Edmunds Mustang Bullitt test.

Started by 565, November 09, 2007, 10:00:11 PM

GoCougs

I just did a double take of the photos. This is much better than the '01 model. The plainess of this one really speaks. I really dig it.

SVT_Power

would it kill mustang sales if ford decided to actually improve its steering at the cost of giving up some of its bargain appeal?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on November 10, 2007, 09:58:01 PM
I've built up Mustang GT Premiums to 30K, so 31K for the Bullitt seems a bargain.

A G8 GT at $29,995 sounds even better!

FordSVT

Quote from: Raza  on November 10, 2007, 09:58:01 PM
I've built up Mustang GT Premiums to 30K, so 31K for the Bullitt seems a bargain.

If you buy a Premium GT ($27,000), add leather and all the interior trim options ($1500), add an after market h-pipe ($400)+ Ford's FR2 Drag pack ($1400) and FR3 handling pack ($1150), you've basically got yourself the $33,000 Bullitt in the test. You're also up to $32,000. So for your extra grand, you get the even nicer interior trim and steering wheel, the gray spoked wheels, the unique paint job and better resale value than a standard GT because of the Bullitt name.

I'd say that's a fair proposition.

Now, personally, I think a Premium GT with the handling package and a nice set of tires is the best performance deal going, but if you're got the extra few grand, there's a Bullitt with your name on it.  :lol:

SVT666

Quote from: FordSVT on November 11, 2007, 10:30:28 AM
If you buy a Premium GT ($27,000), add leather and all the interior trim options ($1500), add an after market h-pipe ($400)+ Ford's FR2 Drag pack ($1400) and FR3 handling pack ($1150), you've basically got yourself the $33,000 Bullitt in the test. You're also up to $32,000. So for your extra grand, you get the even nicer interior trim and steering wheel, the gray spoked wheels, the unique paint job and better resale value than a standard GT because of the Bullitt name.

I'd say that's a fair proposition.

Now, personally, I think a Premium GT with the handling package and a nice set of tires is the best performance deal going, but if you're got the extra few grand, there's a Bullitt with your name on it.  :lol:
Unless of course you're in Canada where a Mustang GT loaded to the nuts is $38,000.  Taking into account the exchange rate and a comparable Mustang GT in the US is $11,000 less.

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 10, 2007, 02:58:18 PM
It's better then the first gen Viper.

Hence why I said it's a somewhat useless test. Didn't some magazine also run a Mini Cooper S through it faster than an Enzo?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Soup DeVille

On this same topic (sort of), I gues there's still a pretty wide gap between so-called "bloggers" and genuine journalists.

Detroit News Bullitt article

I think if you're going to go around and call yourself an automotive expert of any sort, you'd better be able to actually drive a frikkin' car, huh?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JYODER240 on November 11, 2007, 11:02:48 AM
Hence why I said it's a somewhat useless test. Didn't some magazine also run a Mini Cooper S through it faster than an Enzo?

It's somewhat useless in the same sense that a 0-60 time is somewhat useless: it's a single measurement of a single facet of a multifaceted machine.

Width makes a huge difference in slalom testing, so narrower cars have an intrinsic advantage. However, it does give a good concept of the car's composure and stability in transition when comparing between other like-sized cars.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 11, 2007, 11:34:38 AM
It's somewhat useless in the same sense that a 0-60 time is somewhat useless: it's a single measurement of a single facet of a multifaceted machine.

Width makes a huge difference in slalom testing, so narrower cars have an intrinsic advantage. However, it does give a good concept of the car's composure and stability in transition when comparing between other like-sized cars.

Not just width, but weight distribution and drivetrain come into play as well.  Small, front heavy, FWD cars tend to do quite well in the slalom.  I suspect because they tend to rotate under lift throttle conditions more than a lot of more balanced front engine, RWD cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

LonghornTX

Quote from: r0tor on November 10, 2007, 09:42:07 AM
BFG KDW's are not bad tires and 235 width is not "very" narrow
KDWs are certainly not great and definately pale in comparison to any kind of dedicated performance tire and a 235 width is indeed quite narrow for a car this size and weight.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

Quote from: ArchBishop on November 10, 2007, 05:53:43 PM
Haha, Didn't we have a similar argument about the 350Z vs the Mustang GT. I claimed that the Z, even in base form, would be a quicker car. Next month, Car and Driver came out with an Issue, with Both the Z and and the Shebly GT. The Z was as fast, handled better, and was overall a better car. It also cost a lot less, and didn't look like shit, with a tacked on hood scoop.

I'm going to say the G35/7 Are better in all aspects.
Well, I hope you have thoroughly driven those cars then.  I have, and personally, I find not much special with the G35 (the G37 a little more so).  The Mustang has a soul that is not found in either of those cars.  Furthermore, on pure aural pleasure, they lack a great exhaust note above ~4-5K where they start to get rough sounding.  They are good cars and phenominal bargains with the equipment that they come with, but they fall a bit short on personality for me.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Nethead on November 10, 2007, 09:22:20 PM
All totally correct. Wider, stickier tires make a difference in all cars, but you have to measure carefully to see how much difference that actually is--identical tires do not make identical improvements to every car model that you can fit them on. We got no way to know how much difference 295s would make on a Bullitt, and that's just the width--compound, aspect ratio, sidewall stiffness, tire pressure, yada yada yada are other variables that can make more difference that 60 more millimeters of width, or not...Actually, a different set of test drivers might make more difference than any tire permutations & combinations we might come up with.

BTW, LongDude, where the Nethead here is, the MSRP on the window stickers of base Mustang GTs is just under $26,000 and I read that the MSRP of a Bullitt will be in the low $31,000s. Isn't that more like a $5,000 difference instead of "~$3300"? Still a bargain, and will probably bring three, four, or more times that at Barrett Jackson after you've raised Merry Hell in it for three decades of enthusiastic felony.

Like all Mustangs, it is a great starting point for a far more capable vehicle--with many different ways to go on a build-up. Why do you think 33 other tuner manufacturers besides Ford's own SVT build & sell their own tuner versions of the current Mustang?  And that doesn't count a half-dozen more who just build tuner versions of early Mustangs...One of those 33 tuner manufacturers produces tuner Mustangs in Germany, another builds tuner Mustangs in Italy, Jack Roush builds and exports a special tuner Mustang for the UK called the 420RE, and yet another tuner builds tuner Bullitt and Boss versions of the current Mustang exclusively for export to Japan--Mustangs aren't even exported to either of those four countries by Ford. Ford's definitely missing some opportunities there...

Of course, with no changes at all the new Bullitt offers great satisfaction for the buck. Drive one hard and see for yourself...

A dealer over on TMS has stated that the Bullitt package is $3300 after he ordered some for his dealership.  This particular car probably had HID and ambient lighting (like most of the Bullitts tested) or navigation and thus costed more.

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 11, 2007, 02:29:30 PM
KDWs are certainly not great and definately pale in comparison to any kind of dedicated performance tire and a 235 width is indeed quite narrow for a car this size and weight.

The Mustang has 235 width rears?  My Boxster runs 235 width on the fronts!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on November 11, 2007, 02:48:51 PM
235/50/18 all the way around

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 11, 2007, 02:52:12 PM
235/50/18 all the way around

I'd definitely move to summer tires on it if I were going to run the car year round.  Snow tires would make the most sense even if you have all seasons; I remember the scramble for sandbags when my friend ran all seasons on his Mustang in the winter.  Not just once did he encounter hills he couldn't climb.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=11970.msg638684#msg638684 date=1194818083
I'd definitely move to summer tires on it if I were going to run the car year round.  Snow tires would make the most sense even if you have all seasons; I remember the scramble for sandbags when my friend ran all seasons on his Mustang in the winter.  Not just once did he encounter hills he couldn't climb.
Snow tires FTW!  With snow tires on my Mustang I didn't need sand bags and I got up hills that most other cars with All-Season (really 3 season) tires couldn't or were having trouble with.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=11970.msg638678#msg638678 date=1194817731
I had 245's on my last Mustang and when it was stock I would say that was the appropriate width.  After the mods I was severely under-tired and had to bump the rears to 285's.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on November 11, 2007, 02:48:51 PM

A limited slip makes it a bit easier to put power to the ground, thus you can get away with narrower tires.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on November 11, 2007, 03:02:44 PM
A limited slip makes it a bit easier to put power to the ground, thus you can get away with narrower tires.

Plus oversized rears on a car with an already front-biased weigt distribution might not be the best ticket handling wise.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on November 11, 2007, 03:02:44 PM

Interesting.  Even if you don't increase width, something like a Yokohama Advan is going to generate more grip, right?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on November 11, 2007, 03:13:49 PM
Interesting.  Even if you don't increase width, something like a Yokohama Advan is going to generate more grip, right?

Provided the rubber compound is stickier, yes.
Needs more Jiggawatts

r0tor

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 11, 2007, 02:29:30 PM

i'd take the kdw's over the 225 width RE040's my car came with...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

LonghornTX

Quote from: r0tor on November 11, 2007, 04:25:58 PM
i'd take the kdw's over the 225 width RE040's my car came with...
Oops, I mistakingly typed KDW instead of KDWS.

Nethead

Quote from: M_power on November 11, 2007, 01:55:33 AM
would it kill mustang sales if ford decided to actually improve its steering at the cost of giving up some of its bargain appeal?
M_power: M_Dude, it's not about total sales as much as it is about total car for the money.  Yeah, the Mustang GT is the only US car offering 300 HP for under $26,000 brand new. But it's much more than 300 HP, and that's why you can still buy Mustangs but you can't buy any of the imitation Mustangs and you can't buy any of the musclecars--the one semi-exception being the resurrected Charger, and it's only available today as a four-door automatic. 

These bygone relics failed because what they did not have is the Mustang's central theme for success:  affordable performance in a really good car. A car that offered 2+2 seating without having to learn to love a four-door sedan, a station wagon, or a minivan. A car that working lads and lasses could afford to modify on the limited budgets that the working young must survive on. A fold-down split backseat, one-touch windows, power remote side mirrors, leather upholstery options, four wheel power discs with ABS, manual transmissions, and of course the usual amenities like automatics, A/C, P/S, P/B, radio/CD, yada yada yada.

Offering so much of what so many want for under $26,000 (convertibles are more) is NOT easy--else there'd be plenty of other successful 2+2 or four-passenger two-door V8 coupes in competition with the Mustang. Already, Dodge has cut Challenger first-year production from 30,000 units to only 5,000 units--and Challengers ain't even in the showrooms yet! Dodge has seen just how hard it can be, and GM is still hoping they can find the answers Dodge could not. There appears to be a much lower limit on what is genuinely affordable in the USA today than was previously believed to be the case.  When Ford is better off financially, the steering will be improved. It's quite good as is, fortunately. The only way to make a definitive steering improvement right now, when the runaway profits of the 'Sixties just aren't there, is to raise the price. The Mustang GT is currently priced squarely in the sweet spot so the line must be held on the price as long as possible. The resurrected GTO was not priced hugely above the Mustang like the Corvette is, but it became extinct again in just three model years even though massive discounts were offered. And yet the GTO was a four passenger two-door coupe with a bigger V8 and a six-speed manual. Go figure?
So many stairs...so little time...

Onslaught

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 10, 2007, 11:46:22 PM
Considering there is no way you will find one for MSRP, I say no.
I could get one for $100 over cost. But then again I work for a Ford dealer!

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on November 15, 2007, 02:48:46 PM
I could get one for $100 over cost. But then again I work for a Ford dealer!
Could you?  I spoke with a dealer about a GT500 and I asked the salesman if he can buy one.  He said "Yes, but only if I pay $20,000 over MSRP".

Vinsanity

Quote from: Nethead on November 15, 2007, 10:26:40 AM
Yeah, the Mustang GT is the only US car offering 300 HP for under $26,000 brand new. But it's much more than 300 HP,

Really? How much more? Like 400?

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 15, 2007, 04:29:17 PM
Really? How much more? Like 400?
Western Motorsports in Calgary told me that stock 2005+ Mustang GT's are hitting 267-272 RWHP when they dyno the car for a baseline before they do any modifications.  Factor in a 15% drivetrain loss and that's 315-320 crank horsepower.

Onslaught

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 15, 2007, 03:20:47 PM
Could you?  I spoke with a dealer about a GT500 and I asked the salesman if he can buy one.  He said "Yes, but only if I pay $20,000 over MSRP".
I could probably pull it off because I've been there 14+ years and my dad has for over 26. It wouldn't be the first time someone got a special model for cost at my place. Now if only I had the money to pick up that Ford GT we had that time......