Audi V8 Quattro

Started by Eye of the Tiger, November 11, 2007, 11:10:20 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on December 21, 2007, 08:50:18 PM
You're making me get the impression that I'm going to be driving Japanese cars and vehicles with boxer engines for the rest of my life.  Oh yeah, and small block Chevies.  They just seem a little less complex and a lot cheaper to maintain.

Some cars are worth the price, and some aren't.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on December 21, 2007, 08:36:15 PM
I think they will. They sound like a couple of nice guys, and the family-run shops like that are usually pretty good about stuff like that.

They only charge $65/hr for labor  - that makes $325. So and a total of $729.

Truth is, I wouldn't mind paying them a bit more since they had some a hard time with the rusted bolts. $325 + whatever markup for parts isn't really much to show for two-full days of work split between two people.

If they don't give you any grief about the original price after having all that much more work than they expected, they probably deserve a nice tip.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 21, 2007, 09:21:07 PM
If they don't give you any grief about the original price after having all that much more work than they expected, they probably deserve a nice tip.

And they shall get one, as long as they're nice about it.  :heated:

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on December 22, 2007, 04:03:56 PM
Next week sometime

Were you expecting the job to be so expensive?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on December 21, 2007, 08:43:18 PM
Are all German luxury cars so expensive to maintain?

The parts don't seem terribly unreasonable and that is pretty cheap labor, it is just a really complex car.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on December 22, 2007, 06:25:55 PM
The parts don't seem terribly unreasonable and that is pretty cheap labor, it is just a really complex car.

It's like, "How can we engineer these 10 parts to work together more efficiently than we could do with just 2 parts that wouldn't look nearly as cool but work just as well in most applications...?"

TBR

It's more like V8+AWD+Small engine compartment=pain in the ass.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on December 22, 2007, 04:18:44 PM
Were you expecting the job to be so expensive?

I was expecting nothing less than $1000 total for the repair bill. It's all good, but I miss my car! :cry:

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on December 25, 2007, 06:10:35 PM
I was expecting nothing less than $1000 total for the repair bill. It's all good, but I miss my car! :cry:

That's sad, especially given that I went with Yoder and Crosswire and did winter dorifto in my AWD car a little after Jordan had to leave.  I could imagine that you may be missing the fun of unleashing the beast on icy parking lots.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on December 25, 2007, 06:13:11 PM
That's sad, especially given that I went with Yoder and Crosswire and did winter dorifto in my AWD car a little after Jordan had to leave.  I could imagine that you may be missing the fun of unleashing the beast on icy parking lots.

You guise had a mini-GTG with doriftoo? How fun.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on December 25, 2007, 06:14:54 PM
You guise had a mini-GTG with doriftoo? How fun.

Yes, we did. 

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=12502.0

I rode in Crosswire's back seat for a few hours of dorifto (bigger rotation than sitting in the front) and I actually got car sick from it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on December 25, 2007, 06:18:21 PM
Yes, we did. 

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=12502.0

I rode in Crosswire's back seat for a few hours of dorifto (bigger rotation than sitting in the front) and I actually got car sick from it.

car-sick?  blasphemy!  :rage:

the Teuton

SVT_Power

Clarkson got car sick in that Prodrive car didn't he
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on December 25, 2007, 07:11:49 PM

Clarkson is a n00b.

the Teuton

Quote from: M_power on December 25, 2007, 07:11:49 PM

He puked, though.  I didn't.   :praise:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on December 25, 2007, 07:12:50 PM
He puked, though.  I didn't.   :praise:

Then you didn't get carsick.

Geeze!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Timing belt job is done - I'm going to pick it up later today. They don't want to tackle the blower motor without consulting some other experts, and they didn't have time to change the transmission fluid. Both front axles have torn CV boots, and it will need brake lines and rear brakes eventually. I'm not too disappointed, because I already knew most of this. They clocked 25-hours on the timing belt, but they sent me an invoice for the quoted 5-hours - that is good. I'll give them what I can for a tip, and I'll come back to them for the rest of that work, if they are't too hesitent to work on my car again! :lol:

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Ya, apparently, all of the bolts were seized. :huh:

Laconian

So, do the repairs exceed the purchase price of the car?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on December 27, 2007, 10:40:31 AM
So, do the repairs exceed the purchase price of the car?

Total bill as $839. I paid $900 for the car. :lol:
But I'll see if I can get them to take $950. I think they deserve a tip.

Raghavan

Quote from: NACar on December 27, 2007, 10:41:54 AM
Total bill as $839. I paid $900 for the car. :lol:
But I'll see if I can get them to take $950. I think they deserve a tip.
Holy crap, that's expensive!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raghavan on December 27, 2007, 10:43:55 AM
Holy crap, that's expensive!

For the timing belt replacement on a $50,000 car? Bah. A drop in the bucket!  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

I has the Audi back now. It started to snow as soon as I picked it up, so iz driving 30 miles back with foggy snowy ice windows because the fan is still busted. At least it has a shiny new timing belt and water pump!

Raghavan

Quote from: NACar on December 27, 2007, 10:46:36 AM
For the timing belt replacement on a $50,000 car? Bah. A drop in the bucket!  :lol:

Not so much a drop in the bucket when the car cost you $900. :evildude:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raghavan on December 27, 2007, 02:10:51 PM
Not so much a drop in the bucket when the car cost you $900. :evildude:

It's an 18-year-old V8 AWD German luxury sports sedan. As far as the car is concerned, $1000 is a drop in the bucket. The car doesn't know I only paid $900. If it ever found out, it would probably shit the bed, so keep your mouth shut! :heated:

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide