Engine Power (Or Lack Thereof) Problem

Started by J86, July 03, 2005, 07:54:12 AM

J86

Hello all,

My '96 Accord is having some issues with getting all of its meager horses.  Sometimes, when I shift from first to second or from second to third, there is hardly any power getting put down, regardless of how hard I mash the accelerator.  The engine doesn't rev, nothing happens, I usually drop a gear and the problem usually fixes itself.  I'm not trying to upshift at too low speeds.  This seems only to occur in second and third gears.  It does not happen often at all, either.  Any ideas?

BMWDave

Has this been occuring before?  And if it hasnt, sounds like something is seriously wrong with your engine.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Run Away

Knowing you, it's still running on the original spark plugs, Josh....:P

Do a basic tune-up (plugs, wires) and if the problem is still there check the timing.

J86

QuoteKnowing you, it's still running on the original spark plugs, Josh....:P

Do a basic tune-up (plugs, wires) and if the problem is still there check the timing.
Hey! I resent that! :lol:   I haven't changed the plugs in the two years I've had the car, I'll hafta check with dad and see if he ever changed em, I know ive got correct spares in the car.

BartsSVO

Making any progress? If a tune up doesn't do it, I'd check engine vaccum and fuel pressure next. It almost sounds like a plugged catalytic converter.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

J86

Eh, that problem occurs so rarely I decided to forget about it because I can't replicate it for the life of me if I want to, only does it randomly on its own.  Now I'm dealing with a squeaky front wheel-area.  (I think either bearing or dead CV joint. :lol: