2008 Mustang Bullitt

Started by omicron, November 07, 2007, 09:02:16 AM

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on November 08, 2007, 07:33:06 PM
I'm pretty sure that's illegal in Ontario...

It is.

Quote from: Raza  on November 08, 2007, 07:37:03 PM
He also removed his front plate.  He's sticking it to the man.

For pictures. It was off for a total of an hour.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 08, 2007, 07:37:56 PM
Don't make me laugh like that raza: coffee and keyboards don't mix.

I remember the last time I made you spit coffee on your keyboard.  The Dukes of Hazzard were involved. 

At least it's a work keyboard, right?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on November 08, 2007, 07:49:54 PM
I remember the last time I made you spit coffee on your keyboard.  The Dukes of Hazzard were involved. 

At least it's a work keyboard, right?

Yes, and since I work nights all I do is wait for it to dry and then switch it with one of the keyboards in an empty cubicle.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 08, 2007, 07:50:55 PM
Yes, and since I work nights all I do is wait for it to dry and then switch it with one of the keyboards in an empty cubicle.

That's how to do it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that the picture depicting the steering wheel on the first page is incorrect.  That picture shows a normal GT steering wheel, the Bullitt will in fact have the GT500 steering wheel.

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 08, 2007, 10:44:17 PM
Oh yea, I forgot to mention that the picture depicting the steering wheel on the first page is incorrect.  That picture shows a normal GT steering wheel, the Bullitt will in fact have the GT500 steering wheel.

They have different steering wheels?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

LonghornTX

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raghavan on November 08, 2007, 04:26:33 PM
If you can't see other cars because they don't have their headlights on then you're blind. :rolleyes:
True...if you're looking at them.  Many people simply glance when approaching an intersection and will miss an approaching vehicle.  There's a much better chance they will notice if the headlights are on.  Of course, this is because of bad driving habits...but how many of them are out there.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

Nethead

Text excerpts taken from www.corral.net

"First Drive - 2008 Mustang Bullitt"

"We spent two fantastic days behind the wheel of the Bullitt on the coast of California.

On the twisties the car is an absolute blast to drive! The added torque of the new calibration helps the car launch harder out of the turns. Fire the Bullitt out of the hole from a standstill and the car squats down and plants you into the seat all the way to the 6,500 RPM redline. A chirp from the tires as you bang second gear lets you know the extra horses under the hood are doing their job.
Brake performance was excellent and we did not experience any fade as we shattered the tranquility of the California woods tearing through the back roads. The scream of tortured tires and growl from the tuned exhaust's new low backpresure mufflers terrorized the woodland creatures ensuring that we did not see any wildlife on our run.

On the streets of San Francisco the modified suspension did an excellent job of absorbing road imperfections. To be fair though, we did notice a strange vibration after particularly large bumps, which could indicate that a Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH) issue needs to be addressed before final production. This kind of thing is to be expected when driving a pre-production car though.

Usually increasing performance in the turns means a sacrifice to ride quality; however, Team Mustang has managed to find just the right balance with the 2008 Bullitt. Revised brake pads improve stopping distances and provide fade resistance under hard braking. A strut tower brace with the Bullitt logo, VIN, and the car's unique Bullitt build number are printed on the center of the brace. The rear of the car was lowered slightly to provide a more aggressive stance and new struts allowed engineers to add a more aggressive dampening rate for improved cornering abilities."

"The 2008 Bullitt Mustang is about more than just appearances - it is able to back up its aggressive look with horsepower and handling improvements. Ford Racing developed a new cold-air intake specifically for the car, which drops incoming air intake temperatures from 70-degrees Fahrenheit above ambient to a mere 17-degrees above ambient. Combined with a new octane-sensing performance engine calibration, the 2008 Bullitt Mustang boasts a bump in horsepower from 300 to 315 BHP and an increase to 325 lb./ft. of torque beyond the stock Mustang GT when the car is fed premium 91 octane fuel. Redline has been increased by an additional 250 RPM to 6,500 RPM. Top speed gets a boost as well to 151 MPH from 147 MPH."

"The engineers at Team Mustang used a special re-mastered DVD copy of the 1968 classic movie to provide inspiration for the car's sound. By tuning and modifying the H-Pipe they gave the car the authentic sound that will enable you to create your own Bullitt soundtrack wherever you go. The throaty sound is definitely an improvement over the stock Mustang GT."

"The new optional HID headlights add a great touch to the car, as well as providing a dramatic improvement in nighttime lighting abilities."

"With a base MSRP of $31,075 the 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt package is an incredible value. The addition of factory go-fast goodies and a warranty make the car hard to pass up, especially when considering the limited run of just 7,700 units. Collectibility, value, performance and attitude make the 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt a must-have for performance enthusiasts."
So many stairs...so little time...

Nethead

More excerpts:

Text excerpts taken from www.autoblog.com

"First Drive: 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt - Day 1"
"Just as Autoblog announced the debut of the 2008 Bullitt Mustang, Ford was allowing a select number of journalists to drive the car in San Francisco, a fitting location for the car's debut. We were fortunate enough to receive an invite, and are fresh out of the driver's seat ready to report."

"The outside of the car is certainly understated, but the inside is as well, though in a different way. The details are what really help spark up the interior, like the new shifter, the GT500 seats that have been reupholstered just for the Bullitt, the leather-wrapped steering wheel with the Bullitt logo, the unique gauges, and the engined-turned metal dash that looks fantastic. Those seats are quite comfortable yet supportive and felt much better than the stock GT. We didn't complain at all after several hours in the car."

"While some might have been hoping for more performance, the 3:73 gears along with the extra 15 ponies make the Bullitt feel quite a bit faster than a stock GT. We're guessing that it will break the five second mark from 0-60 mph, and run the quarter mile in the very low 13s. The exhaust note is rather quiet from inside the cabin, but actually sounds aggressive from outside of the car. This is another factor that would make it ideal as a daily driver."

"First Drive: 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt - Day 2"
"While Ford definitely could have done more with the Bullitt, it makes sense that they didn't. They are going after the owner who doesn't want the frills. There is no spoiler. No quarter window louvers. There is no excess of badges letting everyone know that the car is special. The only available colors are Highland Green and Black ? not exactly eye catching. Even the calipers, which were painted red on the 2001 version, have been painted grey to blend in with the wheels"

Text excerpts taken from www.edmunds.com

"It's a Mustang Bullitt, and that means it's gotta fly. Wheels up. First you hear the suspension droop. Then the engine slows to an idle as you instinctively take your foot off the accelerator. And just as the car reaches the apogee of its trajectory, everything in the cockpit experiences weightlessness ? you feel that in the pit of your stomach."

"Addition Through Subtraction"

"So to aesthetically transform the 2008 Mustang GT into a Bullitt, Ford started by leaving off all the "GT" badges and excising the standard rear wing from the deck lid. Then up front it installed a new black mesh grille without driving lights or a horse. Out back there are unique stainless-steel exhaust tips, and the fake fuel filler between the taillights is a new design incorporating a gun site and the word "Bullitt" in the same art deco lettering Warner Brothers used on some posters for the film."

"Carbon front brake pads are fitted to reduce brake fade. The suspension has also been lowered by just 6mm, which means the Bullitt's ride height is somewhere between a stock GT's and a Shelby GT's."

"Better Breathing, Better Sounding, Better Power"

"A new cold-air induction system that features an open-element air cleaner isolated from engine heat in its own sealed box just behind the left front headlight is the most obvious modification. And it's matched to a revised exhaust system tuned to reproduce the voice of McQueen's GT 390 (or at least what's on the movie's soundtrack)."

"The subtle stuff starts with revised programming of the engine control computer. First the redline has been bumped up 250 revs to 6,500 rpm. Second, a "dual knock" strategy in the fuel map and ignition programming allows the engine to run on either regular or premium fuel ? with the V8 making the same peak power either way, but with a slightly more generous torque curve when burning the good stuff."

"Ford backs that muscle with the Tremec five-speed manual transmission (no automatic will be offered) and the usual 8.8-inch rear end packed with a set of short 3.73:1 gears. (The GT runs a 3.55:1 set with the manual transmission.)"

"Drive It Like a Movie Star"

"The Bullitt uses those short gears to rip to 60 mph in just 5.2 seconds. That's a stunning 0.7-second better than the 2005 Mustang GT. And the Bullitt's 13.8 seconds to 102.1-mph quarter-mile performance is the best we've yet recorded for a production three-valve Mustang. The Bullitt's powertrain feels even more powerful than it is, and the shifter is among the very best on any car at any price."

"If only the chassis had limits to match. The all-season BFG tires just don't offer the grip the car deserves; the 0.84g skid pad performance and 67.2-mph trip through the slalom are both good for a Mustang, but modest for a performance car. The ABS-controlled four-wheel disc brakes, which resist fade rather well, also feel limited by the tires, and stopping from 60 mph took a so-so 122 feet."

Text excerpts taken from www.motortrend.com

"First Test: 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt"

"While not an original movie car cue, the machined-turned IP exhibits a wonderful period look and brightens up the otherwise dark gray cabin. The shifter ball is machined aluminum, and satin-finished scuff plates, shifter surround, and pedal bezels remind you what brand of Mustang you're sitting in. The seats are similar to those in the upmarket GT500. A new-for-2008 interior touch is an LED ambient lighting system that allows you to select eight different colors to light up your cupholders and the front footwells-a $295 gimmick we're not sure Lt. Frank Bullitt would care much about."

"The strut, shock, and spring tuning is sportier than the GT's, but not to the level of FR's aftermarket package."

"The X-pipe is new, as are the mufflers."

"The shorter rear-axle ratios help the launch, and the revised intake, exhaust, and engine management systems beef up midrange torque and top-end power. The extra 250 revs are much appreciated. Zero-to-60 takes 5.0 seconds, as opposed to 5.1 to 5.2 for the variety of GTs we've tested, but it feels even stronger than that. Switch off the traction control, and fish-tailing burnouts are easy."

"Where the Bullitt really shines is chassis balance."

"The steering is more responsive than the standard GTs. In spite of its live axle, this Mustang doesn't get too riled up over mid-corner bumps. The ride quality is firm without jarring. There's adequate compliance, but it's never mushy, and body motions are well controlled. The Bullitt isn't a lightweight toss-around toy, but rides and handles with a sophistication usually reserved for higher-priced Euro toys."

"If there's any area where the Bullitt misfires, it's the tires. We understand the choice of BFGoodrich g-Force T/A mud and snow rubber as an all-weather solution, but they go up in smoke too easily. That means less grip on the skidpad and through our figure-eight test and the need for a tender right foot on the dragstrip. Grippier and/or wider performance compound tires would drop accel times and improve handling numbers. Braking distances are too long as well. While the carbon-metallic front pads proved fade resistant-as they heated up, stopping distances improved an average of two feet over each of five consecutive runs-the 127-foot 60-to-0 number isn't up to snuff for a modern musclecar. Stickier rubber would have made the difference here, too."

"The 2008 Mustang Bullitt is well conceived, designed, engineered, and ready to rock. It's crisper, sharper, and a bit quicker than a standard GT. Though not as fast as a GT500, it's better balanced and less expensive. The Green Machine has a classy, stealth look, and a heritage all its own. Ford plans 7000 Bullitts for the U.S. market, and it's likely to be the last special edition dedicated to the movie and the man."

FoMoJo

A good review...

The biggest problem with the 2008 Mustang Bullitt is that Ford Motor Co. will make only 7,700 of them.

So that means come early next year only 7,000 Americans and 700 Canadians will have the chance to buy the best Mustang in Ford's stable of ponies. Which begs the question: Why do Canadians get any?

...read more

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071114/OPINION03/711140316/1148/AUTO01

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Nethead

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 14, 2007, 07:51:28 AM
A good review...

The biggest problem with the 2008 Mustang Bullitt is that Ford Motor Co. will make only 7,700 of them.

So that means come early next year only 7,000 Americans and 700 Canadians will have the chance to buy the best Mustang in Ford's stable of ponies. Which begs the question: Why do Canadians get any?

Why? Because no nation in history has been as fortunate as the United States to have the nation and the citizens of Canada as neighbors and allies.  Canada should also get 7,000 Bullitts.

SVT666

Yes we should.  Then I can buy two and sell the other one back to someone in the US.

FoMoJo

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 14, 2007, 05:56:55 PM
Yes we should.  Then I can buy two and sell the other one back to someone in the US.
I agree...but I would be happy just to take one for a test drive :mrcool:!