What say you?

Started by LonghornTX, November 08, 2007, 10:27:47 PM

LonghornTX

So, it has come time for me to get a new car.  I have been thinking for awhile about this and here is the list that I have come up with so far.  My price range tops at about 45K.

BMW 135i
BMW Z4 M Coupe (great deals can be had on these, but this would be the price topper)
Nismo 350z
Honda S2000CR
Mustang Bullitt
Evo X
STi

Which one do you prefer, and why.  I am also open to suggestions.  As you can tell I am leaning towards something pretty sporty and that is about it.  Oh yea, under 45k and it has to be used (probably no used cars for me this time).  What say you?
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

the Teuton

I'm confused...anyway, a new STI or a used Corvette would be ideal.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Used 'Vette.

Out of your list, the Z4 M coupe, or the Bullitt.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Vinsanity

Do you need a back seat? If not, then Z4 M all the way.

Second choice for me would probably be the Evo. Because it's hard for me to like how the 1-series looks. But it's probably the one you like most, so that's what you should get.

LonghornTX

I have thought about vettes...

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Of those you've listed, I'd take the Bullitt.  The 135i doesn't interest me as much as the 128i, the M coupe is definitely cool, but I'm not so sure I'd pull the trigger on one.  The 350Z (the regular one) and STI (the old one) are boring to drive unless you're driving near the limit, and I'm unsure of the new, more refined Evo X.  It seems like it's taking away what made the old Evos so special.  Now an Evo IX or VIII, that's something that's really fun, in any situation.  And the handling is great for a car that's unusually comfortable. 

On the other hand, while the Mustang is probably the least capable of the cars you've listed, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable going out on a limb and saying it's probably the most fun to drive, even in a day to day situation.  Even a standard GT is pretty thrilling just messing about in traffic.  The interior isn't so bad, the ride's surprisingly comfortable, and it's cool.  I especially like the new Bullitt.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 08, 2007, 10:35:49 PM
Do you need a back seat? If not, then Z4 M all the way.

Second choice for me would probably be the Evo. Because it's hard for me to like how the 1-series looks. But it's probably the one you like most, so that's what you should get.
Back seat is not a big deal right now, I am single and relatively young.  I like the EVO, but I will have to see how the design plays out.  Right now, my top three are the 135i, Mcoupe, and Bullitt.  The 135i will mostly be dependant on price (which should be released in about a week).

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on November 08, 2007, 10:37:58 PM
Of those you've listed, I'd take the Bullitt.  The 135i doesn't interest me as much as the 128i, the M coupe is definitely cool, but I'm not so sure I'd pull the trigger on one.  The 350Z (the regular one) and STI (the old one) are boring to drive unless you're driving near the limit, and I'm unsure of the new, more refined Evo X.  It seems like it's taking away what made the old Evos so special.  Now an Evo IX or VIII, that's something that's really fun, in any situation.  And the handling is great for a car that's unusually comfortable. 

On the other hand, while the Mustang is probably the least capable of the cars you've listed, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable going out on a limb and saying it's probably the most fun to drive, even in a day to day situation.  Even a standard GT is pretty thrilling just messing about in traffic.  The interior isn't so bad, the ride's surprisingly comfortable, and it's cool.  I especially like the new Bullitt.
What would keep you from pulling the trigger on the m coupe?  Anything particular?

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 08, 2007, 10:39:48 PM
What would keep you from pulling the trigger on the m coupe?  Anything particular?

It's just that I've read some reviews saying that the ride/handling compromise isn't so great (rides too harshly for the handling) and the Evo (Magazine) guys actually liked the Z4 3.0si better than the M coupe/roadster.  It's got an inherent push to understeer, apparently, and it takes a lot of work (and a lot of shredded rubber) to get the rear to correct the line. 

Although, the new M coupe does look pretty good.  And if you can get one for 40K, it would be hard to say no to.  I'm just not sure the marginal amount of fun you'd have in the more expensive M coupe would be worth it over the Bullitt.  I do like the car, but having the Mustang seems so intriguing. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 08, 2007, 10:38:27 PM
Back seat is not a big deal right now, I am single and relatively young.  I like the EVO, but I will have to see how the design plays out.  Right now, my top three are the 135i, Mcoupe, and Bullitt.  The 135i will mostly be dependant on price (which should be released in about a week).

I would choose an M coupe over a 135 also because if you find a new one under $45k, that'd be a great deal. Whereas you may have to deal with dealers trying to screw you over with "market adjustments" on the 135 :rage:

CALL_911

You could find a base Boxster. That could be fun.

I'd take the Z4 M over anything in that list, provided you get it cheap. But if you add a 987 to the list, I'd pick that.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

LonghornTX

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 08, 2007, 10:48:05 PM
I would choose an M coupe over a 135 also because if you find a new one under $45k, that'd be a great deal. Whereas you may have to deal with dealers trying to screw you over with "market adjustments" on the 135 :rage:
That I have taken care of.  I have a refundable deposit down @ MSRP.

LonghornTX

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 08, 2007, 10:52:51 PM
You could find a base Boxster. That could be fun.

I'd take the Z4 M over anything in that list, provided you get it cheap. But if you add a 987 to the list, I'd pick that.
I do love Boxsters, but a new one is out of my price range.  A base, no options, white Boxster is at the top of my price range.  I don't know if I love it enough to go without some options.

CALL_911

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 08, 2007, 10:56:08 PM
I do love Boxsters, but a new one is out of my price range.  A base, no options, white Boxster is at the top of my price range.  I don't know if I love it enough to go without some options.

Get a black one. At least drive it. I'm sure it will do something.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Vinsanity

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 08, 2007, 10:53:57 PM
That I have taken care of.  I have a refundable deposit down @ MSRP.

That's pretty much telling me you really want a 135i, and are just scouting opinions just to make sure you're making a wise decision :praise:

GoCougs

G35 if I were in your shoes.

LonghornTX

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 08, 2007, 10:56:59 PM
Get a black one. At least drive it. I'm sure it will do something.
Oh I've driven them and I love them, even the base models.

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 08, 2007, 10:56:08 PM

Coming from me, this may seem out of place, but I think it's a bit more prudent to not spend your entire budget.  Of course, with a new car you'll have a new car warranty, but with extra cash laying around you could get a plasma TV or something else.  More money is always better than less money, so if you can get the same amount of pleasure from a cheaper car, I'd go for it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

LonghornTX

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 08, 2007, 11:04:01 PM
That's pretty much telling me you really want a 135i, and are just scouting opinions just to make sure you're making a wise decision :praise:
Yea, I guess.  However, the prospect of owning something a little more exotic like the M coupe is definately throwing me for a loop.

LonghornTX

Quote from: GoCougs on November 08, 2007, 11:05:30 PM
G35 if I were in your shoes.
I worked at an Infiniti dealership this summer and drove the G35 MANY times (even drove the new G37 a couple times).  IMO, it does not compare to the driving experience of the BMW 3 series and I am really bored with the styling from being around them all the time.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on November 08, 2007, 11:08:39 PM
Coming from me, this may seem out of place, but I think it's a bit more prudent to not spend your entire budget.  Of course, with a new car you'll have a new car warranty, but with extra cash laying around you could get a plasma TV or something else.  More money is always better than less money, so if you can get the same amount of pleasure from a cheaper car, I'd go for it.
This is something that has popped into my head a couple times already.  I am graduating in December so I am going out on my own for the first time (financially speaking of course), i.e. there is no more safety net for me after school.  However, I have worked my ass off during school for this sole purpose (to buy a new car of my choice) and I kind of want to treat myself.  Especially with something impractical like the M coupe.  At the same time, though, the money I spend on this purchase could very well become very important if times get tough for some reason.  That is where the Bullitt comes in, it would be ~15K less than the M coupe and ~8k less than the 135i.  Plus it is also much more "wrenchable" if you know what I mean.

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 08, 2007, 11:16:15 PM
This is something that has popped into my head a couple times already.  I am graduating in December so I am going out on my own for the first time (financially speaking of course), i.e. there is no more safety net for me after school.  However, I have worked my ass off during school for this sole purpose (to buy a new car of my choice) and I kind of want to treat myself.  Especially with something impractical like the M coupe.  At the same time, though, the money I spend on this purchase could very well become very important if times get tough for some reason.  That is where the Bullitt comes in, it would be ~15K less than the M coupe and ~8k less than the 135i.  Plus it is also much more "wrenchable" if you know what I mean.

Yep, I'm in a similar situation.  I can either spend as much as I can or spend less and be a little more comfortable if things don't work out as I planned.  Logic says to hold off a little.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on November 08, 2007, 11:19:48 PM
Yep, I'm in a similar situation.  I can either spend as much as I can or spend less and be a little more comfortable if things don't work out as I planned.  Logic says to hold off a little.
Yea, especially as an Economics/Business major

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 08, 2007, 11:26:46 PM
Yea, especially as an Economics/Business major

Yep, I'm a finance major myself.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

S2000 CR, if not then the Z4 M.
The CR actually looks decent in real life pics.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raghavan on November 09, 2007, 12:08:39 AM
S2000 CR, if not then the Z4 M.
The CR actually looks decent in real life pics.
It does look appealing.

Rich

I've driven a regular S2000 and regular Mustang GT... my advice would be that if you live in a hilly twisty road area to get the S2000.  If you live somewhere with straight roads and pretty flat, I'd get the Bullitt
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Nethead

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 08, 2007, 11:16:15 PM

LonghornTX: Excellent posting, as have been all the postings in this entire thread so far--but r0tor and JYODER240 haven't found it yet.

Think life of the vehicle--things are pretty settled for the Nethead here at my age but they should be pretty wide open for young lads and lasses. Drop the two-passenger cars from your list--they aren't adaptable enough for the only vehicle you own unless you can afford to have a two-passenger vehicle as a second vehicle.  Pickups are an exception, but you didn't list any so I won't go there.

If I were to make a shortlist for myself from what remains of your list once you've crossed-off the two-passenger vehicles, it would be the BMW four-passenger vehicles and the Bullitt. Drive all of them, which I assume you have done for the model on which you have paid a refundable deposit.

Put a big plus beside every model that has a fold-down rear seat :rockon: and a second big plus if that rear seat actually folds flat :rockon:! A young man--single or unsingle--finds thousands of uses for all the space he can get in his vehicle. The more nymphos that can squeeze tightly in around you :thumbsup:, the safer you are in a collision--ever thought of that :ohyeah:? One can't be too safe on the roads today...

BMW parts are waaay expensive, and BMW aftermarket performance parts figure prominently in the national debt. But BMWs are solid performers anyway so you won't feel the need for them that you would if you had purchased a Monte Carlo SS. You may never feel the need to buy an aftermarket performance part for your BMW throughout the life of the car, except possibly some sportier tires.

Every performance part ever made exists for the Mustang, from the manufacturer or from thousands of aftermarket suppliers here and abroad. And the price differential between the Bullitt and your $45,000 limit can provide you with a monster Bullitt :heated: out in the driveway. But drive the Bullitt first, the harder the better.

Eventually, you'll trade or sell your purchase :(.  BMWs retain resale value like liquor at a halfway house :cheers:, and the Bullitt will probably sell for multiple times its purchase price if you are agreeable to letting the auction house get its ten percent cut.

I think you should start accepting deposits now from nubile, young, eager nymphos :wub: who want to squeeze into your new wheels so you won't have to hire off-duty deputies for crowd control if you wait until the delivery date. I'll bet you haven't thought of that... 
So many stairs...so little time...