sky will be identical mechanically.
I'm only going by what I've read, and according to that, the Sky will be a more-upscale version of the Solstice.  

Raza

I think you may be over-estimating the S2000's handling capabilities.  It has more power and a better interior, more space, but I don't think it would handle better than the MR-2.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

I think you may be over-estimating the S2000's handling capabilities.  It has more power and a better interior, more space, but I don't think it would handle better than the MR-2.
Based on my (non-track) evaluation, they both handle extremely well but differently. The MR-2 is more of a tossable fun car, like a Miata more than an Elise, while the S2K is sharper and more precise.

GMPenguin

I honestly think this is one of the best-looking cars available (or will be anyway), if not the best.

Another pic: :rockon:

Raghavan

TBR

Quoteso you can't get a sky without a/c?
If it is indeed supposed to be more upscale I would think not.

Raghavan

poop. :angry:  

BMWDave

If you want a car without A/C, then get the solstice.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Actually, I suspect it will be pretty much impossible to get even the Solstice without A/C, you would probably have to special order it, no dealer would be stupid enough to carry one without such a popular feature like A/C. They will probably sell less than 100 Solstices without A/C, they just want to be able to advertise a base price lower than the Miata's.  

BMWDave

Actually, I suspect it will be pretty much impossible to get even the Solstice without A/C, you would probably have to special order it, no dealer would be stupid enough to carry one without such a popular feature like A/C. They will probably sell less than 100 Solstices without A/C, they just want to be able to advertise a base price lower than the Miata's.
Very true.

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

Very true.
While your statements are "true," you are making some disingenuous connotations.

Your statement, "They will probably sell less than 100 Solstices without A/C, they just want to be able to advertise a base price lower than the Miata's" for instance implies that with A/C, the Solstice would not be able to advertise a lower price than the Miata.

Let's be clear: The Miata also does not offer A/C on its base version.

That being said, a Solstice equipped with A/C is still cheaper than a Miata without A/C (20,955 vs 20,995).

In the end there is absolutely zero reason to put any qulifiers when talking about the Solstice being a less expensive car than the Miata. Using MSRP you just won't be able to equip them evenly and get the Miata to be cheaper.

Now...did GM do this "so they could advertise it cheaper than the Miata." Well yes...but they actually are making it cheaper than a Miata...why wouldn't they want to advertise this?

Its like saying the only reason mazda made the 2006 Miata cheaper than the 2005 version was "just so they could advertise it as being a better deal."

Sorry for the long post, I just don't understand why people don't want to give credit to GM for doing something right once.

TBR

I admit that I haven't spent much time looking at the Solstice's pricing, but I don't understand how not offering A/C is the right thing, next to no one will buy a Solstice without it.  

ifcar

No one? Even ten people chosing ten vehicles produced without an air conditioner is still someone, and it lets them advertise a lower base price.