2008 Mustang Bullitt

Started by omicron, November 07, 2007, 09:02:16 AM

omicron

Four decades after hitting the big screen and redefining the on-screen car chase, the Ford Mustang Bullitt returns to the streets in 2008, blending the best Mustang ever with the latest Ford Racing technology.

This modern classic delivers a balance of power and performance, thanks to special chassis and suspension tweaks as well as the 315 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque that Bullitt delivers through its 4.6-liter V-8 engine.

The 2008 Bullitt arrives in dealers early next year, with a starting MSRP of $31,075 (including destination and delivery) and limited production of 7,700 units for the U.S. and Canada.

Ford engineers modified the 2008 Mustang Bullitt's chassis and suspension to fine-tune handling and ensure the extra horsepower and torque from the 4.6-liter V-8 is put to good use. The live rear axle uses a unique 3.73:1 gear that helps launch the Bullitt with vigor.

Stock Mustang GT shocks and struts were swapped out for new units that allowed engineers to dial in a more aggressive driving dynamic while still maintaining the outstanding ride and balance of the base Mustang GT. A tower-to-tower pace designed specifically for the Bullitt lends additional torsional and lateral stiffness to the chassis for improved cornering and holds a unique serial number for each Bullitt.

The brakes also have been improved versus the base Mustang GT's. More aggressive front pads were developed specifically for Bullitt and improve fade resistance and pedal feel.

The 2008 Mustang Bullitt wears unique cast-aluminum Euroflange wheels, offering a modern twist on the original movie car. The Dark Argent Gray spokes feature a satin finish, while a pight-machined lip completes the look. Calipers are colored to match the wheel. The wheels are wrapped in the same P235/50ZR 18 BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS tires used on Mustangs at the Ford Racing High Performance Driving School at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah.

Engine calibration is designed to increase throttle response for a snappier acceleration feel. The redline has been boosted by 250 rpm to 6,500, with top-end speed bumped to 151 miles-per-hour. Gears are selected via a Tremac 5-speed manual transmission, and the shifter is topped with a polished aluminum shift ball designed specifically for the 2008 Bullitt.

The car features the first use of an open-element air filter in a factory-produced, fuel-injected Mustang. Inspired by Ford Racing, the intake is tucked neatly behind the driver side headlamp, mounted in an air box that was tooled up specifically for the Mustang. The hood liner was extensively modified to provide a full seal to the air box, ensuring that the engine is fed a steady diet of cooler air.

Engine performance is further enhanced through the use of an innovative adaptive spark ignition system, new for the 2008 Mustang.

The system can sense, within a few seconds, what type of fuel is being injected into the motor and adjusts the spark to provide maximum torque at any given speed - and as much as 10 pounds-feet more between 1,000 and 4,000 rpm.

Bullitt can run on either premium or regular fuel. Ford recommends premium fuel for optimum performance, but the adaptive spark ignition will adjust the spark to burn regular fuel without damaging the engine.

"With all the improvements we've made to the engine and the taller 3.73-to-1 rear gear, the Bullitt will plant you firmly in the driver's seat when you stand on the throttle. We've seen zero to 60 times drop by up to three tenths of a second," said Randle. "There's also plenty of power on tap at any speed. The car definitely feels lighter on its feet, and it is."

The custom-designed exhaust system continues Mustang's traditional use of a true dual-exhaust system with a new H-pipe specifically developed for Bullitt. The all-new mufflers, featuring larger 3.5-inch chrome tips (versus the 3-inch tips on the standard Mustang GT) are tuned to minimize backpressure, maximize horsepower and provide the Bullitt with its powerful exhaust note.

The new Bullitt wears a close match to the movie car's 1968 Highland Green paint, officially called Dark Highland Green. This distinctive color has only graced one other Mustang, the 2001 Mustang Bullitt. Gaffka assures Bullitt enthusiasts that the color will remain an exclusive Mustang Bullitt color. Non-purists can opt for only one other color - black.

The Mustang Bullitt uses the standard Mustang GT's front fascia. A new black-mesh grille is devoid of the standard chrome pony and is accented by a satin aluminum strip that represents the chrome grille surround on the 1968 car. The rear fascia also is shared with the standard Mustang GT and houses Bullitt's unique dual exhaust tips. Dark Argent Gray painted pake calipers closely match the wheel spokes, while staying true to the original.

The interior is pure Mustang Bullitt, understated and dressed in Charcoal Black leather and Satin metallic trim. The centerpiece of the interior is the hand-machined, aluminum swirl dash panel appliqu?.

"The machined appliqu? differentiates the Bullitt from any other Mustang in the line-up," said Gaffka. "It's also perfect for the Bullitt. The graphic presentation pings back the feel of the '60s while still staying true to the Mustang's modern interior design."

Satin aluminum bezels circle the air vents and gauges, complementing a satin aluminum shift ball that replaces the standard leather-wrapped shifter on the Mustang GT. The pedals wear race-inspired aluminum covers that further reinforce Bullitt's performance intentions.

The interior is graphically clean. The only identifying marks visible inside Bullitt are the logo and gun-sight graphic mounted in the center of the leather-wrapped steering wheel and the word "Bullitt" embossed into the metal sill plates.

The Dark Charcoal leather seats pick up the diamond perforation inserts from the base Mustang GT. The seats are patterned after those in the Shelby GT500 providing added lumbar and bolster support. The seats are constructed using the new soy-based foam developed by Ford and introduced on the 2008 Mustang. The soy foam, made up of 24 percent renewable content, is produced through a process that requires less energy and emits less CO2.

The Bullitt package enhances the Mustang GT Premium package with the following:

3.73:1 Limited Slip Rear Axle
Ford Racing Power Pack (cold air induction system)
High Performance Calipation
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic? front pake pads
Ford Racing Strut Tower pace
Sport -tuned suspension (shocks/springs/stabilizer bar)
Modified "H" Pipe
Dark Grey pake Calipers
18-inch Euro-Flange Bullitt Wheels with Charcoal Satin Finish
3.5-inch Packed Exhaust Tips
Distinct Upper Grille
Bullitt emblem on faux fuel cap
Black interior with upgraded steering wheel
Charcoal Black sport leather seats
Unique IP finish (hand-machined aluminum swirl)
Satin Aluminum interior accents (ball shifter/sill plate/pedal covers)

Raghavan

IMO that car looks awesome but for $6k over a base GT, you could do a lot better than 15 hp more.
You could probably get lots more HP and have the suspension upgrades too.

FordSVT

Sure you could take your base GT and probably get 400 hp and buy some 18s and stiffer shocks and sway bar for $6k and you're good to go.

But you wouldn't have the look and you wouldn't have the warranty and it probably wouldn't be as cohesive a car. It also won't hold its value. People forget that about the GT500 as well: sure you could build a faster car on paper for the money, but you've got no warranty, you don't have the look, the chances that the car will feel as "together" as something Ford makes is slim to none, and the depreciation on your car will make you ill. Modified cars rarely fetch a premium over their stock counterparts and sometimes they sell for less unless they're show-car quality. People assume they drive the crap out of it for one thing, and you've got no guarantee as to the quality of the original work in the first place.

I also question the validity of that 315 horsepower figure. I've seen stock GTs with nothing but an aggressive 93 octane tweak gain 15 rwhp on the dyno. Ford's own website says the power pack option for the GT normally gets 20 extra horsepower, not sure why it would only get 15 in this application especially since it's got the added H-pipe modifications and the more advanced spark system. Did they leave out the 90mm TB?

Here's a stock 05 automatic (extra 5% dt loss over the manual) with a 93 octane tweak, CAI and ECU kit that dynos almost 300 rwhp and runs high 12s. $750.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/misc/05_gt_dyno_update.html

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on November 07, 2007, 09:18:08 AM
IMO that car looks awesome but for $6k over a base GT, you could do a lot better than 15 hp more.
You could probably get lots more HP and have the suspension upgrades too.
This car isn't about horsepower, it's about handling and improving on what's there already to make the car use everything it's already got to it's full potential.  And by the way, if you read the article you would see that the 0-60 mph time has improved by 0.3 of a second.  That means this pony will run 0-60 mph in 4.7 - 4.8 seconds.  That's as fast as the original Viper.

I wasn't impressed by the specs ont his car when I first saw them, but after seeing what the improvements are as opposed to the hard numbers, I'm fairly impressed.  I still wish the front end would have had a little more flare, but overall...I love it.

SVT666

I just read on another site that the Ford engineers used a specially enhanced DVD to pinpoint the sound of the exhaust.  Apparently it sounds just like the movie car.

JYODER240

Besides looking better, what is different about this from the Shelby GT?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

How many more to come? It's almost as if a new Rustang comes out more often than Chinese babies!

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on November 07, 2007, 11:20:26 AM
Besides looking better, what is different about this from the Shelby GT?
It's faster for one.

The suspension setup is very different, ignition system is unique, different brakes, and different exhaust system.  The ignition system is particularly cool:

"Bullitt can run on either premium or regular fuel. Ford recommends premium fuel for optimum performance, but the adaptive spark ignition will adjust the spark to burn regular fuel without damaging the engine."

nickdrinkwater

This looks awesome.  I don't usually like the look of Mustangs, but this one is very impressive looking.  I think the simplicity of the styling is what makes it stand out from other Mustangs (along with the colour of course).  The interior doesn't look too bad for a Mustang either (except for the heating controls/stereo, they could've tried a bit harder there).

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 07, 2007, 11:27:44 AM
How many more to come? It's almost as if a new Rustang comes out more often than Chinese babies!
As long as they keep coming, I will be happy.

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on November 07, 2007, 11:39:18 AM
This looks awesome.  I don't usually like the look of Mustangs, but this one is very impressive looking.  I think the simplicity of the styling is what makes it stand out from other Mustangs (along with the colour of course).  The interior doesn't look too bad for a Mustang either (except for the heating controls/stereo, they could've tried a bit harder there).
They're not going to put a different stereo and HVAC controls in this car if they aren't doing it in the rest of the Mustangs.

Honestly though, what's wrong with the ones in this car?

Nethead

The Intrepid: Well, IntrepiDude, some manufacturers make the same ol' car for every customer that comes through the dealership door. Mustang owners demand more than this and Ford tries to respond to their customer's needs.  That's yet another reason the Mustang is still for sale after over forty-three consecutive years--choices. Waaay back in April of 1964, the Mustang debuted with the longest options list in the history of the automobile--and the phrase "Flapjacks are selling like Mustangs!" was born. 

And I see you must have taken to heart my little lecture on "market depth"--you've got it when you're selling Mustangs to every Chinese baby! Sharp of you :ohyeah: to pick up on where this will all lead...
So many stairs...so little time...

FoMoJo

I gives a much better representation than the '01 did.  The facia, wheels and stance are quite true to the original.  Very nice.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Ron From Regina

What irks me is the 7700 north american unit production. I bet less than 15% of those actually make there way to Canada, meaining huge dealer markups. As a result, I'll never be able to own one.

The GT500 has better availability than that around here. When I went and checked one out a few weeks ago at Sask's only SVT dealer, they said the bidding starts at 80k. No, thank-you.

Nethead

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 07, 2007, 12:05:59 PM

I gives a much better representation than the '01 did.  The facia, wheels and stance are quite true to the original.  Very nice.

FoMoJo:  Good to see you in this topic, FoMoJo!  Yeah, this is one sharp Mustang--I even like the engine-turning on the dash now that I've seen it.  And it IS a better replica than the '01 Bullitts.  Thank God they didn't put louvers on the quarter-panel windows or stainless trim around all the windows as seen on that spy pic of a supposed Bullitt somewhere in northern California! :clap:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 07, 2007, 12:05:59 PM

I would buy this. Seriously.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 07, 2007, 11:44:11 AM
They're not going to put a different stereo and HVAC controls in this car if they aren't doing it in the rest of the Mustangs.

Honestly though, what's wrong with the ones in this car?

There's nothing wrong with them, they just look out of place.

Raza

Okay, I don't think I'll ever like green on a car, but this is a pretty kicking 'Stang.  And, as I recall, it's also available in black. 

I love it.  I want it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on November 07, 2007, 12:31:33 PM
Okay, I don't think I'll ever like green on a car, but this is a pretty kicking 'Stang.  And, as I recall, it's also available in black. 

I love it.  I want it.

I don't like green on cars. One of my cars is green and it looks pretty clean, though.

Nethead

Quote from: Ron From Regina on November 07, 2007, 12:07:30 PM
What irks me is the 7700 north american unit production. I bet less than 15% of those actually make there way to Canada, meaining huge dealer markups. As a result, I'll never be able to own one.

The GT500 has better availability than that around here. When I went and checked one out a few weeks ago at Sask's only SVT dealer, they said the bidding starts at 80k. No, thank-you.

Ron from Regina:  RonDude, what if you bought it in the US and drove it back over the border?

Nethead

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on November 07, 2007, 12:27:02 PM
There's nothing wrong with them, they just look out of place.

nickdrinkwater:  NickDude, a number of aftermarket shops offer replacement accessory buttons/controls in stainless, brushed stainless, polished stainless, and the same treatments in aluminum.  Some are exact replicas of the OEM knobs/buttons/whatever and others are so-called custom designs. They ain't cheap, but they won't set you back so much that you can't become nickdrinkliquor if you so decide. Likely less than one car payment...

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 07, 2007, 12:12:50 PM
I would buy this. Seriously.

Change of heart?

r0tor

oh boy, paint and sticker package # 3,498,052 is available at a dealer near you  :rolleyes:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 07, 2007, 11:36:29 AM
"Bullitt can run on either premium or regular fuel. Ford recommends premium fuel for optimum performance, but the adaptive spark ignition will adjust the spark to burn regular fuel without damaging the engine."

its called knock retard... every car in the last decade has it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Ron From Regina

Quote from: Nethead on November 07, 2007, 01:05:23 PM
Ron from Regina:  RonDude, what if you bought it in the US and drove it back over the border?
I thought of that, and maybe will think about it harder when I'm done paying for my GT next year. Traditionally though, importing US cars into Canada has been a pain in the ass. You need to have the car retro-fitted with standard metric guages, day running lights, and God knows what else just to get it certified and registered here. Also, there is some debate going on right now about what kind of warranty you can get on a new car that was purchased out of country.

SVT666

Quote from: Ron From Regina on November 07, 2007, 01:26:14 PM
I thought of that, and maybe will think about it harder when I'm done paying for my GT next year. Traditionally though, importing US cars into Canada has been a pain in the ass. You need to have the car retro-fitted with standard metric guages, day running lights, and God knows what else just to get it certified and registered here. Also, there is some debate going on right now about what kind of warranty you can get on a new car that was purchased out of country.
Daytime running lights are mandatory in the US too so thats not a problem anymore.  Importing a car into Canada is as simple as faxing the border crossing that you will be taking a copy of the registration 72 hours before you cross the border and then you drive it across.  The guages do not have to be switched and all that's needed is an out of province safety inspection when you get it here.

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on November 07, 2007, 01:25:29 PM
its called knock retard... every car in the last decade has it
It's not the same thing.  The Mustang engine is an 87 octane engine and feeding it premium has never provided a performance boost....until now.  With this engine management software and ignition system, the Bullitt's computer will automatically adjust timing to take advantage of the higher octane and you end up with an increase in performance.  Previously this was only capable by using a handheld tuner or getting a custom dyno tune.

Do you understand it now...retard?

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 07, 2007, 01:39:29 PM
It's not the same thing.  The Mustang engine is an 87 octane engine and feeding it premium has never provided a performance boost....until now.  With this engine management software and ignition system, the Bullitt's computer will automatically adjust timing to take advantage of the higher octane and you end up with an increase in performance.  Previously this was only capable by using a handheld tuner or getting a custom dyno tune.

Do you understand it now...retard?

oh please... my RX8 is "premium fuel required for best performance" as well as lots of other higher end cars for the last 10 years.  They tune the car for 91 octane and then if you put 87 octane in it, the knock sensor detects it and retards the timing to save the engine - thus giving you slightly less performance.

Even a stock Mustang GT has this feature, its just the PCM is programmed to run on 87 octane do its a moot point unless you get bad gas.

SVT666

The system in this Mustang is different.  It works in the opposite manner.  You know what?  Forget it, you're a Mustang hater so you will continue to refuse to understand why this system is different.

r0tor

incase you don't want to be a marketing pawn... this article from 2001 and notice what happens when you put 87 octane in a car calling for 91 octane - you can do it, you just don't get peak performance

identical to:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/3604/regular-or-premium.html